Products That Can Save Your Life

had a lil incident today, I can be graceful, and well medical equpt just aint user friendly sometimes. anyway
they upt a PICC line in last week, so i can try to beat this infection the hospital so kindly sold me( aint that some crap) anyway to use it, DOD requires i use a 2/3 lb pusher pump to inject over 35 minutes. damn thing runs on C batteries.

anyway after shooting the dose this am, my butterfingered butt ripped the PICC line off clean with the bicep (i dropped the damp pump), just above the shut off. that tiny lil toothpick sized line? shot blood out like it was coming out of a firehose.
the 3 steps it took me to grab my GO bag and rip the C.A.T. tourniquet off the front, , and get it locked down, ceiling , wall, dog, is washed down, and im standing in a widening puddle as it drips down. girlchild walked in the room bout that time, and took the whole scene in. looked like a scene from Texas chainsaw massacre :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
she didnt pass out.:+1:
out the door we went. keep in mind, i was locking down for work, so knife on belt, shoulder rig on. I grabbed a sweatshirt, threw it over one arm and one shoulder, she grabbed my small ruck, and she was drivin.
C.A.T. sealed it up as much as i wanted. left it dripping. we went to closest ER.
SHE FRISKED ME before we left the truck, everything in the center lockbox. pistol, 4 mags, leatherman, folder and fixed blade and we strolled in.
Im not a people person to start with. im standing there, trying to enter the info in the kosic, dripping blood on their machine and floor, and i hear my youngun bust loose with a tirade that woulda made any westpac sailor take notes… I counted 2 languages, mighta been three, first one to get to saw the holster and hesitated, second one saw the C.A.T. and sped up.(sweatshirt slid half off, soaked) she locked it down 1 more turn, told me i was close enough and off i went to get a new PICC line installed.
first she thought i was shot, told her snapped a PICC.

anyway, spent the rest the day, cleanin my holster belt and gear, do the truck a second time tomorrow, it looked like a crime scene, and wouldnt let girlchild clean it up, due to the flipping infection. even washed the dog.
moral of my story, if you dont have a C.A.T. tourniquet, get one. get two. keep one on your gear bag. you nick something deep, you will pass out before you get it shut down 90% of the time.

doc did tape it triple tape it this time, both sides of the clamp…:smiling_imp:
if nothing else, i can be entertaining…

10 Likes

@russ is that the name of it[new skin] sounds like a handy thing to have id have no problem using up the bottle ,wonder if i can get it in ireland ive never heard of it or can you get it on line

3 Likes

@GOBLIN you had a good day did’nt you :joy::joy::joy: glad your ok though buck

4 Likes

@hunter1916 You can get it on Amazon if need be.AC_SY400

6 Likes

@dave67 thanks for that dave

5 Likes

@dave67 just ordered the new skin in a spray on ebay approx 13$ thats including post from the states to ireland

5 Likes

@goblin Glad to hear it turned out well and that you’re OK.

4 Likes

Yep that is the name. Try this link New Skin Products. That will probably be your best bet for getting it in Ireland.

4 Likes

@hunter1916: Apologize for replying so late. My IP provided modem/router has been glitchy and had to order a new one and install.

3 Likes

@russ thanks russ i found some on ebay and ordered the spray version thanks for the info

4 Likes

How about a chainsaw? Anyone got some favorites or some good stories? :grin::+1:

4 Likes

Unnh, Chainsaw?? Sheez, John that would take a trauma center to go along with the chainsaw. :joy:

5 Likes

@russ Wonderful Stuff’ :+1: Used it for years as a Mechanic, Another Prior to finding this neat stuff was (Bowler’s Thumb) Same Idea and Quality.:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Let me say that I’m not a physician, surgeon, or psychiatrist.

I didn’t see this mentioned but I carry 3M Vetbond and steri-strips in my first aid kits. Since shooting is my hobby, I have a large range bag. Two external pockets are dedicated to the following items:

Pocket 1:
Adventure Medical Trauma Pak
Hyfin Chest Seal
Extra package of QuickClot
Two Israeli bandages
CAT Tourniquet
A “GOOD” pair of trauma shears

Pocket 2:
Basic first aid kit
3M Vetbond

Both pockets have a bright red PVC cross on the Velcro strip.

At the end of last year I had money left in my FSA account, so I refreshed my kit.

6 Likes

@Johnksg ive had a couple of near misses with chainsaws prob, the most dangerous tools you can have in your kit but they do come in handy spec after and during storms

3 Likes

how about thisif your caught out in the cold

9 Likes

I did kinda mean this thread to be about SAR/First Responder hardware and gear, but since it turned all medical…

I ALWAYS have a compression bandage, blood clotter, and a tourniquet near by! :grin::+1:

8 Likes

@hunter1916 That’s my poison too. Irish made whiskey is on a different level but I still like a good bourbon

7 Likes

I am a firm believer in having a mylar blanket readily available for both maintaining body heat and also a bright reflective material for signaling for help in a bad situation.

9 Likes

@hunter1916 new avatar is ominous looking… I love it​:+1::wink:

5 Likes