M*CARBO Brotherhood

Problem with my 597

im having a problem with my 597 magnum its ejecting live rounds but when i fire the shell is getting jamed half way out theres a new extractor in it and some times the shells wont eject either anyone got any ideas

4 Likes

I’ll offer possible suggestions.

1. The set screw(s) for the guide rod(s) are too tight which is bowing the rods.

2. The guide rod(s) may possibly be bent.

3. Dirty chamber.

Knowing you’re an experienced 597 owner, this is not likely the problem but may be a place to start.

6 Likes

These guys cite a few fixes that help (if you’ve haven’t see it).
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888338

6 Likes

@Festus i have checked those already and are fine , but thanks for advice

5 Likes

@Thatoneguy i tried to look up that site but company wi-fi wont let me because its not a secure site

5 Likes

Thought so knowing you’ve had your 597 for some time, maybe dirty/worn magazines?

5 Likes

@Festus sorry another no a new mag in it too

6 Likes

Wait one. I’ll try a copy and paste of the highlights here for ya.

6 Likes

From the site:
Corrective Action - I called The Kentucky Gun Club March 13th. The customer service representative spoke with the owner and he told her to have me call Remington (a pretty lame answer from the owner after a $1,000 cash spend, but I do live 200 miles away), so I called Remington.
Remington was great (thus far) about having my 597 Magnum sent to an authorized gunsmith for the repairs. After purchasing the rifle and realizing this particular model seemed to be plagued with a few simple, and cost effective, fixes, I opted to move forward with the repair but am hoping I can get a Volquartsen Extractor, Volquartsen Target Hammer, and MCarbo trigger improvement kit installed in the process (these three items at my cost).
It’s unfortunate that Remington hasn’t recalled these rifles and fixed all of them because I really do like the rifle, simply want it to fire 300-500 rounds without a misfeed or misfire. I could have gone with a Savage 17 HMR, but I’m just not a fan of the Savage magazine system.
From what I can tell, the three aftermarket (non-OEM) products listed above correct 99% of the problems with the Remington 597 Magnum. More to come once I get the rifle back in a week or so.

7 Likes

@Thatoneguy will you send me remingtons phone number i wont be sending them my gun as i am in ireland but someone there might be able to help me .
thanks
include you international phone code

7 Likes

You’ll have to give a bit to get that number for you. About to hit the road here.
Here is a link that will let you email the UK Remington customer support. If they can’t help, perhaps they can get you a good number. I’ll check back here later and post the numbers I find.
https://www.remingtonproducts.com/support/contact-us.aspx

This was a joke btw…

6 Likes

@hunter1916
Part of the chapter 13 was the split of Remington firearms from Remington ammo. The firearms site is now remarms.com

Country code for US is 001 I believe.

5 Likes

That’s the best I got for now. Chasing other numbers keeps bringing me back to ammo support. Truly hope it helps.
BTW: I can trace part of myself back to the Barry’s of county Cork :four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

5 Likes

You and a third of the white population with northeastern US origins… :grinning:

4 Likes

With a bit of Scotch, Swedish and eastern Cheerokee :+1:t2:

3 Likes

@Thatoneguy thanks for your help ile try that number ive been off line the weekend in fact every weekend , barrys famous cork name big name in tea look up barrys tea ,i live very close to cork border in tipperary in a famous place called ballyporeen where your president ronald reagans kin came from thanks again :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

@hunter1916 let us know what’s the problem and the fix when you have it sorted out.

4 Likes

@Festus i will do ,i havent tried to ring yet

3 Likes

Unfortunately with the bankruptcy of Remington, we 597 owners are kind of on our own now. I made a project out tuning the 597s. I had a 597 in 17HMR. The saga of the factory repairs and then final recall is a long one so I will not venture into it. I converted it to a 22 mag with a Jarvis Bull barrel (Javis-custom.com) and did the whole Volquartsen and M-Carbo trigger upgrades. I also polished the bolt/hammer contact points, rods and bolt guides. I put it all on a Boyd’s Spike Camp stock (you have to sand out the stock for the bigger bull barrel). It shoots lights out. But it is still a picky about the ammo it shoots. It likes the all 40 grain bullets just fine. Though it groups 30 grain bullets great it does not function well with them. 50 grain bullets neither group well or function well. After lots of time and money it comes down to Remington’s cheap plastic trigger assembly does not allow you fine tune the all the quirks out of the 597 magnum. Jard Triggers makes an aluminum billet drop-in trigger assembly but at $250 a pop it’s a bit expensive. Though after all my efforts and money I may give it a shot. I went through the exact same process with a 597 22lr. and use the Keep Shooting magazines. Even with the cheap OEM plastic assembly It eats all 22 lr ammo with no problems and groups very well. I have done five other 597 Magnum upgrades and three 597 22lr upgrades for friends. I have been able to swap out trigger assembles. If there are issues, it always seems to follow the trigger assemble.

6 Likes

@Old-N-Still-Here i up graded the hammer with mcarbo new extractor and was working fine then suddenly shells started jamming half way out of barrel it will extract live rounds no problem it only after i shoot that there jamming

2 Likes