M*CARBO Brotherhood

RIT Dyeing Magazines/Parts

I’ve been reading a bit about dyeing lighter colored magazines and parts.
I ordered some sand PMAG floor plates and magazines to play with.
Found a few recipes here and abouts. Anyone else done any of this?
The results I’ve seen online look really good.

4 Likes

Mind sharing the links to the online sights?? I thought RIT dye was only for cloth. At least that is all Ma and Grandma used RIT for. :grin:

4 Likes

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/Post-Your-Rit-Dye-Formulas-/124-281360/

I’d have to look up more, but this should give you a starting point.

4 Likes

Ive used Dylon Dye, because they have a nice olive drab, where as RIT green is brite green, not on any camo spec ive seen . ON RIT I used 1/3 bottle green, 1/4 bottle brown, and 1/2 bottle yellow to gent a dingy olive drab on A bunch of ACU DIGITAL pouches, belts packs, and the like, never did a magazine, but did a bunch of plastic buckles that were on gear, they came out a lil darker than the material.
Joanne’s sells spray on camo dye in aerosol can kits, OD,Sand, Earth, and black, 4 cans to a pack, that will dye nylon and rayon, and mixes of materials, it does hold on plastic better, just remember its best if you warm it up first, out in tha sun on a hot day is fine.
with RIT and DYLON its in boiling water, ya gotta watch for warpage.
alo, what you dye it to to start is about 1/2 of what it will be, with the 2 hot application dye’s, as after the Dye “set’s” you wash it again, to get the excess off, and there is your final color.
the automotive people also sell satin paints that are made for plastic, just remember if ya use em on magazines or forends, that after drying you need to shoot them with a satin clear coat, to keep gun oil and the like from peeling them…ACU%20CAMO

6 Likes

I’m after the brighter colors right now. Hunter Orange and Zombie Green.

Got the formulas for both and ordered the dye.

4 Likes

@GOBLIN: The reason I like this forum… Someone always has the answer to any question. :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks for the info @GOBLIN!! :+1::+1:

5 Likes

I have Rit dyed my keyboard in the past. make sure to use synthetic Rit dye and to keep the water or parts moving so that they get evenly dyed. also test a small portion of the plastic first to check for compatibility reasons. best of luck!!!

4 Likes

Now that is an idea!! Tired of the black or putty gray keyboards. Have several in the boneyard to play with.

1 Like

i actually have a “sleeper” computer that I had to match the color with a decent keyboard. so I bought a white keyboard and dyed the keys. tried dyeing the frame aswell but apparently they coated it with something that reacted with the dye poorly and turned pink. I ended up spray painting the frame.

2 Likes

Rain out today, staying at the hotel with nothing to do? Nope.
Went and bought a cheap crock pot, tongs and some dye.

I’ll post pictures of my results when I get 'er done.

5 Likes

I did a Hunter Orange first. Here it is compared to the original FDE.

And here is the Zombie Green alongside the Orange.
Would be a closer match using Sand instead of FDE.

7 Likes

So … you got me wondering if dyeing a clear mag would result in a translucent, tinted mag.

5 Likes

Interesting. Might have to order a few and try it.

3 Likes

look at the material the clear ones are made from. some clear plastics get really brittle with heat

4 Likes

I’m using a slow cooker and not getting the temp too high.
All it takes is 140° or so. I think most material can handle that.

I made a quick trip to Academy Sports, but no clear or sand.
Not even FDE, they only have black and MCT, both too dark to use.

3 Likes

I’m now thinking of buying a new set of FDE S2k furniture now.
Make a zombie/foliage green subbie. How’s that sound?

3 Likes

Be extremely careful making the buy. Yes, the Subs that were splitting at the hinge were actually colored polymer. But … before that, all colored subs were Cerakote over black. After the fun with self destructo plastic, I don’t know how Kel Tec resolved their colored polymer problems.

4 Likes

I was thinking of that, myself. Probably not gonna chance it.
I’m very happy with the black I have on it now.

If Chris comes out with the 80% receiver, then game on.

5 Likes

I had found a Walther P22 that was wildberry pink. I tried dying black with rit liquid dye and i could only get a very dark navy which I’m good with. I had dawn scrubbed the whole lower to make sure no oils kept the dye from penetrating so I think that worked. Eventually I went full boil for quite a bit of time but could not get darker.

4 Likes

I ordered a couple clear 10-22 25 round mags, we’ll see what happens.
Needed some 25 rounders for it anyways. Even if they are Champion. lol

4 Likes