M*CARBO Brotherhood

Recommended Microcompact For Backup Gun

Back to the SCCY, I have seen the youtube torture test videos and they are impressive!

Accuracy is good, I don’t have a lot of issues with the DAO trigger other than the long reset. (I can see short stroking the trigger in a high stress situation)

My son in law works a garbage route, out at 3am and sees some pretty bad behavior. He keeps one in the pocket of his coveralls.

My wife is a nurse, not allowed to carry in the hospital but wants one in her car for when she pulls the late shifts.

They both chose the SCCY for the same reason, it is a cheap,almost disposable weapon that they would not cry about if gets banged up, lost, or stolen.

I feel the same way about Glocks. Not expensive, dead nuts reliable, available everywhere, “ugly”, etc. We all have our different “levels”/preferences. :+1:

@Wedge true, $199 still cheaper than $550!

But I agree with every point you make.

I paid $425 for my G43 with no discount of any sort. LOL

@wedge well thats is a pretty good price, no arguments from me!

You know I always tell new shooters/students who ask me what kind of handgun to buy to look at a Glock. “You may not love it, but you wont hate it, and it is proven reliable”.

That said I still like the Walther PPQ better! :grin:

Who knows, I might like it better, too. I’ve never even handled one. LOL

@Wedge. Dude…try it, you will like it!

I’ve pulled the trigger on a PPQ, just dry fire, but it’s lovely. I’m probably gonna go for the M&P 2.0 cus that’s what I’ve got extensive training and experience with (like Wedge with Glocks), but the PPQ is appealing.

I’ll look at the Kahr, seems a little pricier but might be the way to go if I want 9mm, seems to be the smallest option so far in that caliber.

Take a look at the less expensive Kahr CW9, too. From everything I’ve read, it’s just as reliable as the more expensive PM9. It’s pretty much the same pistol (same exact size), but the CW9 is cheaper because they didn’t put as much work into the finishing (less pretty machining, stamping versus engraving for markings, etc) and I believe the barrel has a different type of rifiling. But, they both have the same Elite trigger group.

Can’t remember if you said .380 was an option, but Kahr also has a P380 and the less expensive CW380 that are freakin’ tiny. Smaller than the G42.

I had a Kahr CT380 and loved it, until I got to about the 200 round mark. The problem is that the frame is polymer and the trigger pin is steel. After repeatedly shooting it, that steel trigger pin will eventually begin to eat a hole in the polymer frame and turn the trigger pin hole from round to oval. The trigger pin begins to repeatedly walk out once it loses its retention shape. Since the serial is part of the frame and the only way to fix (not correct) the problem is to give me a new frame, I knew when I sent it off to be fixed I would get a new serial. A new serial is considered a new gun so my own replacement framed gun from Kahr repair had to be shipped to an FFL where I had to go through a background check and pay a transfer fee to get my own gun back. I was so pissed I turned around and sold it. I like to shoot my guns and the problem would have just come right back.

I had the more expensive Kahr Mk9. Its an all steel frame 9mm. Was a great shooter, but i didnt care for the trigger much. Easily concealed which was nice. I ended up trading it for a Glock 43 just because it was lighter. The Mk9 is small but being all steel was heavy for how small it was

Ah, I see the difference there. Every brand has their own naming schema, and I was seeing the PM9 and the CW9 and getting confused. The CM9 is much more affordable. I’ll look at their 380 offerings, with Kona’s warning in mind.

Wow, that sucks. I’ve never read of that happening with any polymer framed Kahr. You’d think they all would do it. I have many thousands of rounds through my PM9 and it still looks brand new. Also, you shouldn’t have had to do another transfer. They can just put your old serial number on a new frame and destroy the old one. It would be very easy for Kahr to do since it’s just a metal tag that’s added on. An FFL/manufacturer can then ship it straight to your house. I’ve had entire firearms replaced that way before with no FFL or paperwork needed.

(The Kimber Micro 9 brings in a little class at a cheaper price than the Sig P938. I’d consider splurging for a classier piece… Modern Kimber does have a reputation though)

I’ve read a lot of bad things about that Kimber Micro 9 and reliability.

Yeah, that was my concern. QC has apparently really fallen off. Maybe not. The 938 is nice, just hate to pay for the Sig name alone.

The M usually means “micro”, as in the smaller version. The PM9 is the micro version of the P9. P is for polymer. The K9 is the P9 size and all metal version. There’s also the MK9, which is the micro PM9 sized all metal version of the K9. :+1:

@wedge yea I’ve sent Sig 320 off for recall and they sent it back to my house. Same with Smith compact .22 (the slide cutout for slide release wore out and wouldn’t lock back). Kahr sent me a new serial for whatever reason. I did like the CT380 before that happened though.

If it were me and I also really liked it, I’d have kept it and shot the heck out of it to see. If it happened again, get it fixed again and then sell it off. I’ll bet you just had a one off bad pistol since I’ve never heard of that happening before with a polymer framed Kahr. If it were truly a recurring issue, people would be talking about it all over the place, especially in the dedicated Kahr forums. As for having to do another transfer, I’d ask/demand Kahr to destroy my old frame and reuse my serial number. They should have absolutely no excuse as to why they can’t do that.

I agree with others, a Glock 43. Got one for my wife for about $300 through the blueline program as I am retired LE. Added an Orange county custom trigger, extended slide release and mag release. Great little gun in a caliber that will match the main duty gun. There may be “cheaper” options, but as a backup weapon and last line of defense “cheap” should not ever be one of the criteria to consider. Can you afford to bet your life on cheap!