M*CARBO Brotherhood

Removing and replacing sights on CZ 75 D PCS

I am contemplating replacing the sights on my CZ 75 with something else easier to see. The originals are “glo-in-the-dark” ones (not tritium but actually glow in the dark paint). The paint is a pale green which has terrible contrast.

I’ve watched a couple of youtube vids where the guy just drives them out with a brass drift punch and the installs the new one using the reverse process.

I had been looking at sight pusher tools but when I saw this, I was wondering if this is a viable way of installing the rear sight.

I’m pretty mechanically inclined (I have no problem rebuilding motorcycle engines) but had always thought that you needed a sight pusher tool to install the sights.

I’m only doing this once or twice so if I don’t need to spend a bunch of money on a specialized tool, that would be my preference. I already have the brass punch set.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

5 Likes

I use a pusher, but in a pinch, a brass drift does work, so does a delrin drift punch and it doesn’t mar the finish.
but saying that i have seen some ballux up the finish by using the wrong thing, plus its easier to tweak sighting in with a pusher…

3 Likes

Thank you Goblin. I have access to Delrin rods of different diameters. I was actually wondering today if those would work. Like you said, it wouldn’t mar the finish like even brass could.

I was also wondering if the shock of driving in the sight with a drift punch could crack the tritium ampule. I don’t know if those are a type of plastic or glass.

3 Likes

Ive never seen it actually cause one to fall out, I had one Trijicon FSP on a H&K 93 get loose(retained by roll pin) and they replaced it free of charge with a new front and rear set, ( they wanted the years to match)
I think if you could hit it hard enough to cause it to fall out you damage the barrel or slide.

3 Likes

matched years makes sense as the decay rate wouldn’t be the same otherwise.

3 Likes

@Timbo @GOBLIN That’s how I do it, and when I replaced mine I was a little Leary after all the Smack Talk on how hard they are to do, Left- to Right ! alot easier than my 1911’ Piece of cake’

3 Likes

@DivaMarie Just to clarify, you drifted it out?

4 Likes

Yes Sir I’m just using a good know brass punch and wooden block’ I do not have a sight tool’ That left - right was looking at sight View/top of Slide.

5 Likes

ok great! Thank you!

4 Likes

No Problem, If a metal slide on this, and you can can heat it up, put the new sight in freezer before, should help the O clearance issues, on reinstall.

5 Likes

@Timbo

I ‘invested’ a small amount in an installation tool (after struggling with Glock sights.) If you enjoy tediously filing then switching off to your brass drift punch set then you probably won’t require making the investment. Since there are too many ‘toys’ available for the firearm enthusiast, your $45 to $75 investment will receive ‘dividends’ in a very short amount of time… I am NOT disappointed that my set is taking up a few cubic inches in my tool box!!! :+1:

5 Likes

Like @DivaMarie stated, a wooden block has worked for me in the past.

3 Likes