Red Dot for Mcarbo mount

So I was at the my local gun shop just about ready to drop $1500 on a CMMG rifle in .40 when I thought to myself :thought_balloon: Hey, I have a second gen Sub2k in .40 in my safe why don’t I just use it for 2 gun or 3 gun instead of dropping $1500 on a new rifle??

So I did some research and found the MCarbo red dot mount. I bought one. Now I need a decent red dot :red_circle: optic. I’ve seen some mostly good reviews for the Sig Romeo5. Any other suggestions??

4 Likes

You can’t go wrong with Vortex or Sig. You can spend more, but why?

3 Likes

Any particular vortex model?

1 Like

I have the Sig Romeo 5 on mine.Actually have 3 of them.

4 Likes

The Sparc or the Strikefire. The Sparc is a little smaller, probably better suited to a S2K mounted to the MCarbo flipper. The Crossfire is inexpensive but it works just fine. I’ve spend more money on red dots and other types of optics, but these midrange products are very good quality and the capabilities exceed the abilities of most sport shooters. The Romeo 5 and even the MSR are also very good. I’ve never had a complaint with any of them. It’s super easy to overspend on optics. If you aren’t nationally ranked, go for the midrange and you’ll be happy. And still have lunch money.

The problem with going below midrange is the cheapos don’t hold zero very well. Add the fact your flipping and folding a Sub 2000. Best to spend a few extra bucks on the RDS for a bit more reliability and durability.

When reading or watching formal or informal reviews on forums or YouBoob, you sometimes hear things like the dot had a slight halo or it didnt work right because the reviewer has astigmatism or ED or some other malady the sight was never meant to adjust for.

Good Grief. You put the red dot where the bullet is supposed to go and pull the trigger. Internet reviews sometimes remind me of the kid in little league who always has an excuse why he didn’t catch the fly ball. The sun was in my eyes. My shoe came untied. A dog was barking. Whatever. Anything except an admission they suck at catching a baseball.

1 Like

I have the Spitfire. It’s a prism 1x with an etched reticle. Plus side is if your battery dies, you still have a reticle. Down side is it has an eye box/eye relief like a scope. It illuminates red or green. I like Vortex due to their VIP warranty. It’s a lifetime no questions asked warranty. If you were to sell one of their optics, the warranty carries over to new owner. So in theory, if you find a used Vortex optic for a good price, you could buy it worry free.

1 Like

See, I find those types of reviews helpful. I have astigmatism and looking through red dots is a challenge. I was set on the Romeo 5 until I looked through one. It had so much star busrt for me that I had a hard time focusing on the target. So I spent a little more and went prism

1 Like

Understood. What I was trying to say was if you have an astigmatism and can’t see a crisp dot, there isn’t anything wrong with the RDS. It’s not a flaw. It’s your eyes. Prism scopes can do the job. You sometimes lose some night vision/low light capabilities and adding a magnifier can be a problem. Some people prefer a reticle. If you can sight better with it… then so be it. Go with what works!

My eye sight isn’t too bad. Not what it used to be. I guess nobody’s is. A buddy of mine got Lasik done and henceforth he sees starbursts on any sort of light now. So he is not a fan of red dots for the same reason as you.

Personally, I’m not that picky about the size or definition of the dot. The RDS for me is not for target shooting. I see it exclusively as self defense tool that is better and faster than iron sights in a self defense scenario. All you need to be able to do is put the dot on the center mass of the bad guy and squeeze. If that doesn’t work, put the dot between his headlights and squeeze again. That’s all I need it for. Stopping a threat with a pistol has nothing to do with precision. A two or three inch group at ten yards will do just fine in stopping a threat. It doesn’t matter which lung you hit or the left vs. right ventricle.

If I want to shoot paper and challenge myself to put a few rounds thru one ragged hole at 25 yards or further out, I’m going to move up to a full size, higher quality pistol and use the iron sights. Old school. Small 9mm EDC guns today are excellent. And very accurate. I guess the quicker and simpler way to say it is right gun for the right job. Putting match barrels and expensive optics and triggers on a small EDC is a big waste of time and money if you ask me. Same goes for rifle caliber pistols and PCCs. They are all short range tactical firearms. The objective is reliably hitting the target.

3 Likes

@Dung I agree with what you’re saying. Dot clarity shouldn’t be a deciding factor in a red dot. My brother has an EOTech on his AR. The reticle looks fuzzy, but it is a bomb proof optic. I didn’t want to spend that kind of money on an optic going on an AR pistol lol

1 Like

I read someplace that Trijicon ACOGs are making a comeback. One of the early ‘both eye’s open’ variety of modern optics. Not too many years ago the only guys with those were Special Ops. I never owned one but I did have a chance to try it and remember it seeming like a huge technology breakthrough. Even some of the cheaper optics out now are just as good optically. But not as rugged.

I took a Beretta CX4 9mm in trade and it had a big, round Meprolight reflex sight mounted on it. it looked odd as did the gun itself but I was genuinely impressed with the sight. I kept the gun and sold the sight to a guy on a Beretta forum who said he collects them. There’s a lid for every pot.

2 Likes

I also have astigmatism and find a circle dot reticle helps me define the center dot and get it on target better. Holosun has several moderately priced red dots in that category.

2 Likes

I have a HOLOSUN AEMS circle/dot sight on my 9 mm RUGER PC chassis carbine and IMHO feel it is currently the best electro-optic for PCCs available. It has many features not offered together on any other of its type. A bit “pricey” but well worth it.
Go the “Sage Dynamics” YouTube site and look up this sight for the shooting and drop tests. It is tough!