M*CARBO Brotherhood

RedLion Vs Midwest Mount

Have 2 questions gatoraid84. Is your sub a gen1 or gen2 ? If it 's a gen2 does it fold completely closed ? I understand the gen 2 doesn’t latch but that’s not a deal breaker. Thanks.

2 Likes

It’s a gen1 it latces closed. Not sure about the gen2.

1 Like

Unwilling or just too darned impatient to wait for the M*CARBO mount solution I went ahead and bought the Midwest Ind. swivel mount on Amazon for around $95. I specifically chose Amazon for the no hassle returns if I find it doesn’t hold zero. With @Dumasor comment about faulty installation in mind I installed it according to MI instructions and torqued the screws to 40 in/lbs. Additionally I found at unboxing, the MI mount swivel spring tension is quite strong. I paired the mount with a Vortex Crossfire red dot (Amazon$149)
and have barrel sighted it in before my trip to the range tomorrow. If I find it doesn’t hold zero as many complain, I’ll return it and probably opt for the Red Lion fore end. Time will tell.

2 Likes

Hope it works for you. I’ve seen several posts from people who have no issues at all. Can’t beat the form factor of this mount.

Suggestion? One thing to look for long term is the mlock rotating plates wearing on the inside of the forend. Mcarbo showed some pictures of that, I think in their R&D site. I looked at mine for the same thing and could not see that sort of wear, but probably only had 150 rounds through the setup before removing it.

1 Like

Well, I put 150 round thru it today and after zeroing in I had no issues with holding zero (so far). I’ve got a couple of weeks to play around with it before the window closes on returning it so I’ll be watching it closely.

3 Likes

Really good news, JP. No question this gun is much easier to shoot accurately with an elevated optic.

1 Like

Yes, I think I chose well (without realizing it at time of purchase). In other words, I got lucky.

1 Like

Does it really need to be that high?

1 Like

Yes. The optic is mounted directly onto the MI mount which is attached to the M-lock on the port side. It’s very comfortable to shoot the way it is. Also it leaves room for the bolt tube at the rear so it can still be folded.

1 Like

I see. Very interesting. Thanks.

1 Like

I’ll keep my eye on the forend wear issue. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I purchased the MI mount from Amazon back in Nov and had to return it. When I was bore sighting it in with the laser held on the bulls eye the optic dot would be to the right of the target then to the left or vice versa when I would engage the swivel on the mount. If that makes any sense. So I caught the problem without ever actually having to fire a single round.

1 Like

I haven’t really used mine to shoot yet. If I get around to it and it is not holding zero then I will get in touch with MI and see about returning it.

Red lion is expensive but there is no one out there even close to the quality of the red lion the machining specs are so close I have never had to rezero

1 Like

I’ve now had my MI mount out to the range several times in the last 2 weeks and it is still holding zero like a champ. No problems at all.

2 Likes

I went ahead and installed a Kel-Tec four rail factory forend. I looked at the Red Lion, very expensive and out of stock for that matter. Installation videos seemed confusing, and I knew the Kel-Tec would go on easy and it did. $117 from Kel-Tec direct. Looks good. We’ll see how it performs.

2 Likes

can you still fold the firearm in half?

No, you can not fold.

1 Like

That is a killer on buying that one

1 Like

It folds fine. Of course, I have to remove the optic. Which is why I hope the MCARBO hinge mount will be adaptable to the top rail.

The issue I’m having at the moment is it doesn’t lock, hanging up on about a micron of my single point sling mount. MCARBO is looking at it.

2 Likes