Remington 1187-Tactical Shotgun Conversion

Hi all! I finally had some time this past weekend to tackle a little “tactical” gunsmithing project I’ve had on the back burner for a while. To see how it turned out, check out the video below. As always, be sure to let me know what you think after you watch it!

Howard

7 Likes

In the beginning of your video, does that show a guy shooting a Ruger Old Army percussion pistol? Also did my own conversion on a tac 870. Swapped out the synthetic stock for an M-4 style adjustable one and added a magpul fore end, short pic rail and sling point. It came with the extended mag tube so it’s ready to go. A good shotgun should have a place in everyone’s arsenal. Went with the 870 because that was our long gun in our squad cars back in the early days.

1 Like

Close. The opening sequence is me shooting a Pietta reproduction of a Remington New Model Army revolver. The Remington NMA and the Ruger Old Army look similar. I don’t blame you for going with the 870 for your build. I’m a big fan of them too. I just wanted an autoloader to add to my collection.

Howard

4 Likes

Noticed it because I have a Ruger Old Army. That is one top quality gun, based off of the 1858 Remington-Beals and a favorite among Union Ofs’s. They liked that it has the slots between chambers to rest the hammer so it can be carried with all 6 chambers loaded, unlike the Colts.

I do like the autoloaders too. Our 870’s were replaced with Benelli’s, which were seriously fun to shoot. Those were eventually replaced by AR-15s.

I always liked the Ruger Old Army revolvers. I still wouldn’t mind picking one up if I could find a used one for a good price.

Howard

1 Like

Unfortunately, it looks like our trusty scatterguns are slowly going the way of the dinosaurs. Rifles are great, and I very much respect their capabilities; but I still have a soft spot for a good shotgun.

Howard

2 Likes

Got mine through Cabelas for $450. They are normally a bit overpriced on their guns, but did a trade through their used guns Dept. which “coincidently” was run by a friend I went to high school with. It came with a full kit including round balls and a holster, so it was a very good deal. I still see them listed on gunbroker.com, some starting around $450 and upwards to $650 or more depending on model. Mine is the 7 1/2 in. blued model with adjustable sights. They also come in stainless and in 5 1/2 in. There are also those same configurations, but without adjustable sights which were made for shooting in Cowboy Action events, which do not allow adjustable sights. Mine is in 45 cal and I have 147 gr round balls and 220 gr conicals for it. With 40 grains of Triple F the ballistics exceed a 45 acp.

That sounds great! It seems like whenever I see one, they are somewhere north of the $650 mark. That’s probably why I don’t have one yet.

Howard

By the way, if you are interested, here is the video that opening segment came from.

Howard

3 Likes

@hrfunk enjoy your videos and your posts.

“Water bottle desperados” made me laugh! :grin::+1:

2 Likes

Thanks John! The first time I ever heard myself say “water bottle desperados” on video I thought “Oh, man is that corny.” The viewer response to that segment however has been very positive. So now I just have fun with it. I keep looking for tiny cowboy hats and cigarettes to give the desperados a little more personality!

2 Likes

@hrfunk
Excellent gunsmithing lesson, as usual… I had noticed some ‘audio drop’ in your sound quality (then again, I am aging and that should be ‘expected?’) Big smiles! Seriously, I enjoy having your video available for ‘hands on experience’ with firearms that I do not own! They definitely give me the ‘bonus’ of learning before buying the weapon and deciding that I don’t have the ability/comfort level to work on it! :+1:

I’m glad they’re helpful! For some reason (gremlins?) I have a constant battle with my audio. When I was on the range the wind was giving me fits. I understand that. In my shop, however, I can’t figure out why it occasionally fluctuates. Sooner or later I’ll nail that down.

Howard

2 Likes

Thought I’d run this one up the pole one more time just in case someone missed it yesterday.

Howard

3 Likes