M*CARBO Brotherhood

Recoiless Charging Handle Factoid And Question

The stock KT bolt weighs 12.8oz. The KT heavy weight bolt weighs 14.4oz.
Increasing the weight by 1.6oz. Costs $45
MCarbo recoilless charging handle adds 2.2oz and costs $30.
So the MCarbo reduces recoil 28% better than the KT recoil compensation solution and costs less. No brainer, best choice.

***Here’s the question has anyone ever run both? Is the recoil reduced as to be nearly nonexistent? Does it make the bolt assembly too heavy to cycle reliably with 9MM?

I have had shoulder reconstruction and every bit of recoil mitigation I can manage will help reduce the amount of Advil I will need at the end of a range day. I have the recoil buffer but need a bit more. I have ordered the muzzle brake as well and it is on it’s way.

6 Likes

@Gatekeeper Wait until you get the Muzzle Brake, I found that it made a big difference. I use the brake , recoilless charging handle , and buffer and feel very little recoil.

5 Likes

I can’t confirm it still cycles, but I’d be willing to bet it does. I’m betting based on the fact that I’m still getting a full stroke running a lifesaver, a recoiless and a brake (not MCarbo).

I keep playing with ordering the brass followwr 'cause I like the gold peeking out at the charge slot. A little brasso and I could tell some whoppers.

7 Likes

I kind of like the idea of the brass showing out of the tube also. Classy.

3 Likes

I have the lifesaver recoil buffer, recoilless charging handle, and muzzle brake. I don’t notice any difference in felt recoil with the charging handle. I’ll probably go back to the two finger. The only reason I switched is because I broke 2 of the 2FCH.

3 Likes

Quick intro to how I happened upon the S2K.
I was working at a clients house and he was home that dy. Knowing that I am interested in guns he showed me his new additions. among them was a 9mm S2K. I played with it for a few minutes and thought WOW.
I ourchased ont that nght from Budsgunshop. I also found MCARBO in the same setting and bought the Pro Trigger Pack and other things Trigger guard feed ramp and heavy recharge handle. By the time my gun had arived and I was cleared by the BATF the Mcarbo parts arrived the same day. CHRISTMAS in May !!!

@gatekeeper, @godalmighty, @Dred.for what it is worth. I am running the
MC heavy recharge handle,
MC muzzle break,
MC buffer
and the KT heavy Bolt (the brass one)
Right after I purchased the Sub2000 .40S&W, before I ever shot it, I bought the trigger kit and recoil handle
and installed everything.
Then MCARBO was just thinking of doing the muzzle break and trigger bar. Chris came up with the idea (I guess it was Chris) of having a give away contest to give away 10 units of each to forum members to BETA TEST them.
I was one of the VERY LUCKY ones chosen for the muzzle break BETA TESTER.
Just before that happened KELTEC barrel recall happened. I had to send mine in.
So now I had a muzzle break but NO gun. By the time I received my S2K back the BETA TESTING was well under way and pretty much settled. I did install the break and had shot it 2 or 3 times and liked what it did for controlling muzzle lift and felt recoil.

I got really busy (which is good thing) and had very little time to shoot.

Then my son in Washington state decided to move, because he was doing very well at his job.
I went out there to help him with a storage shed. When I got home the trigger bar was waiting for me. Also SHOOT POINT BLANK (SPB) had opened their new range just 3.5 miles away from my home.
I did not install it immediately because I was trying to catch up on work because I went west. That is a good thing !
When I did install it i had not read @triggerhappy;s post on polishing parts( see my posts) and the “rest is history”.
After installing the the TB I went to SPB and have now become an fixture there. I loved what the Trigger bar did for my gun!!! At SPB I ran into others that have the S2K but in 9mm. I showed them my S2K and they were amased at how it shoot in.40S&W.
While the recoil was significantly reduced with the installed parts and after learning from whoever it was that posted the info on the KT “heavy Bolt” I decided to try it also.
IMO every upgrade of the muzzle break,Recoil buffer,heavy recoil handle and KT bolt have made it such that I can shoot this well

click on picture to open it

The 50yd target was shot rapidly less than 5 seconds per group (rested) the 100yd target was probably around 8 seconds (rested) in 5-8 MPH right to left wind.

