M*CARBO Brotherhood

Ruger 10/22 Takedown

I recently sold an old Spanish K98 Mauser. It really wasn’t in the greatest shape, just wanted to get rid of it. Got over 300 for it and some old surplus ammo. Was more than happy with that. So I decided to turn it into a plinker. Decided on a Ruger 10/22 with a stainless 16 inch barrel. Kinda wanted the takedown model too. I know they are made, but out of stock every where. Why are these things so hard to find? Am I missing something?

And is there a better option out there besides the 10/22? I haven’t looked into .22 rifles in a long time.

4 Likes

@Jperr

Joe, I have not ‘tried’ to shop for a Takedown 10/22 and don’t know why they are so difficult to find. If you are a ‘little’ mechanically inclined it isn’t a difficult rifle to build on your own 10/22 (Custom) and there are a plethora of shops and videos to help you build a takedown of your dreams. www.tacticalinc.com. This is a wonderful place to start and they have great customer service. I live in Maryland and I get my parts in a three day turn-a-round time, at most!

3 Likes

@lonewolf

I was not aware of this. Will definitely look into it. Thanx.

3 Likes

@Jperr

You are quite welcome. You can purchase an 80% receiver and have it sent to your house without an FFL. All the ‘pockets’ inside the receiver are complete. You drill buffer holes, trigger assembly holes, guide rod spring, clean out, barrel v-block holes (little difference w/takedown model.) Get a jig, bit kit and drill press and you’re in business. You just cannot resell it (100% legal.) The jig is aluminum and you could get more than one made if you align and drill your holes appropriately. Take your time. I had a blast!

3 Likes

@Jperr

Here is a picture of mine completed.

It weighs 5 pounds 3 ounces… BTW, you might have a ‘challenge’ getting a black receiver. I sanded and painted my receiver. I baked each coat 300 degrees for 3 hours using a lightly textured paint.

7 Likes

Build it yourself… Brownell’s has stripped 1-/22 receivers (both normal and takedown versions) with or without Picatinny rails. Very easy to build up your own, and not end up with a box of spare factory parts.

3 Likes

@Jperr

This is also another fine option, just remember that a receiver is a ‘firearm’ and must be shipped to an FFL dealer of your choice. You will have to fill out a 4473 form and wait the ‘additional’ mandatory time required. You will pay on average an ‘additional’ $25/or more transfer fee and remember the ‘satisfaction’ of building your very own custom 10/22 to your liking. The pros may be less ‘initial’ expenses, but in the long run, if you are anything like an ‘average’ gun enthusiast, you will spend equally/more with the upgrades! A Ruger factory trigger will be unacceptable (in my humble opinion) at almost 6 pounds! The Ruger BX Trigger will pull between 2.5-3 pounds right out of the box… Get a M*CARBO Trigger Spring Kit (easy install) for $17.95/Inc. Shipping and you will see an improvement from around 1.4-1.7 pounds (without polishing the trigger and sear!) In what capacity is the demand for this firearm? While the stock Ruger barrel, by all means is no slouch, you will see much improvement in groups in a barrel swap (also ‘adding’ an additional $100 plus.) I would venture to guess that you will be spending equally as much as you would be ‘saving’ by the time that you build a SPECIFIC firearm that FITS your shooting habits? Just ask yourself these basic questions before you spring into your purchase. The excitement of mere ‘shopping’ gets the most of us? Happy shooting…

4 Likes

I appreciate everything you guys are saying here. However, I’m just looking for a plinker. @lonewolf, the rifle you made is a genuine work of art. And I’m probably just a tad bit intimidated trying to build my own. So I’m just going to go with a factory model…for now. It has intrigued me tho. But having never even held a 10/22, I will do the factory thing to at least see the mechanics of it. Maybe try one later in life. Lol. But, really, I DO appreciate the info.

4 Likes

@Jperr

Well, I guess you now know my personal infatuation of the 10/22??? Laughing madly. It really is a ‘cool’ gun and I know you will enjoy it! I don’t believe that you even mentioned that you had NEVER held this gun? Big smiles! Did you think about finding one used? Try www.gunbroker.com and sign up! There are many firearm dealer listings and I am sure that you will find your FOREVER PLINKER!!! :+1: At least I had ARMED you with a plethora of ideas???

4 Likes

@lonewolf Yes, you did my friend.

3 Likes

@Jperr

I have the Ruger 10/22 takedown model. It comes with a carrying case and, on a good day, breaks down really fast. Can also be assembled fast.

Accuracy is fine. Weight is fine. Comes with a 10 shot rotary magazine, but other, higher-capacity magazines can be acquired/used with the 10/22.

I got mine for just under $400 (new).

Not sure why you are having trouble finding it. I had no trouble finding mine.

3 Likes

I’m looking for a 16 inch stainless barrel. I Can find the 18 inch barrels in a lot of places. The 16 inch ones are just sold out everwhere I look.

1 Like

@Jperr

Good luck. I didn’t care about the barrel length since it was/is take down.

Mine is stainless steel, though - which I did/do care about.

@Jperr

Check my ‘peeps’ at Tactical Innovations 16.5" wont affect your velocities because you did say this was a plinker and .5 inch additional makes a barrel legal in all states because you own a long rifle and not a ‘small barrel rifle’ where it would fall under NFA Regulations and a ‘tax stamp’ would be required to register… Get yourself a ‘blue’ target barrel (less expensive than black nitride.) However, I prefer the nitride… It is ‘pretty…’ Big smiles.

@Jperr

There are four Ruger 10/22 Takedowns with 16 inch threaded stainless barrels on Gunbroker right now. They come with the Magpul Hunter X-22 stock and are around $450.

I have (3) 10/22 TDs…

image image image

6 Likes

I live in southern Oregon and Sportsman warehouse had them in stock yesterday. I have had one for over a year now I love it it’s nice to be able to take it down.It has a locking nut that snugs up the barrel to the receiver nice and tight and that does not have to be adjusted every time you take it down and put it back together. It’s nice to be able to take it down and put it in a simple day pack backpack. Only thing I didn’t like was the front sight, it sucks big time.

2 Likes

Get the black one with the birdcage flash hider. It is threaded so you can put a suppressor on it. Then get the Magpul backpacker and you have an awesome fun gun. Also put a red dot on it.

I went with an 18 inch stainless barrel. Picking it up today. Ordered from Kentucy Gun Co. online for $360. Couldn’t find any 16 inch stainless barrels, at least at that price point, and only had limited time before the “boss” found more “appropriate” things for my new found funding. If I let it sit around too long it turns itself into a pair of shoes or a new purse. So the old 8mm will at least bring a new firearm into the family.

2 Likes

@Jperr

You can always send out that 18" barrel and have it cut down and rethreaded. I had this done years ago on a stainless 10/22 and a stainless Mini 30 by gunsmiths I found on Ebay that offer this service and the work was outstanding.

4 Likes