M*CARBO Brotherhood

Preferred truck tire?

So I’m looking to put new tires on my 2017 Ford F150 ecoboost. Usually I go with BF Goodrich KO2 but I’m having trouble finding them in stock locally. What other all terrains do you guys recommend.

5 Likes

I’m currently running nitto ridge grapplers on my tundra and love them as a hybrid tire. Not lasting as long as the Cooper st maxx I had before but much quieter. I’ve also had good luck with the Toyo at2

6 Likes

I ran Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO 2’s for about 10 years. Now running Firestone Destination A/T2’s. Seem to be just as good…cost less.

Mountain roads and curves just wear a fire down fast.

I buy truck tires from a Firestone Dealer. I buy the lifetime alignment and balancing for around $120.00 and have them do this every 3K. That way when the tires wear out at 25K the next set is 50% off…since they have a 50K warranty…:face_with_monocle::grin:

Used to do a 5-way rotation but stopped that awhile ago…hurt too much to buy 5 new tires! :joy::joy::joy:

I have a 2005 Nissan Titan Off Road Big Tow 4x4 package and a lot of mods…:sunglasses::boom::boom::boom:

Daily driver is a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek AWD

7 Likes

I have these General tires on my truck.

These are grippy and and big plus is they aren’t noisy.

8 Likes

got Hankook Dyna pro all terrains on the 94.excellent in the gumbo mud

7 Likes

No wonder you are @Slowest , in a ranger !
I will vouch for being a lifetime BFG A/T fanboy, and made the switch to Falken wildpeak at3w 2 years ago to save cost. They perform as well, and are as quiet on the highway as the BFGs at a 30% cost reduction. No complaints at all.!
Disclaimer, i chose load range C instead of E to lessen the stiffness, and smooth out the ride.
Screenshot_20200103-190130_Gallery|690x326

6 Likes

On my Ford 2002 PSD 4WD I run Firestone Transforce AT2 tires, a hybrid but really more highway than AT and is a good long wearing tire I get 60 to 80K miles on. Recommend finding an installer that has a Hunter 9000 Force Balancer, and I run Centramic continous wheel balancers

5 Likes

Yep, you know it. :rofl:
For the $1200 price tag, I can’t complain.
If I wanna make time I drive this VW.

5 Likes

For my trucks and work vans ive allways just went with the goodyear wranglers they are a good all terrain tire and walmart usually has them in stock and for my 15 and 16 inch wheels they aint but like 78 dollars a tire. Then i take them to my buddies shop and give him 5 bucks each for mount and balance. Now as far as best tires i ever had would be Michelins as far as getting your miles out of them. And off road only tires i would go with good set of mickeys or Pirelli

4 Likes

I’m a big fan of Cooper tires, haven’t had one problem with them (knock on wood).

5 Likes

@MountainHunter makes an excellent point about Firestone. Good luck with internet purchases when it comes to any type of warranty issues. Same thing when you buy a tire from a generic shop.

Also gotta rotate every oil change and align regularly.

In addition to Bridgestone Revo3, Firestone Destination AT2 and Transforce…look at the Firestone Destination XT. It’s an LT rated tire (like the Transforce) and will come with a warranty. If you’ve liked the KO2’s, give the XT’s a look.

5 Likes

EVERY TIRE. TRUCK CAR BIKE UTV every tire has a date code on it.born on this date. any tire place, its against the law to sell that tire as new 2 years after that date, because the manufacture warranty has expired.best you can get from a tire place is if they sell you a road hazard plan with it. if you can find one to sell it to you.(liability)
online discount places buy those expired tires, and sell them at a discount. because, they are expired tires. technically any local tire mounting place will not mount them, if they legit (again liability) but a lot do.
not saying their bad tires, Ive ran them before. its just the reason they can sell online cheap any you have no recourse. thats how i got the 33" hankooks for the price of 33"coopers.

wanna piss your tire guy off? run slime in a tire. or those lil ceramic balancing beads.
you need to start running when he pops the bead.

wanna make yer tires run smoother and live a lil longer? on street tires,/mostly street tires. run nitrogen in em . just make sure to put the green valve caps on em so your tire guy knows its in there.
for mud bugs like me, not worth it cause you air em up and down , but then you get into the whole bitchfest about running rimlocks on a paved road…

6 Likes

No… you are now my tire guy. I learneded soon much. Glad I have insomnia… with a touch of dementia to make things interesting. I don’t even want to get into my Tide Pod issues now

4 Likes

:crazy_face: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :crazy_face: :smiling_imp:
im rust. i just never sleep…

4 Likes

I’m also a big fan of Cooper tires. :+1: :+1: :+1:. I have never had a single issue or problem with any Cooper.

I finally bit the bullet last week, and put new Mud Claw Extreme M/T 265/70/17 (made by Cooper),
tires on my 2011 Wrangler.

I’ve put 200mi (paved/dry gravel) on them so far.
They drive and handle great.
They have a perfectly smooth ride. (no lug vibration at all)
They haven’t picked up or thrown a single rock, into the fender well or ?, at any speed
They have a “tiny” bit of highway howl, but not bad. (don’t really notice unless you listen for it).
I doubt it is any more (and is far less) than other mud treads.

Set of 4 was $1000 and 43cents, out the door. Incl. tax, tire disposal fee, etc.

5 Likes

ya know what ya should do if you hear the howl coming from mud cleats on off road tires going down the road?
turn the radio up brother, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :smiling_imp: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

6 Likes

Hahahaha…Ah, the howl canceling device. :ok_hand: Amen to that my friend!
I think nowadays, it is standard/mandatory equip. (With the exception of a specific, option/equip, delete order.) :grinning:

5 Likes

hear that howl for years.ya know how it works. the bigger the claw on the paw the louder the howl…

3 Likes

We have a fleet of vehicles, some winter, some summer, and some for year-round utility and access to our farm. The tire of choice for our two 4x4 trucks and six Jeeps is the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac. The western PA winters can be a challenge with our 1/2 mile long driveway. Our twenty-three acre farm can be a fun place to get around anytime, with mud, hills, and rock.

I have some friends who work for a major pipeline company. They use their trucks anywhere there is work to be done. All types of terrain and all weather conditions. Their trucks carry their equipment and tools needed to get the job done. They use DuraTracs because they don’t have time to get unstuck or to have tires repaired. They go where they need to go, when they need to be there, and they don’t get stuck.

The DuraTracs are quieter on the highway than other all-terrain or off-road tires. They have a longer tread life as well. They are severe snow rated, and do very well even if the wear bars are showing.

My best suggestion for longer life from any all-terrain or off-road tire is pretty simple. Keep your tires properly inflated, especially on the highway. Rotate your tires every oil change (3000 to 5000 miles, depending on how hard you drive your vehicle). Keep your vehicle’s steering and suspension inspected and lubricated, and worn parts replaced. Also, keep your vehicle aligned to the factory specification. If your tires seem to be getting noisier between oil changes, it’s an indication of worn parts and/or an alignment problem.

I’ll apologize for being so long winded here, but you learn a lot over fifty years time of mechanical, heavy truck and equipment, and 4x4 experience. Best of luck in your search.

6 Likes

If it gets too loud, you need a bigger amp.

5 Likes