M*CARBO Brotherhood

PMR 30 Who Has One And What Are Its Issues?

I may have a chance at a good deal on a pmr 30 from Kel tec like that it’s 22 Magnum comes with two clips each can hold they say 30 rounds tell what you all know about it

4 Likes

@Jefft1967 I think it’s an interesting pistol but the ammo is not cheap especially for shooting 30 rounds at a time and the videos I’ve watched show it being very picky on what type of ammo it cycles well.

3 Likes

Mine is picky on ammo. I have actually had the best luck with what the owners manual tells you not to shoot. That being Hornady 30gr vmax. Owners manual will tell you nothing under 40gr. I have polished the feedramp, tried a myriad of ammo and even went so far as to buy the keltec 505 barrel with muzzlebrake to try and make this firearm 100% reliable, and it just isnt. Some will say they have no issues but i have my doubts. We are discussing this a little in another thread. Some say they lube the ammo and have no issues. I never tried this and believe there is no reason in the world why you should have to lube your ammo to make a firearm run reliably. I do enjoy shooting it but i would definitely not trust it with my life! For me it is a range toy and nothing more. My intentions for this was a self defense gun for the wife because she is fairly recoil sensitive and really only likes to shoot her Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite and 10 rounds of 22lr isnt sufficient for me. I thought if this was reliable, 30 rounds of 22mag would be a far better option. For me and her its not a defense option. I truly believe the issues with this firearm are magazine related. Rim lock is definitely an issue. Loading the mags needs to be done a certain way to eliminate this issue. I carefully load the mags each time. I can only get about 95% efficiency with this gun so therefore relegated to range fun. If that’s the only reason you want it, I say go for it. But if you are thinking of buying this for personal defense, i personally say, look elsewhere.
Heres a pic of mine.

6 Likes

I have one and there are definate issues with the magazines. The mag catch on some are just slightly to high causing the mags to sag just a bit. If yours is like this you can run a fine bead of superglue or epoxy of your choice under the mag catch and it will lock up much tighter and run much more reliable. At least this has worked for me

4 Likes

Agreed. I did this to mine as well and it did help

2 Likes

The only problem I have had with mine is when someone else was helping reload magazines and didn’t understand what you needed to do every 5-10 rounds…

2 Likes

Thanks for all your input on the gun I still think it’s a good choice also have been checking out older used one and new 2018 fresh out the box looks like they made small changes so think it we’ll be my next gun purchase

2 Likes

The mother in laws’ old iPhone gave up the ghost and Sprint didn’t want it back, so we did a Demolition Ranch on it. Shot it up with my PMR-30.

8 Likes

was she holding it at the time :joy: :joy: :joy:

6 Likes

No, but with some the antics that she has pulled lately… Well never mind… :zipper_mouth_face:

8 Likes

I have the pmr30 and the cmr30. I found Aguila ammo is junk. In one box of 50 I had 6 rounds come apart and leave the shell casing sleeve in the barrel. Switched over to CCI and have had no issue with the both guns. IMG_20181129_111351977%20(640x252)

10 Likes

Ive been using the Armscore 40 grain from AMMO Supply WhareHouse for years or the Hornady 45 grain home defense stuff No Problem’s with Either.
And yes the Aquila is Junk Along with the Wolf Ammo, I used it once in the Subbie Never again.

6 Likes

I have had blow back issues with the PMR. The magazines can be troublesome, but I found that as long as you load an even number of rounds into the magazine it will feed better. I don’t know why it does that but when ever I load uneven numbers of rounds the magazines jam. I also use WD40 dry lubricant spray in the Magazines and that helps with any feed issues.

4 Likes

Never gave any thought to the odd/even number of rounds in the magazine. I may check that out!! :+1:

3 Likes

@Partsed Even numbers of 5 and top round must be on left hand side of magazine, I use the above Hornady One shot case lube,

6 Likes

I will check my magazines right now!!! (Sound of iPhone hitting the floor)…

5 Likes

They are all loaded so the first round is on the left side.

4 Likes

KEL-TEC PMR30 Stainless Steel Feed Ramp Anyone!?

13 Likes

@ChrisNelson Ya got me all Excited ! went to Home Base and it was not There’ :rofl:
Count me in For One, Looks good !!

5 Likes

For those interested, my PMR-30 was sweet coming out of the box, but within 20 rounds, the front sight literally came off. Not a major problem - my armorer put it back on and tightened it down (he did it by eye and it was perfectly sighted in). Cool, so I shot it some more and had several failure to extracts which isn’t too uncommon for a brand new gun. Then BANG. A round fired out of battery. I don’t care if people say that can’t happen, I have pictures and the RO witnessed it.

Since I bought it there and it was brand new, the LGS took care of sending it to Kel Tek and they didn’t squawk, they replaced the extractors and springs, the barrel, the feed ramp, and one of the magazines. Apparently there was a batch that had this issue - I saw lots of comments on the internet - but since they fixed it, I’ve had no problems. Except (you knew there’d be an “except”)…

I bought the M*Carbo magazine loader and it does make it easier, but I had multiple misfeeds per magazine. When I noticed it, I unloaded both mags, loaded one all the way by hand and the other with the loader. The hand-loaded had no misfeeds, the loader did. Emptied both mags and swapped which was hand-loaded and which I used the loader and again, that loader one had misfeeds. I’ll just continue hand-loading magazines.

BTW - I usually only load 25 rounds per mag (50 per box so one box loads two mags with no partial boxes). I don’t like how tight these - or any - mags get when there are too many rounds in it. Whether the first round was on the left or not has never mattered, and it’s only picky on ammo in that it wants jacketed rounds - soft-noses have more misfeeds.

Like @d.kaufman2154 I thought this would make a good defensive gun for my wife because .22WMR is a hot round, it’s LOUD, there’s little recoil, it’s accurate as hell, and with that many rounds in the magazine you just keep shooting until the threat is ended. Unfortunately, its misfeeds are the most difficult and time consuming f’ups to clear in a stressful situation, and I won’t trust my wife’s life to a “probably it’ll work” gun. She’s comfortable with her SR-22 and it goes bang every time.

@ChrisNelson have you noticed a marked decrease in failure to feeds with the stainless feed ramp? Do you need testers or is it ready to go into production?

8 Likes