Recommendation For .22 Pistol

Old cold steel for me. Browning Nomad, 1967 1st. Ruger RST6 2nd, 1957. The little woman likes her Walther P22 best.

8 Likes

brought this little 25-yr-old mouse gun back to life with a new firing pin:

i like the new PT-22s too:

rimfire is pretty cheap to shoot!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

8 Likes

I had the Beretta M21A (aka mouse gun) out earlier today along with my Mark4:

11 Likes

The Browning and the Ruger, two classics for a reason. Certain guns are just timeless.

3 Likes

A few years bac a friend of mine was looking for hus first pistol and I told him to keep in mind the cost of ammo for training purposes. He told me he wasn’t going to skimp on ammo blah blah… 2 months later he changed his tune.

1 Like

I really enjoy my ‘little’ Ruger SR22. It seems to ‘spit’ any type of ammo that I throw at it ‘flawlessly.’ I ran at least 2k rounds before doing a basic field strip and clean!

2 Likes

After my initial break in period and shooting hi velocity ammo, my Firefly is accurate, dependable, and a breeze to clean. I paid 219.00 at Sportmans Warehouse. It also has the threaded barrel.

3 Likes

I purchased The Ruger mark IV tactical great 22. Very easy to breakdown to clean, It is pricey. My wife has a Ruger SR22 she loves it. It’s lighter then the Mark IV breakdown good.

4 Likes

@Hank

Welcome to the M*CARBO Brotherhood!

1 Like

I have a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 that I really like but it seems to be really picky about the ammunition I feed it. If it doesn’t like it, I will get constant failures to feed or eject. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what ammo have you found works for you? I am wondering if it has something to do with the amount of wax on the bullets and whether there is an easy way to remove it.

3 Likes

I use only cci sv in mine and it runs flawlessly. Its slightly more expensive than most bulk ammo but worth it in my opinion and at Brownells right now you can pick up 2500 rounds of it for under $100 after rebate

2 Likes

@JoeFridaySays

I had just finished my 80% Tactical Innovations receiver and built a 22 Custom Rifle. I had problems with CCI’s and if you notice, they are a little longer. I had problems with FTF and only managed to ‘slam fire’ three rounds. It is not that one cannot depend on ‘mismatched’ parts, but where to go. On new guns when manufacturers don’t know how long a weapon will ‘sit’ they tend to coat parts heavy, with a ‘waxlike’ oil that seems to disagree with all types of ammo and it is necessary to concentrate on the extractor and feeding mechanism. I found headspacing problems with a brand new bolt that is supposed to make a difference! I had switched to a Tactical Innovations bolt and fired 50 rounds without any issues. I was using Remington Thunderbolts. They coat the bullets with a fine coating that is supposed to help keep the barrel less ‘carbon fouled.’ Good luck!

2 Likes

@lonewolf If you are shooting CCI’s that are a little longer than they are probably CCI Stinger’s (32gr. 1640fps?). Your aftermarket target barrel will not shoot those rounds because your barrel tolerances are tighter. This is why I kept the stock Ruger barrel on my 10/22 because I like shooting those Stinger rounds.

3 Likes

@dave67

Thanks for pointing those ‘differences’ out to me! I had started from scratch and once owned the Ruger 10/22 as a kid. I did not have anything ‘stock’ to work with in my build, but only saw minimal references made between stock and aftermarket parts when building. My aggravation was minimal and I produced a good shooting rifle in the process. Of course, the wife wanted hers to mimic mine using a red thumbhole stock! Lol. Oh, I could have been shooting those 1640’s. I had a few boxes out and was not paying much attention as my excitement was on the ‘end product!’

3 Likes

@lonewolf When I built my 10/22 I looked at KIDD aftermarket target barrels and right on their Web site it said “will not shoot Stinger rounds.”

3 Likes

@dave67

Great minds think alike? I originally planned on the Kidd Barrel but I had poor customer service during The Shot Show and ended up with a Magnum Research. They had no information like that written and I went in ‘blind.’ It managed out well and I also have a Tactical Innovations Barrel 1:9 twist for suppressor shooting! Big smiles.

1 Like

@lonewolf Another great round from CCI that will work in your barrel is the CCI Velocitor (40gr. 1435fps.)

3 Likes

@dave67

Is that with my Magnum Research or Tactical Innovations barrel? I am looking forward to setting up this new build, shortly… I just purchased the steel jig and I am planning 2 other set ups, but you know how money can be difficult to come by at times? Wish this ‘hobby’ wasn’t so expensive! Lol

1 Like

@lonewolf That Velocitor is a standard .22LR cartridge and will work in all .22 barrels.

2 Likes

@dave67

I will have to grab a box and give it a SHOT (no pun intended…) :+1:

2 Likes