M*CARBO Brotherhood

Ruger American Ranch

Just put some finishing touches on my new Ranch 300 BLK. Can’t wait to shoot it!

13 Likes

@tlrosega 300 BLK is very interesting. I have one in a 10.5" AR pistol. Try the 220 gr. subsonic round, alot of fun.

10 Likes

Thanks… I was looking at the 220 gr bullets at the store the other day. Really large shell for a small casing. I look forward to trying it.

6 Likes

Cant wait fo the range report

7 Likes

Love the look of that rifle. Very interesting in the 300BLK gotta say. Will be curious to see the range report myself.

6 Likes

I’ll let you guys know how it performs as soon as I get a chance to get our and shoot. Going to be a bit as I have a fair amount of business travel coming up.

4 Likes

I’m interested as well, liking the looks of these firearms. :+1:t3: Is this a compact model?

4 Likes

They are standard with a 16.12" barrel, so it is kind of compact. I love the feel of it.

2 Likes

I recently picked up the 22lr talo version. Needs better rest site. The rear peep is two circles. Ok for about 50 yrds but out to 100 I need better. The front green fiber is fine
I need to find the time to switch rear sights and take it back out to the range
Great action . The bolt smooths up as you shoot but initial 100 yard accuracy is suspect.

Most ruger 22lr need about 500 to 1000 rounds to settle the barrel.

Time will tell. Still fun to have bolt action that can use 25 round mag

4 Likes

What muzzle brake are you sporting?

2 Likes

Bought it on Ebay… 5/8" x 24 TPI for .308, .338, .300Muz%20Brk

3 Likes

Well, I kind of bit on this worm…or one like it anyway. I quite like the look of your carbine length Ranch but was also interested in something with a longer barrel (everything else I own is a carbine), so I went with a Predator, 22" barrel, chambered in .223 and takes AR magazines.

20190717_050125

Only down side is, while I don’t mind the shape of the stock, it is light plastic (not the kind used in my Ruger PCC) and I had plans on possibly replacing it with something from Boyd’s. Unfortunately, Boyd’s has officially informed me they do not make any stocks compatible with the Ruger American Predator that accepts AR magazines. In fact, it would seem no one makes a replacement stock or chassis to work with this particular model. Boy, I can pick 'em sometimes… :grinning:

Anyway, aside from the scope being a bit wonky out of the box, no real issues to report. Put 60 rounds through it at the range this morning, sighted in fairly quickly at 100 and was ringing steel at 200 and 300 shortly thereafter with relative ease. Overall pretty happy, seems fairly accurate, fun to shoot and the bolt action changes things up a bit. For the price these are hard to beat.

6 Likes

Sorry for the late reply. Been traveling. I like the looks of this rifle. Having bolt action for .223 is a nice change. There are a lot of possibilities here.

3 Likes

I believe this is one of the best buys.
I do not have one, but often believe I “need” one.

This rifle is time tested and the bugs have been worked out.
My choice in this or any additional rifle these days would be in the .300 AAC Blackout.

I believe that to be a good caliber choice for many. It is not the best choice for Buffalo at 2 miles or the best choice for an asshole breaking down your door. There is no best all purpose round, but this comes close. Also prices have come way down for ammo.

As to this Ruger, it is a no brainer for most of us. The AR is now a great hobby gun due to mix and match parts or built your own. The AR format is excellent. Still, for off the shelf, the Ranch rifle is hard to beat.

6 Likes

I bought one of those minus the scope and have yet to shoot it. I need to find some sights and (or) a scope for it.

5 Likes

@Partsed I had only planned to go with the rifle like you, actually didn’t realize they had the deal with the scope initially. But then I saw the deal and figured I couldn’t pull it off for the price as separate items…and I was pretty sure a scope was in the cards anyway. I have a nice set of folding irons I pulled off my AR but figured the rail on this gun was a bit on the short side for them. This is the third Vortex optic I have now and I’m really pleased with the consistent quality they seem to put out. It performed well at 100 thru 300 yards and I think I’m really taking to the dead hold BDC reticle as well.

The rifle seems quite accurate, next time I get to the range I want to spend some more time really getting it dialed in tighter. If memory serves, I think my groups last time (first time) out were in the area of 2" to 2.5" @100 but I feel like there’s more in it if I invest the time, even with my eyes being quite shite. The bolt action takes me back to when I was a kid, walking along hedgerows with a couple of buddies, bolt action .22 tucked under my arm, enjoying a sunny day in the fields with friends and without a care in the world…oh, how times have changed…

5 Likes

Finally got mine out to the range. Only had 50 yards, but was able to dial in 1" group with the multi-reticle red/green dot in the pic above. Really like the 220gr sub-sonic. The muzzle break reduces flip to almost nothing.

I already had the optic (bought it for another rifle thinking the optic was smaller than it is) and it’s a good fit for this rifle. Smoothest bolt I’ve ever seen “out of the box.” Overall I’m very happy with the Ranch in 300 AAC.

7 Likes