M*CARBO Brotherhood

RedLion Vs Midwest Mount

RedLion Front end & Sight OR Midwest industries mount ?
Differences and likes and dislikes ?
Input appreciated!

3 Likes

I purchased the Red Lion fore end several years ago. Out of all the items and aftermarket parts I have purchased for any rifles, shotguns or otherwise, it is bar none the most quality piece I have seen. The rotating forend is ingenious for the SUB 2000 if using an optic and returns to zero every time. I cannot speak for Midwest Industries.

3 Likes

I myself have the red lion with a red dot with a one inch raised platform with the turning and locking front handgrip. It works great. Feels good and it is not cheap plastic like the original. You will not be sorry if you buy this. You will wonder what took you so long

2 Likes

As others have mentioned the RedLion fore end is a quality piece as is the front sight…there really isn’t any down side other than it does add a bit of weight but if have already decided to put an optic on it you are already good with this

3 Likes

I have neither but I have read several reviews whereby the Midwest mount does not hold zero. They may have corrected this problem by now…

1 Like

I personally own a Red Lion mount and I can vouch it is fantastic. Gives the sub a great feel in the hands.

4 Likes

I went and looked at the red lion web site. the fore end doesn’t have rails they have to be purchased separately. that makes that system almost as much as the S2K. I do like the rotating front end and the flip up sight is nice. Just a little to pricey for me at this time.

2 Likes

Kel-Tec also sells an aluminum 4 sided picatinny rail system for subs. Substantially less money but with Kel-Tec’s Metal forend, the rifle does not fold anymore.
https://www.keltecweapons.com/rifles/sub-2000#accessories

2 Likes

After everything I’ve seen everyone likes the red lion, only complaint is the price. I’m trying to hold out for mcarbos option, if I don’t like it I’ll most likely go with the red lion eventually

3 Likes

well that isn’t good, that is one of the reasons I bought the gun. I can put it into a backpack and no one knows.

3 Likes

I have the Midwest mount and I love it. I installed it a few weeks ago and it has traveled a bunch and has held zero very well. I did have it come loose once, but that was on me.

1 Like

I can vouch for the Red Lion forend and front sights! No comparison

1 Like

the front flip up sight looks like a future purchase. unless M*CARBO makes one of their own.

3 Likes

I did the exact same thing, read and read posts and reviews, thought and thought, waited and waited. Then I just bit the “bullet” (ugh) and forked over the money for the forend with 2 rails and the front sights. Absolutely worth it IMO.

I’ll add my comment into the ring. The RLP forend is by far the best. It’s solid, allows folding, mounts a RDS securely allowing it to be rotated out of the way so you can lock it in place when folded. Their front sight is also a good investment. The may be a bit pricey but you’re paying for quality. They also offer a military/LEO discount - just email them for a code.

1 Like

Still waiting to make the jump

Yeah I looked into the red lion as well and the pricing out me off too.

1 Like

For now the MWI mount will have to do. it does keep the folded profile very tight. Just have to remember to swing it out of the way to unfold the S2K.

I can speak to my experience with the MI swizzle mount. Really tried to make this work last year and could not.

MI tells their retailers (Primary Arm’s in my case) that faulty installation is the reason they don’t hold zero. So I mounted it with a Holosun red dot, it would not hold paper at 25 yards, so took it a gunsmith as it was the 1st mlock mount I’d had. He just cranked it down and said try that. Shot another box and it still would not hold zero.

I’d read a post about the forend on the Gen 2 so ordered a 3rd party brace that locked the forend to the barrel and, while that made the whole forend barrel combo more solid and did settle down some of the zeroing issues, enough that I could hold paper, did not solve it. The design of the MI mount is elegant. It’s light, swivels out of the way so you can close your sub, but my guess is the spring is just too weak, and it is not adjustable.

So why not use the Red Lion? Pretty much everybody who has it likes it, but the downside to it is, for me

1. It adds an lb to a 4 lb gun
  2. It costs over $200 as the rail system is proprietary.

May still end up there depending on the reviews of the MCarbo mount when it’s out, but here are my concerns about that latter.

It’s not on the barrel. That’s good in that, if it is true that the forend flexes with or without the forend to barrel brace, it could be more stable, but…

Because it’s not on the upper receiver (bad), you are relying on the hinge upper receiver connection. That’s just a couple connectors. It may or may not be accurate enough.

Anyway, we’ll see.

The Red Lion hand gaurd seem like a quality piece but pricey. I got the aluminum hand gaurd with 4 pic rails from Kel Tec for alot cheaper I keep my dot on a qd mount. From all the videos I see on you tube I feel I can deploy mine faster

4 Likes