Recommendation for trauma kit? ⚕

I’m not trained or skilled in anything other than basic first aid and CPR. Looking for a recommendation on a small trauma kit. Or the components needed and I’ll assemble my own.

I want to have the right gear in my bug out bag and also my vehicles and boat. I do have basic first aid kits for routine cuts and the like. The usual band-aids, gauze, tape. What I’m looking for is more like lifesaving gear. Such as… I come across someone bleeding badly from an accident or they are shot. Others or myself. It’s a long way to a hospital and local first responders are 20 minutes away.

7 Likes

@Dung Damn good topic. I’m also interested in some first aid to add to my range bag. Accidents happen, and it would be nice to have something to help out until medics arrive.

6 Likes

Bought one in tan and also one in black…

10 Likes

And sprinkle in a few of these…

11 Likes

Since I am spending your money, a few of these around the house and in your bag…

11 Likes

Seems like the tourniquet and compression bandage are the essentials. If injured badly, the risk of bleeding out is higher than normal in my nick of the woods.

9 Likes

I almost forgot… snakebite kits too. Copperheads and especially cottonmouths are as common as squirrels.

9 Likes

. . . and this is why I live where I do. No poisonous snakes.

10 Likes

Here is what I leave in the truck.
Has Level II First Aid responders necessities. Very light, compact, water proof, high visibility, meets minimum to moderate FA training level. Not to much, not to little. Yes, room in the bag for snake bite kit if required.
I carry a much smaller kit in my pack, it’s a room thing.

8 Likes

And that’s the best thing about living in the frozen tundra lol. I hate snakes. All we see up here is little garden snakes. Harmless. There’s been rumors of rattlesnakes in the southwest corner of WI, but I’ve never been in that region.

8 Likes

According to my wife, we have way too many first aid kits . . . and here I sit planning the next two. lol

We have the basic boo-boo kits all over the place since we do a lot of camping with our kids. Aside from those I have 3 IFAK or “Stop The Bleed” kits (similar to what @TexasEskimo posted above).

Then I have one larger kit that usually goes with us a trips as well. The bag is an Orca Tatical Molle Rip-away EMT Pouch. It is about twice the size of your standard IFAK bag. In that one, I have a lot of the “extras”, such as sutcher kits, surgical stapler & stapler remover, scalpel, airways and a roll of aluminum splint.

7 Likes

I noticed this monster approaching my boat last summer when I stopped to take some photos of a property I was thinking about buying. About five-six feet long and as big around the middle as a baseball bat. Biggest one I have ever seen.

9 Likes

Yup, right around the Mississippi River on both the WI and MN sides.

7 Likes

It just wants to be pet!!

8 Likes

You would want want all the above plus some:

Quick Clot
Chest Seal
Mouth Barrier for MTM

Make sure you get as much nitrile as possible so you don’t potentially make things worse.

If your also good with your doctor, see about a prescription for an epi-pen. I managed to get two from mine, but I’ve been going to the same practice for 30+ years.

7 Likes

I have thought about size/space required and my thinking is that there are really two scenarios:

1. A small, stop the bleeding kit that fits in a bug out bag with guns and ammo.
  2. A larger, more elaborate kit that has all the bells and whistles. Stow it in the truck/boat.

While hiking/camping on the Olympic Peninsula in the PNW (middle of nowhere), I stupidly cut my thumb pretty bad and I had no choice but to sew it up with stuff from my tackle kit until I could get proper medical attention. 8 hours hike from anything resembling civilization. Saying that hurt like a MF is a gross understatement. Lesson learned about having first aid supplies.

8 Likes

You can find em cheaper, but then I’d recommend one of these guys…

6 Likes

They will slither right up into your boat. Sometimes I find them in the boat if I leave it in the water overnight vs. raising it on the lift.

I shoot them on sight without a second of thought or hesitation. CCI snake shot rounds do a great job of shredding them.

7 Likes

Are you in the upper Midwest as well?

4 Likes

Yup. Minnesota. Originally from the nosebleed section of the state, but in the Metro now. Our family cabin is in WI.

4 Likes