M*CARBO Brotherhood

Range that I've been working on

I was asked on another thread for a pic of the range I built. This pic is from summer 2018 I believe. Since then I’ve added in another spot behind my truck and to the left of that big bush along the fence line (150 yards from targets). My truck is parked at the 100 yard cleared area. The pic is taken from the top of the creek bank where the majority of the steel is hung (it’s hung lower down, not anywhere near the top of the bank). If you look close you can see four 8" steel diamond targets in front of the clearing that the tire tracks end at. That’s the 50 yard line. The Diamonds are at 15 yards from the 50 and are for pistol.

Also added is another lane down the center from 50. Those cleared patches closest to the bottom are aimed at targets on the bank between 15 to 20 yards and they are for pistol. Added as well is the spot for the Texas Star, it’s by the 8" diamonds. Where the tire tracks are is mowed now too. Also a trail going to the left from the 50 yard line to three spots for trap. I have an automatic thrower that I occasionally bring out, mostly if the wife is coming along as she likes that best. Otherwise it’s heavy to drag out of my basement and more or less a pain to set up. I can set up the VTAC barriers wherever, it changes often. They are also heavy and a pain to drag around so they don’t come out usually unless I’m inviting someone to come along.

Beyond the bank I’m standing on is nothing but rolling hills and fields for miles. No structures for at least three miles. The bank is tall enough that no shots go over anyhow.

Wish I had a pic from this last summer as I think it looks a lot better. I mow the range weekly when the grass is growing, like to keep it short as I can. Really looks sharp after a mow.

Something to note, this isn’t my land. A rancher I’m good friends with has let me build this. He’ll come out and shoot with me every now and again, most often after church. He runs cattle here but the cows don’t come over to this corner too often as the steep bank is hard for them to navigate and they don’t like all the spurge brush down there. Frequently on hot days after I mow they will come down to lay in the cleared out spots. They don’t run off when I shoot anymore. Some will stay pretty close. I do not like hitting fresh cow patties with the mower, that really smells bad and makes a mess.

IMG_20180716_174018_375|690x388

8 Likes

This is from the 150 yard line. The fence line is maybe 15 feet in back of me. You can see the bank I’m shooting into. This day (last winter) was about 15 below and blowing. I was having fun with an old Austrian M95 straight pull shooting 1938 nazi ammo. You really can’t see the range as snow is covering everything up but I wanted to show the bank I was standing on in the previous photo.

8 Likes

That looks like Heaven to me! Thanks for posting the pics. Great your neighbor let’s you use the land to shoot. Do you hunt on it?

Now my range feels soooooo small after seeing yours!

2 Likes