M*CARBO Brotherhood

Ruger LCP II .22 cal safety

When installing the take-down pin spring from Mcarbo I ran into a big problem. He safety on the .22 cal is impossible to re-install. I made a slave pin to hold the internal safety piece in place while the safety lever is placed in position. Then it is not allowing the trigger bar to be positioned. If you have experienced this it would make sense. Has anybody run into this and what was the result. Mine wound up without the safety only the safety lever to fill the void. BTW, I had to go back in and remove the Mcarbo take down pin spring since it was too weak to hold the slide lock bar resulting in the slide locking back during firing. Premature slide lock. The .380 and .22 cal slide lock bar are shaped differently.

5 Likes

Sorry I can’t help you but Welcome to the Brotherhood, hope you get it fixed very soon !

5 Likes

Thnx a lot DirtSailor, I’m glad to be a part of a group of folks like this. I’m an M*Carbo fan and have built two S2Ks. I’ve been working on guns for fifty years almost every day repairing, tuning, etc., but have never been licked until the little LCP II. The .380 is easy, but the .22 has beat me. That safety…!

6 Likes

@Genep welcome to the forum b.e.

3 Likes

Welcome to the brotherhood.

2 Likes

Thnx Hunter1916, glad to be a member.

3 Likes

Shanedog glad I found the forum and appreciate the welcome!

3 Likes

Brand new LCP II .22 @ range has a premature slide lock habit. 175 rnds & will do it once or more almost every mag (have 3). At first wouldn’t lock in battery also, but enough lube solved that. CCI Mini Mags & Stingers… Winchester Super X.

4 Likes

Any ideas why? A fix?

1 Like

Welcome to the Brotherhood @Hemi345.

1 Like

You might have seen my post about the same thing. The Mcarbo spring doesn’t have enough force on the lock lever to keep it down while shooting. I had to put the stock spring back. It’s better but sometime has premature lock back. BTW: have you disassembled your .22? I cannot get the safety mechanism back in so I’ve not got a safety, which is fine with me. Just wondering if it is humanly possible to get it back stock.

3 Likes

New gun, first 175 rnds. All stock. I found this forum while searching for premature locking. I field stripped, cleaned & lubed.

3 Likes

Thank you very much :+1:

1 Like

You’ve probably seen that the slide lock and ejector are one piece. Of course when the empty brass hits the ejector it affects the slide lock. I carefully bent the ejector toward the side of the frame. Just a little twist because you don’t want to change anything else. With the slide removed, I put an empty mag in and noted that the ejector was perfectly aligned with the left edge of the mag. The amount I twisted the ejector was about half it’s thickness - 0.5 mm or even less. If it doesn’t work, put it back. No big deal.
Let me know what happens.

2 Likes

@Hemi345 welcome to the forum

1 Like

Thanks all! Genep, did the tweak resolve your situation?

1 Like

I had one lock-back in 30 rounds last time. You know that dealing with .22 cal is not an exact science. So I like to blame occasional occurrences with any gun on the ammo no matter the firearm. Even .22 bolt action rifles have issues sometimes that is ammo related.

2 Likes

Just got back from range. 3 mags & 1/2 brands of ammo. Cheaper shit like Armscor or American Eagle was useless. Even Mini Mag was a shit fest. Stinger & Golden Bullet done ok. Stinger initially had zero issues with 3 mags. 150 rounds later it too was less than acceptable. Gun was lubed, but not really wet… premature slide lock or just slide sticking back.

1 Like
  • 1/2 dozen brands of ammo

I see talk about carrying a .22 cal for self defense and how the .22 is effective enough, but to me it’s the function of all rim fire weapons themselves that keep them in the plinker category - none are as reliable as center fire. That being said, I suggest you may have enough going on to send it back to Ruger.

2 Likes