M*CARBO Brotherhood

Range Day And Firearms Issue

Hi Brothers, after a long winter finally made it to the range yesterday. I chose to take an AR 15 one of my sons builds form years past, That was my first mistake lol. Gun is seldom used but I cleaned it before I went cause it had been sitting a long time. My son built ARs like some kids build model planes until he was sick of them. So thankfully I have several from before the 2016 ban. I loaded a mag charged it without issue, pulled the trigger and it burst two rounds. It shocked the hell out of me. I immediately went to put the safety on and the safety was stuck as it does when the hammer is forward. I charged it and it ejected an un fired round. The safety was able to move to the safe position again. I pulled the mag re fed it charged it, took the safety off, pulled the trigger and it fired one round ejected fed a round then nada. repeated the process and got again two shot burst with safety stuck on. I then unloaded it, locked it up. Thankfully I’m retired so no one is at the range during the week expect couple old deaf guys like me lol. If it had happen on a weekend I might be in trouble. I went home got my Mini 14 I bought in the early 80s which has about a million rounds through it and has never had one single issue and had a great time. I texted my son and he said trigger issue. He said he would swing by when he had a chance and take a look. I asked him if he had monkeyed around with the trigger he said no and he usually doesn’t lie to me. Has anyone one of you ever heard of this happening and what the possible cause may have been?

3 Likes

My first thought was a binary trigger but it sounds like a slam fire. I polished the sear on an AR milspec trigger a little too much and it would do that sometimes. Could also be some trash in the trigger group area not allowing the trigger to always reset properly or possibly weak springs.

5 Likes

Any chance the trigger springs are installed improperly?

5 Likes

had one that i picked up, and polished the sear just a smidge too much, regular as clockwork soon as it came off coldbore first round, would do a double tap, then a triple, then cook off the rest of the magazine. that was in the days when you only had a couple of places selling parts.

3 Likes

Thank you guys for the responses, Ill let him know your thoughts when he gets here, probably on the weekend they support his thinking trigger group issue. He may have installed them improperly. Even though he built four ARs it could definitely be impacted by how many beers he had that day before he started lol.

5 Likes

not a good mix guns and beer my friend @oneeyedjack

3 Likes

So true buddy. Kids,Teens do stupid things. Hes a grown man now with a family of his own and more brains.

4 Likes

@oneeyedjack

I have been looking for more of that myself but they are hard to find.:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Haha I know I could use more too. update I didn’t wait for him. I figured it out. The dis connector was not engaging the hammer on the return cycle before trigger was released and the sear could take over. Thus the double taps. also upper pin seams to be rolling out. I’m either going to get anti roll pins, new spring cause he used low end parts kit for sure. Even the mag spring is like crap, spongie. I have been seeing these all in one drop in units, any of you brothers have any experience using one, are they reallyany better than a mil spec trigger. They aren’t cheap but I would rather spend the money fix it once right, then never have to think about it again.

5 Likes

@oneeyedjack,
I have this trigger in all my AR 15’s and AR 10’s. Never had a problem with any of them. Even though they aren’t really needed, I also used the anti-roll pins. If the holes in your lower are already loose enough to slip out, I’d highly recommend using them. It does come with the pins. You can also get the same thing except with a curved trigger if you don’t like the flat one.

3 Likes

@Texprep, I have that same trigger and love it. Also I’ve been using strike industries anti walk pins, I like them due to the fact it doesn’t require allen keys to remove it.

SI anti - walk pins

3 Likes

Thanks guys for responses checked out the trigger looks like the way to go and definitely Primary arms are the best in the business! love those guys.

4 Likes

Its amazing, I’m on the other side of the country and it feels like sometimes I order from PA close the laptop get up to take a leak, on the way back the door bell rings and its the UPS guy with the package from Primary arms lol

4 Likes

However their not as good as MCARBO but their a close second :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Primary Arms is located between my house and my shop. Too close and too convenient. They get way too much of my money. It is nice being able to order and then have in my hands in 20 minutes.

4 Likes

@Texprep I’m so jealous! Love psa, just can’t buy any of the good ammo and mag deals.

3 Likes

@oneeyedjack Another trigger to look at is Velocity. The owner use to work for Timney Triggers. I have bought two on Ebay from High Impact MFG for $134.95 free S&H and they come with the anti-rotation pins. There is also a flat trigger available and 4lb. trigger pull if you don’t want 3lb.

4 Likes

@CatFood

So you have to slide and clamp that metal clip against your painted aluminum receiver? How do you keep from scratching anything?

3 Likes

@dave67 Pretty easy, there is quite a bit of space between the receiver and locking clasp. I use small needle nose pliers to snap it in place, but really doesn’t require tools to install or remove. If your out in the field and something jams up the trigger, you can unsnap with a shell casing, a stick, cartridge, knife, probably even a mag ect. And the same to snap it back in place. Unlike the ones that use a allen or torx bits that love to strip when you don’t want them to. Nothing to come loose or strip, that’s why I like them, mechanical lock.

4 Likes

@CatFood

I have had allen screws strip but never a torx screw.

3 Likes