M*CARBO Brotherhood

Proof a kodiak bear can smile. send in your best animal pics 🐻

14 Likes

fish10

6 Likes

Bear4

5 Likes

Had this chance encounter yesterday while on the way to the makeshift range.
On my return an hour or so later she was gone.
Thought is was kind of cool and wanted to share this picture I took of this female snapping turtle while laying her eggs on the side of the road beside a wet area.
Here is a backgrounder on the snapping turtle I copied from the web:
The snapping turtle is Ontario’s most prehistoric-looking turtle species. Its long tail has a series of triangular spikes along the top that are reminiscent of those of a stegosaurus. The carapace (upper shell) is tan or olive to black in colour, has a coarsely serrated anterior (front) edge and three longitudinal ridges, and is often covered with algae. The plastron (lower shell) is very small. The maximum length of the carapace in this species is 47 centimetres. The snapping turtle is the largest freshwater turtle in Canada.
IMG_20200621_180158

6 Likes

6 Likes

@Moosecall that looks similar to what we have here in the southeast known as an alligator snapper. A fully grown turtle could break every damn bone in your hand if he gets you. This 8-9 foot gator was chilling in the dead center of the road on the Georgia side of the Osceola National Forest. Made me stop before he hissed at me and slowly trotted off lol

3 Likes

@Flogrown
Wow, that is amazing. A lot of steaks in that reptile. It’s huge.
If those were around I would be thinking twice before hanging out in them woods in the background.
Glad we don’t have these bast up here.
Ya I got fairly close when I took that picture but the turtle didn’t flinch, usually they will hiss and snap at you.

4 Likes

@Moosecall fried gator tail is good if done right. Never tried the leg meat but would. They do have these loin like strips on each side of their jaws that I’ve heard are amazing

4 Likes

@Flogrown
In 2017 snapping turtles were protected and removed from harvesting after public outcry. Permanently banning to give the species a chance to rebound. I’ve seem them from time to time in the wild. I noticed that female made three separate nest within meters of each other.

4 Likes