M*CARBO Brotherhood

Question on TAC-14 configuration change :-)

Hi everyone, I was hoping that some of the more knowledgeable folks here could help me figure out if I can change the configuration of my Rem. TAC-14 without any need for additional paperwork or licenses.

I have a standard TAC-14 with the bird’s head grip but noticed that Rem. is selling one with a brace on their web site (photo below). It looks super cool and I would like to reconfigure mine to something close.

The Rem. has a basic SBT brace and what looks to be a Houge grip. I would like to use the same grip but add an SBT folding adapter and one of the adjustable length SBT braces (photos below).

Would doing that break any rules - I sure hope not because I think it would make a great shotgun configuration.

Posting this question with fingers crossed. As always, any help with info (or if someone could point me in the right direction to figure it out myself) would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I live in WA state if that is important…

Norm

A side folder I hadn’t considered such a thing I don’t have the tac-14 I have the 590 Shockwave and I have a pistol grip and Brace on mine with a crimson trace saddle laser for some outstanding shooting from the hip accuracy

3 Likes

Sounds really nice - have you had yours long?
Just got mine - really hard to locate them these days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Private seller a good friend of mine only had it for a couple of weeks

2 Likes

Just a bump. Newbie needs some help… :thinking:

Norm

1 Like

The Side Folder is a NO-GO because ATF changed the RULING on the Length REQUIREMENT with Folding Braces the 26 inch MINIMUM is NOW with the Brace FOLDED! Take a Look at the Remigton website you can see the Tac-14 Tactical which is very similar to the picture you have posted except it has a Plus 1 Magazine Extension. I have build up one of the Tac-14 Tactical up to a FULL Tactical SETUP

Surefire Light, Holosun 507C, Mesa Tactical 8 round side saddle w/top Rail and M4 Stock adapter w/Custom Recoil Reducer and SB Tactical SBA4 the A4 brace is Adjustable like a M4 Stock is since the Recoil Reducer has 6 positions and if you do the Short Barrel Shotgun you can put your choice of Telescopic Stock.

3 Likes

Thanks AF22Raptor, BTW, your setup looks great. Can you tell me if there is a min and max length - I’m having a hard time understanding what exactly puts this type of weapon into the category that does not require any additional license.

If, with the brace folded it was 21 inches, it would be ok?

Norm

1 Like

So, this is NOT my understanding.

I’m not aware of a minimum length requirement for a pistol.

There is a recent “clarification” dealing with braces, pistol length and permissibility. Pistols must be 26" before a VERTICAL foregrip is permissible and braces are not included in the length measurement.

That said, the buffer tube length is counted in the length according to firing condition. If the firearm can fire folded, the buffer tube doesn’t count.

Clear as mud … right?

What the clarification did was prevent folks from running vertical foregrips by stretching pistol length with a brace. If you aren’t running a vertical foregrip - you shouldn’t be concerned about minimum length measurements of a PISTOL.

2 Likes

Hmmmm, so, first I’m sorry to have this many questions but it is hard to understand what is ok and what is not (for me anyway).

Would the Houge grip that Rem. installs on their factory TAC-14 with the brace be considered a vertical grip?

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me understand this, I know everyone has more fun stuff to do, so thanks again…

Norm

1 Like

I am not familiar with the grip you reference. If it’s a grip for the support hand that is perpendicular to the bore axis - then yes.

But if rem is installing it from the factory - probably pistol grip for your shooting hand. If it’s a pistol grip, you are good unless you reside in the wrong state.

2 Likes

No need for sorry, that’s what the boards are here for, to help and share knowledge. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think you’ll find that, for most of us, gun-related stuff IS fun stuff. :grinning:

Unfortunately for me, I can’t contribute to your specific question, shottys aren’t my forte. That said, I’d say you’re in good hands with @Dred and the other guys here, they’ll get you sorted. :+1:

1 Like

I have been reading the ATF web site for about 30-40 min. Did a bunch of searches but no joy. All I have to show for it is a headache :slight_smile: sigh

Dred, Your understanding is WRONG!!! I am a Type 07 Manufacturing FFL Dealer that means that I can build firearms from scratch and to do so I have to be aware of all the CHANGING REGULATIONS that the BATFE sends out every week lately. Here a Great Explanation on how the NON-Shotgun Status of Weapons like the Shockwave and Tac-14/13 works!!
https://www.walkertaylorlaw.com/post/mossberg-is-making-a-wave-legality-and-classification-of-the-590-shockwave#:~:text=A%20shotgun%20must%20have%20an,careful%20when%20designing%20this%20firearm.
You are very WELCOME!

1 Like

Well then … I expect:. THANKS in advance were warranted???

All said, I’m near certain I referenced an AR pistol ruling and side folding buffer tubes rather than shockwaves.

But, thanks.

1 Like