Removed front sight from gen 1... problem

I was a little surprised that after applying some heat and leaning into getting off the plastic front sight, I found a series of knurled rings under the plastic. Unfortunately I am new here and cannot upload a photo. WTF.

Anyway… Do these rings come off or are they machined into the barrel? I can’t tell.

Why it matters: I have an old Gen 1 and I’m doing a full rebuild and upgrades. My plan is to add the Red Lion hand guard and a bunch of Mcarbo upgrades. I dont want or need a front sight at all. But these barrel rings present a wrinkle in my plan. I was expecting the barrel underneath the OEM sight to be smooth.

4 Likes

I dunno your answer. My Sub 9 (predecessor to your Gen 1 S2k) is smooth barrel, but I did not do the removal. Red Lion are good folks that WILL know your answer.

6 Likes

Yea. I suppose that’s the best next step. Just call Red Lion. I have 3 Sub 2000’s and have never seen this before.

3 Likes

Here’s a pic. It looks like it was pressed on. I may have no choice but to cut the barrel. Then put a compensator or brake on permanently to keep it legal.

2 Likes

Can’t be that serious. Red Lion has been selling replacement sights for many years. Plus the forend install requires sight removal.

I talked to Red L. I have a very early version of the gen1 sub 2000 that used a pressed-on metal bushing. They recommended slitting it (carefully) then cracking it in two.

Or… I could simply replace the barrel. I’ve asked Kel Tec about that. No response yet.

Final resort: If I cut it off, I lose about 1.5-2 inches so I’d have to thread the muzzle and pin a compensator or brake permanently to maintain a legal barrel length.

This old Sub2k is not a fancy or expensive firearm so I don’t want to spend a fortune. But I do like the Sub 2000 and have a gen 2 all tricked out with MCarbo upgrades.

2 Likes

Just score it nice, clean and deep and pad the opposite side and take a nut splitter to the bushing.

1 Like

I’d try to cut it off. If you mess it up and have to replace the barrel, it would probably still be cheaper than cutting the barrel, having it threaded, and pinning a muzzle device (unless you’re a machinist or have a machinist friend that will do it cheap). I was looking into threading my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. The quote I got “buy an aftermarket barrel, it will be cheaper”

1 Like

Agree. I’d have to do all that gunsmithing myself to make that pay. Cutting a barrel is pretty easy. So is re-crowning it. Threading is a little bit more complicated but you can do all of that with hand tools and a lot of patience.

I’m sure everyone has thought this: Why put $500+ and all that effort into upgrading a $350 used rifle? You can buy a new Sub 2k for 500 bucks. The answer is… it interests me. Beats watching Netflix and farting into the same couch cushion all day.

My name is not Dung by the way. But I wish it was.

1 Like

That seems to be the consensus. So it shall be.

2 Likes

You don’t have to tell me. The 6.5 Creedmoor I mentioned is a Savage Axis. I paid $130 out the door for it, brand new too. Another reason I didn’t have the barrel threaded was with it being a sporter barrel profile, it was too thin to have threaded anyways. I would have had to shorten the barrel. I don’t have the tools or comfort to do that myself lol. So maybe down the road I’ll swap the barrel out

1 Like

@Dung
Welcome to the Forum
No expert here but as a last suggestion, however it might apply, did you try a release agent. If not try applying a really good release/lubricant such as G96 Gun treatment, my go to penetrant.
I’ve had success, leave it for a day and try again.
Cheers,

2 Likes

I did get the bushing off. I scored it with a Dremel then gently used a big nut splitter on it. It cracked at the score and I was able to easily twist it off the barrel. Red Lion suggested the Dremel approach. They are always very responsive and helpful.

BTW: Kel-Tec support was utterly useless. Back and forth over email for a week. They finally confessed that they will not sell barrels or certain other parts. They insisted I send the entire firearm to them for repairs. I tried to explain I just wanted a replacement and don’t need repair. Like talking to a wall. There was no way I was going thru that hassle, extended wait, or expense.

So now, with that hurdle out of the way, I’m placing orders with Red Lion and MCarbo to turn this sows ear S2K into a silk purse.

6 Likes

Great job! Let’s us know how she turns out for you :+1:t2:

2 Likes

@Dung
Also glad it worked out for you.
Enjoy the rebuild.

2 Likes