M*CARBO Brotherhood

Red Dot Magnifier

Looking at a magnifier for my Vortex Cross Fire Red Dot on my PCC9.
Vortex has a Micro 3x that looks good, is compatible, saves space…but pricey!

The Vortex warranty is lifetime…like that a LOT! :grin:

Anyone have experience with this magnifier?

$299 @ Amazon:

2 Likes

I don’t. But I can tell you that good glass costs. That Amazon offer at $299 looks like a deal.

I have an EOTec G33 Magnifier which is very likely comparable. The G33 is worlds better than the magnifiers I tried in the $100 to 200 range.

I have a Vortex LPVO with great glass for the price point. I would bet on that magnifier to be a great value.

3 Likes

@Dred Thanks for your input here. :v:

Optics Planet also lists it for $299 and free ship. With a 10% discount ($269),and already having the Crossfire Red Dot, I’m pretty set on pulling the trigger on this one.:grin::boom::boom::boom:

3 Likes

I did order the Vortex Micro3X for my PCC9. Won’t fit on the Ruger Picatinny “STYLE” rail…:rage::rage::rage:

Ruger rail is out of spec…too wide and too low…:rage::rage::rage:

Here’s the Ruger fine print on all PCC’s:

“† NOTE: The receiver-mounted, Picatinny-style rail is designed to accommodate most optics and optic mounts intended for use with Picatinny/ MIL-STD 1913 rails. However, due to reduced clearance between the top of the receiver and the bottom of the optics rail, optics and optic mounts that extend more than .275" below the top of the rail may not fit the PC Carbine™. Ensure that the optic or optic mount you intend to use does not extend more than .275" below the top of the Picatinny-style rail when installed.“

Talked with Vortex and they know the Ruger pic rail is a fake.

Vortex made the mount for the Crossfire Red Dot with a little more play…that’s why it fits on my Ruger rail.

Sent the Micro3X back to Midway and got my money back.

Got Vortex to send me just the mount to try to adapt…too many tight tolerances to hack on IMHO.
Thank you to Vortex for assisting me! :raising_hand_man::grin:

OPTIONS:
1- Mill the fake pic rail off the Ruger rail and attach a REAL picatinny rail.

2- Call KIDD and Volquartzen and ask them when they will make a quality receiver with a real Picatinny spec rail for the PCC line…like they do for the 10/22.

“IF” the Ruger rail was correct, they could have also made better front/rear adjustable irons…and an adjustable butt stock riser pad.

So I also checked the bottom rail of the Ruger forstock…it’s a REAL picatinny…:face_with_monocle::scream::rage::rage::rage::joy::joy::joy:

The SAGA continues…To be continued…:boom::boom::boom::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Dang! Shame on Ruger!

2 Likes

All the reasons and proof why to go with a Vortex Red Dot and Magnifier…for me…:face_with_monocle::boom::boom::boom:

2 Likes

second on the EO Tech G33, as many rails as its been on, and as many hits as its taken, no issue with magnifier or mount.

4 Likes

@GOBLIN They were the first alternative option I called. Won’t fit on the Ruger rail…did not want anything to do with the fake rail…nice person on the phone…:sunglasses:

Also…like the Vortex LIFETIME owner transferable warranty verses:

EOTECH guarantees every product to be free from manufacturing defects in material and workmanship under normal use for a period of ten (10) years from the manufacturer’s date or customer’s proof of purchase. See EOTECH’s Prestige Warranty details for more information.

3 Likes

Here’s the update…:scream::stuck_out_tongue:

With some help from a brother :beers: I’ve been able to get the Vortex Micro 3X picatinny Flip mount/quick release onto the Ruger PCC9 out of spec rail. Still cleaning things up and haven’t shot the gun, or reset the distance from magnifier to the Vortex Crossfire I 2 MOA red dot.

TFX Pro Fiber Optic x Tritium irons still work with the magnifier flipped to the side…:grin:
Soon soon…:sunglasses::boom::boom::boom:

Would love to hear and see how other brothers are using a similar combo.:face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

Moved my last Dot.Slap.Mag combo from 9mm AR pistol to x39 AR. You can see it with the shot out bulls eyes performing on both firearms in the Mail-in-Match category. It’s just a Holosun 510 and an Eotech G33. I will eventually replace the pair with a LPVO on the x39.

4 Likes

Southpaw? Or just keeping the magnifier out of the way of any spent casings?

3 Likes

I drool every time I see this excellent work.
:+1: :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

I have had this in my cart several times, on several websites. But for over $200 I want to see the red dot with and without the magnifier. Anyone have some images or video?

EDIT… never mind. Found the post from last year.

5 Likes

Southpaw and glad of it! Lol

Different brand red dots and the quality of the dot when Magnified 3X is a major concern. I knew with reviews that sticking with Vortex on both optics would work well.

Moved the Micro3X almost all the way back on the pic rail.
Moved the Crossfire red dot back and close to the magnifier.

I never tried the red dot farther back on the rail and I like it better.:grin:

I removed the two 1” spacers in the butt stock to shorten the length of pull and bring the magnifier in closer to my old eyes.:face_with_monocle:

Distance to target 42 yds. Aquila 124 g FMJRN Shooting from a bench.

Zeroed the red dot…took one shot…the upper white area hit on the target. Had one flier on the lower white hit area.

Hits on the 3” bullseye are half red dot alone and half with the magnifier. 9 shots total.

It definately helps you see the targets/hits better and I can acquisition a target much faster.:face_with_monocle::boom::boom::boom:

Need to put a paint mark on the diopter adjuster to help find my “normal adjustment” area faster.

Glad I stuck it out to get it in service. :sunglasses::boom::boom::boom:

6 Likes

I am looking to use the Vortex 3x on my AR15. I currently use a Sig Romeo 5XDR red dot. It coexists perfectly with my Magpul MBUS Gen2 front and rear folding sights. I plan on keeping the iron sights as a backup in case of an electronic or battery failure. I may run into an issue with space on my picatinny rail.

Here is where my red dot is currently located… right where I like it. I wear multifocal contact lenses and I am not sure how all this changes things (?). By adding the 3x and keeping my irons you can see here where my issue will be. I will have to move my red dot forward. Note… this is an older image and my rear site is actually located on the back of the rail now.

4 Likes

@TexasEskimo It’s the eye relief limit of “2.64” that you have to live with while sighting. Maybe take some measurements.
I was happy with the red dot forward…now I’m just as happy with it closer to my eye.:face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

i will get some pics on layouts tomorrow. one that jumps out and bites you is a magnifier with a acog I run about 1/2 between. know guys that run 3 to 4" apart. i do it to limit glare, eyes are real funky with light

4 Likes

Sorry off topic but important…
@GOBLIN your email working, I have a question, pls PM me.
TYVM

2 Likes

Sure was fun to shoot some 9 yesterday…:sunglasses::boom::boom::boom:

Time for more research…:face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

still locked out. working on it.

2 Likes