M*CARBO Brotherhood

Recoil Buffer & Bolt Tube Cover - SUB2000 .40 Cal

Hello all,
New on the forum. I am Damian and live in San Antonio, Texas. First, I would like to say “Thank you” to all of the Military, Police and Firefighters in the community here. You are all greatly appreciated by me, my family and many great Americans all over!! Grew up in North Louisiana and have been shooting for a while now. Ending up in Texas is a long story, but glad to be here! I just installed a Recoil Buffer and Bolt Tube Cover from M-Carbo for my Kel Tec Sub 2000 .40 Cal AR. I was having a hard time with this gun till I found these items. What a difference these items have made for my gun. I can actually enjoy shooting this gun now. I also installed the Buttstock Pad first. It helped, but it still was not quite enough as I am training my 13 year old son to shoot this gun. But the Recoil Buffer did the trick. One thing I learned during this process of installing the buffer, is to engage the hammer and do not release the hammer till you are finished. If you release the hammer and the bolt head and bolt slide out too far, the bolt head will not go back into place. I very carefully set the hammer to engaged again and the bolt assembly went back in to place. I thought for sure it was going to a gunsmith. But I got lucky. Many of you probably already know about this, but I thought I would share my little mistake by releasing the hammer with the bolt head out. Anyway, my first experience with M-Carbo parts and it is all positive. Glad to be part of the forum now with like minded people I am sure. Have a good day!

7 Likes

@dashmores Welcome to the Brotherhood. Don’t forget to go to the First Post Here: Introduce Yourself! thread and say Hi to everybody.

5 Likes

If you really want to reduce that recoil more, try the muzzle brake, recoiless heavy charging handle, and get the Kel Tec heavy bolt. Everything in conjunction work wonders together. This little gun kicks pretty good without them.

5 Likes

Thank you godallmighty and Jperr for the suggestion. I was going to just get the Skeletonized handle, but will switch to the recoilless handle. With the changes I have made so far, it is working fine for me now. May be different for my son though. The first time I shot that gun though, good grief. I shot 2 -15 round mags and I was done with it for that day. You are right, that gun kicks. And then Kel Tec puts that “stock” buttstock on there that comes to a point in the center instead of being flat. My first shot out of that gun was a big surprise.

8 Likes

That Kel Tec Buttstock totally blows. I really didn’t want to put the Mcarbo pad on it. I didn’t want to drill it out and to be honest, I thought it looked kind of jenky. But I had to do something because I hated it so much, so I installed it. It will have to do until Mcarbo, or someone else, makes a complete new stock for this gun.

7 Likes

Is the charging handle that much better compared to the double finger CH or any other option?

4 Likes

@Boots If you are trying to cut down some of the felt recoil , use the https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-recoilless-charging-handle.aspx. It is a great part of getting rid of some of it. Also get the https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-muzzle-brake-9mm-40cal-pcc-muzzle-brake.aspx, I think you will like the difference it makes.

6 Likes

I went and bought the double finger CH already a few months back. I hate how it “bites” when you shoot. So I’m seeing if it’s a HUGE difference or if it’s a slight difference.

5 Likes

One of the Charging Handle videos talks about how the larger handles helps stop the bite issue too. Check out the video at the Recoilless Handle part area. I hate my stock handle. Going to the larger one next month.

7 Likes

I cannot believe Kel Tec put that buttstock on that gun. It is horrible! I do not understand why they would design and sell something like that. Maybe there is an answer out there, but I put a buttpad on as soon as I could. I, like you, had to do something and that was the first answer for me.

7 Likes

@Boots, I don’t have both, so I couldn’t say. I would imagine if you did everything else (i.e. the buffer, stock pad, muzzle brake, Kel Tec heavy bolt) that the difference would be negligible. But I don’t really know since I don’t have both. My suggestion? Do everything else before spending the money re replacing the handle and see where that gets you.

5 Likes

@Boots Here are some numbers to crunch Tyler. Stock Bolt- 12.8oz. Heavy Bolt- 14.4oz. O.E.M. Charging Handle- 1.0oz. Skeleton Handle- 1.6oz. 2 Finger Handle w/o covers- 1.6oz. Recoilless Charging handle- 3.2oz. Hope this helps you.

6 Likes

So it seems like the Recoilless Charging handle may be the way to go!

4 Likes