M*CARBO Brotherhood

Problem: LCP Takedown pin walking out

Just installed the LCP (1) takedown pin and spring. Went to the range and it kept creeping out. I double-checked that I put the spring in correctly, I turned it so the detent was down. Thoughts?

3 Likes

@dross80 Welcome to the Brotherhood. Don’t forget to go to the First Post Here: Introduce Yourself! thread and say Hi to everybody.

2 Likes

you put it in with the detent up, then once installed you turned it till you felt the spring click in the slot correct?

3 Likes

I turned the detent up first, but I can’t say I really felt a click when I turned it.

1 Like

@dross80

Welcome to the MCarbo Brotherhood, Dan.

3 Likes

with the pin out do you see the bit of lock spring sticking past the hole. what position is it in…

1 Like

@dross80 welcome to the forum dan

2 Likes

It’s pointing up and is right about in the middle. Looks just like the installation video shows it.

3 Likes

when you inser the pin, and it locks on the spring, you should be able to spin it and lock it in then if you move slightly clockwise and counterclockwise, you feel resistance if you gently move both directions. are you?

2 Likes

I hate to say it, but I think there’s a problem with that design. I had the Tandemcross version of that pin before MCARBO had one. It started walking out in the first couple of mags. I never had that problem with the stock pin and spring. What I think is happening is the pin rotates during recoil. Well, if that’s happening then the spring will quickly rotate out of the groove in the new pin and then there’s nothing left to hold the pin in place. In comparison, the stock pin has a machined shoulder 360 degrees around so it doesn’t matter where the stock pin ends up during the firing cycle. Retention remains the same. Again, I just went back to the stock parts and zero issues with pin walking out in over 1000 rounds. Other than launching the top end downrange, the pin walking out is extra bad because once the steel pin comes out of the hole in the other side of the frame, it will waller out the hole with the retention spring and quickly ruin the softer aluminum frame. Just make sure you have the newest version of that pin from Ruger with the deepened recess at the shoulder for the spring. I’d ask Ruger for one anyway and I’ll bet they send it to you for free. :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. It definitely rotated during recoil, I could see that was the issue. I’ll see if I can get the new pin from Ruger. Is it also hardened steel so the head doesn’t come off?

One more thing. I almost wonder if the new pin would work with the stock retention spring. Seems like it would be harder for the pin to turn because it crosses the entire hole instead of ending in the middle of the hole.

3 Likes

try it see if it does… if it snaps in put a mark at 12oclock on the head with a sharpie fire off a couple of mags and see if it moves

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s hardened steel. I’ve been with this pistol design since the original Kel-Tec P3AT, which is what Ruger ripped off for their LCP Gen 1. I’ve never had a problem with any of the pins shearing the head off. As for the MCARBO pin working with the stock spring, I don’t know as I’ve never had that one. The Tandemcross version didn’t come with a spring and it’s the exact same type of design as the MCARBO pin. Mine still walked out with the stock spring, so…

4 Likes

So, full circle. I replaced the original pin with the Mcarbo pin, but I hadn’t had any problems with the original pin walking out, I had just read that there was a problem with the head shearing off. Anyway, after reading your post, I examined my original takedown pin and it’s the new version with the groove. So, I’ll put that one back in it and hopefully no more problems.

5 Likes

Zero problems for me after reinstalling the stock pin. Sometimes the original design is the best way.

4 Likes

So, one more word on this. I emailed Mcarbo on Monday about this issue, asking for advice. Still nothing. I didn’t ask for money back, just advice. Kind of surprised they didn’t respond at all.

I was planning to order some other things from them - I’ve got a Kel Tec P11, a P40, and two sub2Ks I was going to buy parts for, and I still probably will, but a response would have given me more confidence.

3 Likes

They’re much more responsive if you call them.

3 Likes

Good to know. I don’t want to be a stickler. I like their products. :slightly_smiling_face:

I probably won’t for this issue, since it’s resolved and the cost wasn’t much.

4 Likes

New member here.

I had this problem over the weekend. I didn’t notice the pin coming out, and my gun actually flew apart on the range. I was able to collect the receiver off the ground then find the recoil springs and rod about ten to fifteen feet away.

The guy that emailed me from Mcarbo didn’t acknowledge this as a known issue.

I have to send my pin and spring in, and he will send me another. I’ll post the results.

6 Likes

@Hotspur Welcome to the Brotherhood.

4 Likes