Reloads and those guys that despise them!

Ok what is with some of these guys at these gun ranges hating on reloads like some kind pecking order or status symbol. Those guys that have kind of snarky attitude in their voice when they say “I dont use reloads!” “I would never use reloads in any my guns! Good luck!” I just ahhh! These guys probably shoot Kimbers, Stakatos or Daniel Defense and say those are the only guns that should exist and everything else is garbage! Am I the only one that slightly gets triggered buy those guys? Please tell me im not alone!

7 Likes

If my memory is correct, I do believe most all shooting records are done with reloads and not factory loads….hum….

10 Likes

2 different types of reloads

1 roll your own, anything goes wrong its on you and you alone.

2 some company mass reloads rounds (usually from pulldowns or from once fired), if your firearm is under warranty, it isn’t now.

Regarding the first, I feel much better shooting stuff I made. Regarding the second, I’ve seen with my own eyes, many squibs from a “reloaded ammo company”. Have not seen any kabooms, but have seen plenty of pics from them.

I have some company reloaded ammo, probably will pull and dump the powder and reload it myself. But end of the day, you do you :grinning:.

Those guys saying that are probably reffering to number 2 (yeah I’m assuming).

10 Likes

Never have run into any of that where I shoot. Maybe because it’s an outdoor range and we are there to shoot and don’t GAS what anyone is shooting.
Funny that this subject has come up.Last week the guy next to me was shooting an AR and some of the brass was ejecting onto my bench. No biggie but after looking at some of it during a break I noticed every neck was cracked wide open. I handed him a couple and he was like WTF, Turns out he was shooting stuff he had reloaded in the 90s. He actually had a load sheet and he had used a powder I did not recognize(should have written it down to do some research) but the amount was what caught my eye. 23 gns. It was 223 brass and the split cases said too much powder to me but what do I know. He apologized for the brass sent my way but maybe someone else wouldn’t have noticed the damage. He thanked me and stopped shooting.

6 Likes

Well… then this should help trigger you… one of mine…

… because I make enough money to afford the brand new good stuff and I have better things to do with my time than reloading ammo.

(All in good fun)

11 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Ive got enough of the factory ammo but i will not pay $12 for a box of 7.62x39 steel cased ammo and almost a $1a round of brass cased ammo! That and my Subsonic 300blackout ammo functions better then manufacured! Nice Kimber by the way!

5 Likes

In high school I dated a gymnast named Kimber. She was quite limber, that Kimber.

Guys at the range… I seldom ask for opinions and if they offer them anyway I’m usually not listening.

5 Likes

I never had any luck with reloads. In fact… i have trouble with any factory loads except hornaday for my rifle. Never tried any 9mm reloads. Guess i was just gun shy after my experience with my rifle. Not that i dont like them its just my gun dont.

5 Likes

I shoot almost all reloads, stuff I reloaded. Nothing wrong with new factory ammo except the price. I will put up my reloaded rifle ammo up against any make factory ammo out there. It will shoot as good or better than any of the factory stuff.

15 Likes

I’m in the same boat. I haven’t bought factory ammo in about 15 years other than to get brass for a couple new calibers last year. 350 legend, 38special and I actually bought some “factory reloads” .357 mag. I normally pick up once fired brass off Gb or forums but last year was tough for ammo and components as everyone knows.

I’ll put my reloads up against any factory ammo as well. Not sure about the factory reloads yet….

8 Likes

I have used reloads from freedom munitions for few years now and have been pleased. Im not set up for major reloading although i would like to get into it. Atleast for my most used calibers like 45acp and long colt along with 38/357. I try to run factory new and dont use reloads from just anybody. I can deffently see the plus to reloading your own rounds for best results from each firearm as well as consistency of each round. I will say the only issues and unusable ammo i have ever had was name brand new ammo. I think worst thing ive seen was using speer gold dot 25acp and the bullets in 2 rounds from box fell out of case while inside magazine as they where being chambered.

5 Likes

I have a little bit of factory around to benchmark new builds and new loads, useful when something ain’t working right just to eliminate the ammo part of the equation.
Just my opinion, it takes some skill and experience with the press to match factory civilian ammo performance with handloads, based on chrony data and reliability. Flip side is with care and patientce you can work up a load that performs better in a specific firearm.
Factory reloads (when I use to buy them, mostly 9mm) were a crap shoot.

338 win mag, when you get everything just right…
I’ll put that up against factory any day of the week.

9 Likes

Stay tuned…
I just started reloading, we’ll see what happens when I get down range.
Reloading include, 7mm MAG (150gr), 12 gauge 3" slugs, 9mm variety.
Never reloaded before, but do have a guide.
A bit pricy getting set up, hope it’s worth it.
@TexasEskimo as you said, I do not have a lot of free time so I never gave it a shot, hope I’m on the right track. I have to reload at least 500 7mm MAG to break even and I save $1.00 each round by reloading. I can pour my own slugs and am going to get the mold for something with maximum stopping power.
Cheers,

10 Likes

Usually i mind my own business at the range :sunglasses:

9 Likes

I wont say never use reloads BUT, When I was in the police academy the instructors told us what they bought and where they bought it from. They knew exactly what they were giving us, sounds good so far) RIGHT, WRONG, They told us their local source Ha_ _is Ho _ se (I will not spell it completely out, in case there are rules against it) used the worst component’s. They told us they sourced dirty used auto wheel weights from local junk yards and tire shops and contracted to shovel up the stuff from the back stops at the local ranges and the stuff was so soft and dirty that it badly leaded the barrels and they used the cheapest dirtiest powders, the only time their source tumbled their brass was after it was reloaded to shine it up a little. They also told us their source dramatically underloaded their ammo to save money. They told us they were surprised the bullets exited the barrels on revolvers and they were surprised the slides cycled on semi autos. They told us they chronographed the stuff and were embarrassed to give it to us (but with about two thousand rounds per recruit they had to stay within budget). I have no issues using QUALITY hand loads and QUALITY reloads for the range, but for liability reasons I’m sorry but it is only factory for EDC and storage. Also I have seen more blown up guns from reloads than most people, I am a retired LE Armorer.

8 Likes

Now for EDC pistol I do stick with factory loads just because of the possible legal ramifications!

6 Likes

I may be a bit more outgoing than others and enjoy conversing with the folks at the club. Yesterday had a nice exchange with a fellow, shooting the same sidearm as mine and the earlier all steel model. Both were equipped with fiber optic front sights and he offered me the opportunity to shoot one. What a difference, I’d never have known if we hadn’t had conversation. This has nothing to do with the reload/remanufactured point of this topic, so to that end I offer this, and why I will not buy remanufactured ammo but will continue to enjoy my reloads. (notice the cracked mouth)

11 Likes

I am one of those “Hated Re-loaders” too !!! I laugh all the way to the bank when I pop off 3-5 hundred rounds week after week and hear “all” those other guys cryin’ in their baby formula !!
HA !! You’re not alone Brother from another "smart’ mother !!

The 44

4 Likes

Why bother listening to ignorant people. Why care what anyone thinks? You reload because it works for you and that’s it.

5 Likes

Agree, to reload or not to reload.
A personal choice.
I am a newbie at reloading, we’ll see how it goes.
Hope I don’t make a mistake and accidently make a “hot” load.
Not up to speed on factory QA/QC, but with reloading you apparently have a lot more wiggle room and options.
Just saying IMHO.

5 Likes