M*CARBO Brotherhood

ProMag Magazines Are Junk

About two months ago I bought two 32-round ProMag 10/22 magazines because they were cheap ($20 each). I noticed when I first got them the geometry of the feed was a lot different from a Ruger magazine but they seemed to work okay - for about 200 rounds each. Went to the range today and kept getting misfeeds from one of them and it looked like this - note the stock Ruger BX-25 next to it. Cheap pot metal next to the real stuff.

The other ProMag magazine is severely worn too, it just doesn’t have a piece broken off of it… yet. Guess what magazines I won’t buy any more of. Guess what magazines got thrown in the trash today.

I bought some ETS Glock mags for my S2K. So far after about 300 rounds each they’ve worked fine and don’t show any abnormal wear.

Any other 10/22 magazines besides Ruger that are any good? I liked the higher capacity of the ProMags.

9 Likes

I avoid Promag completely. Pure junk. Here’s one that has been awesome for me.

Just adding that I’ve only run Ruger mags and this drum. Both have been flawless.

9 Likes

What this guy said. Only mags I’ve ever had malfunction were Promags.

8 Likes

Check out Black Dog Machine. Weirdly, even though I don’t have a 10/22, I do have a 10/22 Tower for a Black Dog Machine Drum. I have it because BDM was out of stock on M&P 15-22 drums, but had 10/22 drums and 15-22 Towers. I had a coupon code that made the 10/22 tower free. Only reason I haven’t offered it up is my gfs son’s 10/22. The tower allows me to loan him my drum. I shoot the shorty 10 rounders most often 'cause I’m a closeted FUDD. I own several 25s and the Drum 'cause my closet is my own, deeply personal business.

6 Likes

Bought one of these and tried it at the range today. It worked flawlessly with everything but… wait for it… Winchester SuperX. Geco, CCI standard velocity, Norma Tac-22, even Federal bulk all worked without a hiccup but SuperX had 21 failures out of 100. Either it chambered and wouldn’t go bang or wouldn’t completely eject. I put those rounds in a BX-25 mag and they all fired without problem. I’m no fan of GSG and wouldn’t have bought it without your recommendation, so thanks for the tip - I enjoyed myself. I’d be thinking about a binary trigger if I had someplace I could use it. :smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know if I’ve tried any SuperX in mine.
I have a metal box of mixed, old 22LR ammo.
No telling what all is in it. It runs it, though.

I haven’t run these in my 10-22, but I run one in my AR-22.
It has been flawless as well. Wanting another one for M&P.

1 Like