M*CARBO Brotherhood

Red Dot Sights For S2K Optic Mount

@PYR I have the sparc ii and it sits fine on the mount. It’s not any bigger than the Romeo 5. I put it on the lowest mount setting and it fits in my backpack just fine.

4 Likes

@Jimmy No doubt, when the mount arrives, I’ll try both and decide from there, whichever doesn’t get used will find a home on the next purchase🤐

3 Likes

I don’t see it mentioned in the thread, but the specs for the mount in the store could have the length (in inches) of the ‘rail’ part of the mount. Then, those of us who own a sight, and don’t have the bucks to buy a new one, would have an idea if our particular sight would work.

4 Likes

@ColoradoRick Approximately 1 3/8" long with 3 picatinny slots.

5 Likes

2 Likes

So since after 2 weeks my mount hasn’t shipped I’m still waiting to test it and my Holosun 503GU.

But while I haven’t been able to test it, I’ve been thinking and I don’t really want the absolute cowitness. I’ve considered the MCARBO rear sight but don’t feel like dropping that money on am emergency sight if my optic fails. There’s also a laser for emergencies though daytime/outdoors it’ll likely not work that well. I’ve considered a rear sight delete. Think I saw a filler piece.

But some googling suggested that cutting the ears that pop the sight up will let you fold it down and it’ll stay there til you manually raise it. Seems like a cheap and easy option. If the red dot simply dies, I could use the body of the optic to roughly align with the front sight. If it’s destroyed and obstructs my view (incredibly unlikely) I can move the mount aside and point shoot, them manually raise the rear sight.

Thoughts?

4 Likes

This picture. Look at the ears that secure the rear sight. Now look at the base of the Triton. A flashlight will confirm my hypothesis. I think your forearm is cockeyed/catywompus. But it’s still a guess 'cause that right side dial casts a fierce shadow.

I didn’t get a response when I posted this observation earlier so I expect you’ve confirmed that I am simply incorrect. That is all I think I see that would cause the sight to sit so far out of alignment.

6 Likes

trying to take more pics,

3 Likes

it folds and locks good.

3 Likes

@TheThreeLaws I thought I’d like the absolute co witness but after trying 2 different red dots I don’t think so. For me it looks too busy in the optic - too much crap to look through. I’m thinking about removing the front sight and adding a Kel-Tec thread protector, then remove the Mcarbo rear sight and replace it with the modified folding plastic one. Life’s a bitch when you get old and have to wear glasses.

6 Likes

Mounted it on forward rail, sets perfect.

4 Likes

That’s not a terrible idea…you’ll lose out on sight radius but as a backup that seems fine. When my mount gets here I’ll see how just the front sight is cowitnessed. I’m more thinking the rear sight will be the issue.

Also I’m crosseye dominant so irons aren’t great for me anyways.

I’ll probably try cutting those rear sight ears so it folds down. If it goes poorly I’ll just take it out.

4 Likes

@tlmaz @Dred from what im seeing , Tim and Milton, looks like the holes from where the standoffs go are uneven for whatever reason. shim out the top posts with a bushing/spacer until the top rail section of the mount is flat and level with the top edge of the sight ears, or until you are square in the irons. looks like between 1/8 ans 3/16 to the left on the top standoffs should square you
from the manufacturer that surface where the screw sets against the plastic of the forend, is not a critical surface, so if its been over tightened a bit on original assemble the plastic could squeeze and the depth could change allowing the top 2 standoffs to drop further in, thus misalignment the mount. in other words shim it to the left till square.

6 Likes

FWIW, mine is off too. In my case, this was a barrel recall gun and I suspect it has seen heavy hands. I’ll solve it with a trip to the ACE Hardware for some micro washers.

6 Likes

Here is my 2 cents, we are spending 100.00 on a part that doesn’t work out of the box. (right now its a 100.00 paper weight) that i can not use. This might be a larger issue as more mounts are installed? Would I spend 150.00 on it, knowing that I have to find longer bolts and shims. NOPE!

I purchased 2 of these, I have a multi mag that I have done no up grades to yet, we will see when my second on comes in how it fits.

4 Likes

Got my mount sat. Easy to assemble and the romeo 5 1x20 fits good. Co witness is good. I haven’t dialed it in yet, but I was hitting a 6." steel at 50 yds. without adjusting anything. Taking it out back on the bench to dial it in in about an hour when it cools off a little. Only issue I have is that the screws are about 3/32" short. They only sink about half way into the nuts.

5 Likes

Thanks Jimmy. I ordered one from Brownells for $139.99 today.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/search/productdetail.aspx?sid=137795&pid=66525

$90 less than Amazon.

5 Likes

Guess im holding off on buying an optic mount… This is a bummer

3 Likes

It is a pretty straightforward proposition and only ticklish if you are trying to cut at the absolute perfect spot so that it will still auto deploy. If you are fine with flipping it up and down manually (I am) cutting the ears off anywhere around where they slide along the top of the channel will do the trick. See the image below. Best bet is to just snip a little at a time until you hit the sweet spot. And if you somehow managed to screw it up a replacement rear sight is only $5.00 plus shipping from KelTec.

8 Likes

Yeah I don’t want it to auto deploy. The odds of me ever needing a backup are low and I’d rather have a clear field of view through my optic

7 Likes