M*CARBO Brotherhood

Rail Size: Picatinny vs Weaver

All Things SUB-2000!
Have a beginner question. Found a red dot that’s a good buy. The specs say it fits a 21mm weaver rail. Does this mean it can fit the factory rail on a Gen 2?

2 Likes

I bet it will. The dimensions for Pic and Weaver are very, very similar.

1 Like

It may, but it will be less than ideal. A picatinny mount should have a crossbrace that FILLS the gap completely. Weaver mounts use clamping force to maintain position and their crossbraces do very little to maintain location.

Wedge and I will always disagree here. The fact that plenty of manufacturers claim their mount works for both systems really confuses things. I simply enthusiastically disagree with those manufacturers making that claim. One of the old threads includes a link to 1913 Picatinny Spec Sheet.

You may have luck with a Weaver mount if tou file the peak in your KT rail flat. Mine is not filed. I use properly spec’d picatinny mounts. I have no problems holding zero with my unmolested KT humpty rail.

4 Likes

Im with Wedge. It should fit.

1 Like

We do? LOL

All I said was that it would probably fit. Fit well? Who knows.

2 Likes

HOOT,

Yes, I’m “triggered” every time I read the advice to file the s2k rail. But, as a male, I do not have the spare stamina to respond every time I get triggered by this issue. If I put my gf up to keeping up with this issue … exactly zero occurrences would slip by without response :sunglasses:.

4 Likes

Well, my Holosun would rock back and forth and not mount for a repeatable zero. Filed the rail flat per the actual Pic design drawing/specifications and she snaps on with perfect zero every time now. But, that’s just my specific situation. Oh well, it worked just fine for me. :+1:

As for our disagreement or whatever, I don’t even remember what our “issue” in the past was. LOL

2 Likes

@Wedge @Dred disagreements will happen from time to time, but we are all brothers here and are all on the same team, all we can do is offer our opinions and knowledge and let the person asking decide for themselves what’s best for them. I respect the opinions of everyone in the forum as they are like belly buttons, everyone has one. Both of you guys are great contributors here!!

2 Likes

@davidcpa135 The end profile of a Picatinny and Weaver rail are the same. The difference is the size of the gaps on the rail. The Weaver rail has narrower gaps and probably not uniform, they were usually spacific to the application. A Picatinny rail has wider gaps and the gaps are uniform the whole length of the rail, it has been the industry standard since 1995. There are videos on YouTube that talk about this. I would say that Wedge (Scott) is right and the optic for a Weaver rail will mount on a Picatinny rail. Dred (Milton) also has a point that it might not be “ideal” to do this.

1 Like

@Wedge And Scott you are also right about the Picatinny rail on the Sub-2000 being “crowned” in the middle. When I clamp my Vortex Sparc AR on my rail it sure does rock side to side, I have not filed the crown down yet.

1 Like

It’s easy to file down. Just a few passes with a nice, sharp flat file. The nice thing is the plastic stays looking the same and not “chewed up” or anything that makes it look like it was filed.

Triggered Will Robinson

:grin:

I’ve got Vortex glass but no Vortex mounts - so shame on Vortex. Love their glass.

1 Like

If you need to use the "weaver style cross bolt on your devise then before you completly clamp it tight move it towards the muzz;e. THat way the recoil will make it BANG up against the block that it is up against.

1 Like