Now I can shoot the gun like discribed in my posts in the threads
“polishing Trigger parts” ,
“how low can trigger pull be dropped” and
" trigger creep elimination" all started by others.
Since I installed the Heavy recoil handle before I ever shot the gun I do not know how it shot before that. I do know this for sure every other thing I have done for the gun has reduced felt recoil to the point that I would call the felt recoil to be on par with my Savage A22 .22WMR.

5 Likes

Logan have you shot your gun with the OEM handle and then with the MC heavy handle to compare both.

Before I did my first mod I had looked saw both the Heavy handle and the long 2FCH. I decided on the heavy handle just from the fear of catching the long handle on something.

1 Like

After I put it in I had similar thought.
Have you read my thread on polishing the both bolts and the hole where the spring goes into the recharge bolt?

3 Likes

@Gatekeeper Hey Russ, I think every little bit of recoil reduction helps. I have the Sub in .40 with KT heavy weight bolt, MC recoiless charging handle, MC bolt buffer, MC muzzle brake and ATI butt stock pad and all of these items have helped to reduce felt recoil. Can’t say if any one item is better than the other but a butt stock pad is a must for the .40.

5 Likes

@dave67 thanks for the reinforcement ! I have not done the recoil pad yet.

1 Like

@Turmeric I started with OEM. Switched to 2FCH and it broke. Got another 2FCH and it broke. Switched to heavy RCH. I don’t notice the difference and actually prefer the 2FCH.

4 Likes

@Kona I think something like the charging handle is just personal preference. I don’t know how much the recoiless charging handle reduces felt recoil (especially on the 9mm) because I added all upgrades at the same time but I do like the short fat handle over the longer skinny handle and I think it looks better, just my preference.

3 Likes

I too started with OEM, Then the 2FCH and I Sleeved it with a Mag Light Housing’ Works well and Got Rid of the Finger Pinch Effect! A little Improvement Along with the Red Life Saver.Along with taking the Charging Handle Bolt and Polishing the Hell out it and the Tube,The Muzzle Brake was the Big One.

2 Likes

I was wondering what the weight of the 2vs. heavy is .

1 Like

The muzzle break really helped me both in recoil and staying on target, no doubt
I think getting the trigger down to what I did helped a bunch .

2 Likes

Hell yes it did’ did I see where you had also Polished the bolt to Bright Chrome Finish like I have done to mine, My Question here is Why can’t the Springs for the Charging Bolt be Changed to better Enhance the system, like they Offer for all the AR stuff,Pistols etc.

1 Like

That is a great question. I do not know but until some one does enough research on that i am not going to dabble with mine. Maybe a 9mm could be less. Could be that for lighter loads it might be ok?
I am shooting LAX ammo.40 reloads and I have not set my chrony up but they come out fast. Even compared to the Sig loads. I have found those LAX loads to be pretty accurate also (just see my targets).
I have some blaser and they are weak also(compared to LAX). Browning SUCK IMO.
The radiusing of the spring entrance port on the bolt made mine run soo much smoother.
Good questions.

1 Like

I did the same to the brass bolt
I polished with Fritz then cleaned it with CLP then isopropyl then using the Dremel with Tetra grease I spent about 30 minutes buffing it. Cleaned it up and applied a liberal amount of SUPERLUBE PTFE and rubbed that in.
It flies !!!

1 Like

I agree with the cost/ reduction but put them together and FEEL what happens.

IT is like shooting a Savage A22 .22WMR.
I would like to add even more weight to that system.
Give me a depleted uranium bolt HA ha.

3 Likes

I took the Factory Original Bolt that had Bad Scratches ! From Next to No/Little Use’ And start with 30 wt oil and mild Valve lapping compound to Remove the Above and give it Some Fashion Smooth and Easy Travel in the The Tube, Finished it Off with Hrs of Polishing with Mothers till I was happy with it. You said you cleaned up Entrance port on Bolt Are the slot’s at Front of tube the Exhaust Ports for this System?

2 Likes