M*CARBO Brotherhood

Rifle, Entry Level

Looking at entry level hunting rifles for my 19 year old son. He’s been bow hunting but wants to go to the rifle scene. We are in Florida, flat hot and not the biggest dear around. The hogs have been known to get bigger than the dear. I’m into shooting but have never hunted a day in my life. And…GO

11 Likes

308, pig n deer. 22-250 deer cayote

8 Likes

.30 WCF AKA .30-30. There’s a reason this cartridge is over 100 years old.

11 Likes

I would second this one, particularly if you will be hunting in wooded areas or areas with lots of scrub brush and undergrowth. The .30-30 is a great round for punching through and staying on target.

10 Likes

I’ve done plenty of hunting in Florida. .30-30 or .308 would work just fine, but I like my .30-06 for everything. If prior military and meet the requirements. Florida has the best veteran program for hunting and fishing.

https://www.fdacs.gov/Divisions-Offices/Florida-Forest-Service/State-Forest-Recreation/Operation-Outdoor-Freedom

8 Likes

.308 itll do just fine on any animal in the continental 48 except moose and a couple introduced exotics, and is reasonably cheep and available every where. Get a remington 700, and a half decent scope and your in business.

10 Likes

Win model 70. 308. Entry-level that has and will last the test of time.

8 Likes

My first two thoughts have been presented by everybody. I’m typing anyway. .308 will buy you a little range over 30 30. You mention he’s been bow hunting. If he’s been successful, a 30 30 lever gun is the natural next step.

10 Likes

30 30 is a good choice, but I’m sticking with 308. can’t imagine a more versital, modern, and plentiful round unless you start talking 762x39…(Just kidding!)
And in a Win bolt action…

7 Likes

something in a brush gun. say a scout type if you want a scope something in a lever action more better. FL like the lowcountry, lots of tight woods,blackwater swamp, not a lot of long shots.
look thru winchester, Henry , Marlin. 35REM , 30/30 CF 45/70Gvt
look at the Henry Long ranger in .556NATO ,243 WIN,308 WIN, 6.5 CREEDMOOR…
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

8 Likes

Another good choice!

7 Likes

@rcdave09 a 243 is a good rifle little or no recoil

6 Likes

@hunter1916 I went with the 6mm. I loose about 100fps in the first 200m compared to the 243, but out 300 to 500 m i hold bout 300 more fps than the 243. both are excellent rounds though and Kieran i do so enjoy em out of a good bolt action.

8 Likes

Entry Level rifle, I would go for a 30-30, if your hunting in a clearing a 308 or 30-06. My Choice is a .357 magnum rifle. It has all the punch for hogs yet good on deer.

3 Likes

@GOBLIN its a pers onel i suppose we can only recemend but happy shooting buck

5 Likes

Sorry for the delayed response. This whole job thing is getting in the way lately. I appreciate the responses guys. Most hunting will be for dear and hog for sure.

6 Likes

As a veteran that never got hurt, shot, PTSD, ran over or deaf I get NOTHING :joy:

8 Likes

@rcdave09

Entry level - probably want to keep the cost and maintenance to a minimum. Also, want to stick to one of the more popular calibers. Hard to go wrong with .30-30 lever action rifle (eg. Marlin 336). It is fast firing, easy to find and cheap to buy. No magazines to buy (most lever action rifles are tube fed), and has a proven track record. You can find lots of hunting videos on the .30-30 on Youtube (among other places). Alternatively, you could try the Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum. Probably just as deadly up to about 100 yards, holds 10 rounds, and not quite as loud as the .30-30 (in my younger days, I found out the hard way!). Plus, you could also have a backup handgun (that you could hunt with, too), also in .44 magnum (Ruger Redhawk or Ruger Super Redhawk, for examples).

Rifles in .308 would be even more flexible in terms of what you could hunt with them. And Henry makes a box-fed “Long Ranger” in lever action in several calibers (including .308). It would be a fine gun to own, but would cost several hundred dollars more (to buy) than the Marlin 336. It would also be bigger and heavier than the 336. Of course, with the .308 caliber, you could instead opt for a bolt action rifle (Ruger American rifles are a good, lower cost choice), or even a semi-automatic (though these will typically cost a bit more than the budget bolt action rifles).

Marlin 336 (.30-30)

Marlin 1894 (.44 magnum)

Henry Long Ranger (.308)

Ruger American Rifle (.308)

6 Likes

Savage has been making a detachable magazine 308 levergun for about 100 years.
99E
Very nice rifle.

7 Likes

As a hunter with over 30 years experience, that has hunted with .357 revolver, up to a .458 Winchester magnum, the most important thing is proper shot placement. That being said, I am also color blind, and don’t want an animal to run away, and have to find it. Cartridges like .357 magnum, .44 magnum, and .30-30 just don’t create the hydrostatic shock… The .243 is a fine cartridge, but we only use premium bullets like Nosler partitions in it. Same thing with the 7mm-08. If you don’t handload, I would recommend .308, or .30-06 because premium ammunition is readily available. As far as hogs go, they seem to have no nervous system, and the ones I’ve taken have had a really thick chest, to slow down/stop bullets. Regardless of what you use, brush/branches will deflect your bullet.

9 Likes