M*CARBO Brotherhood

Red dot sights?

Question: To Red Dot or not?
What ones are great?
What ones to avoid?
Thinking of Sig Romeo 5 or Vortex Crossfire.

4 Likes

I have two of the Vortex Crossfires 2 MOA RED DOTS…100% satisfied. Next step is a Vortex Micro3X. Mostly shooting up to 42-50yds.

What’s your range distance?

3 Likes

If you are adding not to your Sub 2000 you just need a good red dot and no magnifier. I love my Sig Romeo 5 red dot. It holds a zero better than any other red dot I’ve used. On sale this week for $119

3 Likes

Good question. I should have specified it will be going on my M-series Sub 2000.
What is the realistic range of one?
Seems 100 yds would be optomistic, but this will be my first PCC.

3 Likes

Yes, for my Sub 2000.

1 Like

This is my new favorite… a Sig Romeo5. Decent price, 5 year battery life, motion sensor on/off, and a circle dot reticle for rapid target acquisition. Using the MCARBO folding optic mout it coexists perfectly with the iron sites. Price @ $225.

6 Likes

Depends on the size target you’re shooting at. I can hit a 3” target from 42-50 yds. pretty consistently @ brightness 6-7…and my eyes are turning 65 YO soon. I would expect to hit a 6-8” target at 100 yds…which is pretty much as far as I would expect accuracy from 9mm.

The red dot pays for itself in ammo savings pretty fast verses irons.

Wish I had a 100 yd. range to see how the red dot performs.

Let us know which one you get and how you like it.

I generally shoot steel targets unless I’m zeroing the sights/dot.

7 Likes

We here on the S2K channel are a buncha Sig Romeo 5 homies :joy: Can’t go wrong with it :metal:

6 Likes

I’m very happy with the Tacticon red dot on my S2K. Especially since I added a rail extension that moves the sight back near the flip up iron.

7 Likes

Your eyes are only slightly older than mine.
Like most, I have bolt guns for accurate shooting from 100 to 300 yds and beyond.
My original thinking re: the Sub was a backpack/bugout tool. Then I discovered the ‘fun’ everyone seems to be having.
I don’t expect a tack driver, but more accurate than my 1911’s out to 100 yds would be great.
Love scopes, but that kind of defeates the purpose of a folder. So, Red Dot is a compromise.
Range at home is 100 yds, at the club 200 yds. But I would say for the Sub, 50 - 100 yds is it.
WB

8 Likes

I have a UTG red/green dot on my 10/22 and it’s good out to 50 yards - haven’t got a 100 yard range within 50 miles to try it on. Inexpensive and good enough. It’s on a QD and absolutely holds zero, even if moved to a different rifle. It has to come off to clean the 10/22 since I’m using a tactical stock. The PCC9 has the Romeo 5. I also put a UTG magnifier on it on a swing-out mount but I rarely use it. I don’t use a RD on my S2k - it’s a truck gun and spends it’s time under the seat. I may put one on it as some point, but iron sights work just fine for now.

The biggest problem in any RD is the dot hides the bullseye at ranges over 25 or 30 yards, especially in bright sunlight if you have astigmatism since it gets blurry when you turn up the brightness. Using a magnifier only exacerbates it. The Romeo is better than most because it has a smaller MOA.

6 Likes

For the money I like EOTECH and it’s business practice. I bought a red dot in 2007 for my AR and it worked flawlessly for many years. It pooped out back in Sept. and I contacted EOTECH and they couldn’t repair it because it was so outdated. They had me ship the sight back to them with a form I filled out and I got 50% off my next purchase. So I bought a new HWS 512 for $275. Not a bad deal, they stand behind their products.

8 Likes

I opted for a TruGlo Micro on a 45 degree offset PIC adapter. It’s a pistol sight, but with my old eyes, I cannot see past 25 yards anyway. It allows me to close the gun and still keep a low profile in the large laptop case I use for a range bag.

There was a problem, though. I had to cut a space in my Mcarbo sleeve to accommodate the setup without interference. I hope the sacrilege doesn’t get me kicked off the site :wink:

8 Likes

Welcome to the brotherhood, @LPCgun. It’s not sacrilege to make any mods you like. Nobody can tell you what’s right for you.

I’ve got some 45deg rails but didn’t see much advantage to them on an S2k - it still won’t close with them on even if no optic is mounted. On other rifles, they take up just as much space on the pic so they still don’t coexist with other sights. Maybe I’m just missing something.

4 Likes

Here is one that works correctly. It’s on Amazon:
WOLTIS 45 Degree Offset Rail Mount Picatinny Low Profile Adapter Mount.

The rifle closes exactly as it does without it.

5 Likes

I actually have a Sig Romeo 5 on my AK47, backed up by a Juliet 4X magnifier. The Juliet is QD with tip off capability. When I sighted it in, it put 5 shots in a 2in. x-ring at 100yds. Much longer battery life than many other types of electronic sights and very reasonably priced. I also have a Burris Fastfire 3 mounted on my CMMG Banshee 200. The Burris sits lower and seems a better fit with the CMMG. I would check one out before purchasing as many of us “older types” have a bit of astigmatism which can blur the dot, often making it look more like a coma than a clear dot. This may not make a lot of difference with close up shots, but definitely affects accuracy at longer distances.

5 Likes

Hey LPCgun, this caught my attention, so I googled it to purchase. But, the reviews are a real mixed bag. The angle is 30° no 45°, there is negative thoughts mentioned on SUB2K mounting, that if you have the tube sleeve might not close well, the angle is tight and requires a small sight or will interfere with closing, the 2 small mounting screws apparently will mark the picatinny rail and possibly pull free from the plastic rail on the SUB2K, and loosened after shooting. Also mentioned the 30° angle was not enough in some instances to clear the optic on other weapons with both mounted. Not trying to be negative, just thinking for myself, for these reasons, I will pass. To bad it would be a great option for mounting a red dot.
Cheers,

1 Like

I think the folks who talk about the mounting might have over tightened it.
I purchased a TruGlo Micro reflex pistol sight, so it wouldn’t interfere in my laptop / 2-gun range bag.
My first attempt had it leaving marks on my Mcarbo sleeve. After a couple of range days, the zero stayed, but I was worried about the interference. So I cut away the part where the marks were and it folds fine. I don’t store the gun folded so it appears to work fine for me.

2 Likes

@LPCgun I have that same mount that I was going to mount on the forend… But, I was having clearence issues when folding the rifle. So, I used this and 45’ed bottom left.
[https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V73NMCQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_8FJ6FbPS9ATEZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1]

2 Likes

I found what I think is a better solution than the red dot for my old eyes and it does not have to be removed or require the adapter to flip it out of the way when you fold the weapon. Viridian has a “Laser Hand Stop” that mounts under the picatinny rail with a m-lok adaptor. Sorry cannot get a picture of my 2000 with it mounted, but you can check it out at https://viridianweapontech.com/hs1 . Have only used it out to 50 yards, but it holds true after 200 rounds

3 Likes