Red Dots For Pistols

I strongly considered this, then i thought… how many times have i needed this protection… maybe once in 20 yrs. No thanks, not worth extra $200.

7 Likes

@Stircrayzy And I’ve not seen anything that shows me the RMR is more durable.Many reviewers have torture tested the Holosun and found it to be as durable & have better glass and larger viewing area. No need to remove and rezero at battery change either.As time goes by many people will no longer be willing to pay almost double for the RMR.
I don’t think RMR has shake awake either??

6 Likes

@LarrySr Hey Larry. Use the discount code “hrfunk” and get a 5% discount at Optics Planet.

8 Likes

I’ve ordered off DVOR myself also. It always comes in an Optics Planet box, so the are definitely related. Besides slowish shipping, never had a problem with them. Got some great deals too.

8 Likes

I Am Still waiting for the New Mount from M*Carbo’ the PMR 30’ again they have Out done Themselves Again, But again It is One of My favorites, just saying.

3 Likes

Sorry I was slow with this feedback, but …

Optics Planet is a.drop shipper that is often blindly optimistic about inventory positions. I’d have paid the extra $10 to Midway.

When I do use optics planet, code: HRFUNK often saves me a few bucks.

5 Likes

Look what you have done Larry. Why don’t you just ask “1911 versus Glock?” next time?

5 Likes

I’m also looking to join the cool kids of the red dot world. I have an optics ready 10mm. Factory sights are horrible, and no options to replace them. So, I’m looking at this little guy

7 Likes

IMHO… You can’t go wrong with Holosun. I shot my buddies pistol last week with pretty much that exact red dot. I really enjoyed it.

4 Likes

@TexasEskimo I’m intrigued by the circle reticle vs a standard dot. I have an astigmatism, so dots are a struggle for me. A lot of the reviews on this circle reticle say it’s more astigmatism friendly

5 Likes

@Savage636 Bill that is why it is so difficult to recommend a particular optic over another. My vision is different than yours. I wear multi focal disposable contact lenses. You may be far sighted or near sighted. My eyes are gray and sensitive to light… yours may not be. It can be VERY expensive trying to find the right optic… and even more difficult to recommend the right one for someone else.
My Sig Romeo 5XDR has a reticle… I can aquire the target much faster. While others may find it as a distraction.
My advise has been to try as many optics as possible. Since you can’t rent them try your buddies out when you can.
Wish I could help more… but it’s a personal choice only you can make. :+1:

5 Likes

@TexasEskimo The problem is I only have a few friends that are into guns, and they are also fresh to red dots on pistols. My brother has a Burris on a Ruger Mark IV 22/45. I’ve shot it maybe twice. I think it’s a 6 MOA, cuz the dot was pretty big

5 Likes

I’m late to chip in but I use a Vortex Venom on my Chiappa 9MM Rhino DS long barrelled revolver (LBR), (don’t ask the revolver is pig ugly, but in the UK we have to have ones that are a minimum length since the full bore semi auto ban), the sight does stay true every shot and its awesome, ( did have reservations paying so much for it but its definitely worth it).

Dot is easy to pick up and aim.
Can get boring sticking rounds through the same spot on a target, but that’s why we do it.

5 Likes

@John025 @Savage636 The price difference between the Holosum and Vortex y’all mention is negligible. I would have to fire a weapon with both to make a choice. But in reality it will probably come down to making the best informed “guess” you can.

3 Likes

The one big selling point of the Vortex is warranty. Vortex has a no questions asked lifetime vs Holosun I think is a limited 5 year.

4 Likes

@Savage636 When u read the RMR warranty exceptions I’m not sure it’s much different than the Holosun.

5 Likes

It is! I have astigmatism in my left eye and most red dots look like the state of Florida to me.
EoTech holographic are no problem as are Holosun circle dots.
I highly recommend Holosun and their customer service is stellar too.

8 Likes

@mgmargate Yeah, I’m not even considering the RMR or SRO. Too rich for my blood lol

2 Likes

@Savage636 And I think the Holusun is better.

2 Likes

Thanks for that info.
Larry

3 Likes