M*CARBO Brotherhood

Random/arbitrary question thread 🧵

Hope you get yourself shipshape soon, Buckhead. :pirate_flag:

When you do back to full speed ahead, could you run that Tracker by Olan Mills and get a portrait of the inside of them ports?! :rofl:

8 Likes

I get really pissed when I send an email for product support and someone responds: “what’s going on?”

Did you read my friking email or listen to my message???

10 Likes

Or when the automated phone system asks for your card number and then when you get to a rep they ask for your card number. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

11 Likes

Are random and arbitrary questions synonymous or aren’t they?

8 Likes

More or less…I knew a guy who’s name was Less More…WTF was his parents thinking?

9 Likes

At the time I would guess not baseball.

8 Likes

The smartest senior in high school was named Mike Hunt…say that fast and imagine how we laughed when he introduced himself at school speeches…:grin::grin::grin::grin:

10 Likes

How do you think the nascar driver Dick Trickle felt growing up :rofl::rofl:

14 Likes

I was the track announcer at a dirt track in Wisconsin in the early 80’s. No kidding… Dick Trickle (pre NASCAR days) was one of the drivers. Also had another guy racing named Dick Trapp. When those guys came down the front stretch together is was hard to keep my voice from cracking. Lol.
I also knew a Formula Ford racer named Mike Hunt. Not joking.

EDIT: Just found this. Dick Trickle died in 2013. R.I.P. Partner…

10 Likes

You should try the VA’s automated system to refill prescriptions. :rofl:

9 Likes

I have just come 2 realize that “Working From Home” entails simply staying sober enough too reply two emails.
The guy that invented spell-check must have worked from home to.

11 Likes

When I screw up spelling something and get called on it, I always say my spellchecker is a democrat. Which means it rarely works and when it does, it is usually wrong.

9 Likes

Over at my ex neighbor’s (we both moved from the old subdivision) new property, 5+ acre spread on top of a hill crest… el.1800ft. Lots od peculiar stones…

He said these are quartz and are coming up out of the ground. I had notice that around the existing flower beds there were other decorative rocks of different types…feldspar? Thinking they were all already here…not bought.

These last round stones (below) look to have been in a river by their smooth appearance. They were just recently dug up from a wooded area that had not been previously disturbed.

Last pics are a couple of pieces he let me take home:

Maybe one of you geologist types, @Moosecall JM? can verify. It just seems weird these big chunks of rock that look like glass (my first thoughts) are scattered around under the surface.
There are also long slivers of some aggregate (possibly more feldspar) on down the hill, running several yards long and 3-4 ft wide, just at the surface.

14 Likes

My father used to buy those for decorating his fish tanks, $$$$$ in your pocket.

10 Likes

Polish em up and sell em to the hippes as “power stones” :rofl:

11 Likes

@Slowest
Very nice rocks you have there.
I’ll take a crack at it.
The rocks are angular as you noted, and I am doubtful they are of local origin.
Photo 1. The black on is right of the Shawshank Redemption movie, being obsidian or volcanic glass.
Photo 2. The others also silica, of a very high purity, possibly even man made, melted and high purity silica the breaks are conchoidal attesting to the “glass” or silica mineral. If these are found naturally, very rare. Looks like somebody has collected them and left them there. Photo 2 & 3. The rocks surrounding them appear to be sandstone and they show signs of a considerable transport distance, or as you noted show signs of water and/or wind erosion.
Photo’s 5 - 7. Again, almost certainly these have been collected from a distant source and placed there, not meaning that they are in a line but they are very different being my best guess from the photo, micaceous schist, high purity crystalline sandstone, diorite granite, mafic volcanic andesite with flat lying quartz veining (stockwork).
Photo 8. River stone appears to be sedimentary.
Photo 9. Excellent samples of high purity silica glass with a pigment or other mineral added for the colour. Proof that these are not natural origin are the air bubbles within them, not that common if they formed by “mother nature”.
That’s my best guess.
Cheers,

11 Likes

@Moosecall
First piece zoomed in seems to have a green hue to it. Mexico or other possible Central American origin?

8 Likes

Nope.

Arbitrary assumes a lack of value in the question, or answer.

6 Likes

I think your disturbing Indian graves. :pleading_face:

Larry :rofl: :rofl:

9 Likes

Arbitrary is based on numerical chance… and not reason. Therefore given a particular confidence interval one could arrive at a value… an undetermined; not assigned a specific value.

Example, the statement $x+x=2x$ is true for arbitrary values of $x, but the statement $x+x=2$ is not true for arbitrary values of $x$ (only for a specific value: $x=1$).

I would explain more but I have to arrange my M&M’s in alphabetical order now.

9 Likes