M*CARBO Brotherhood

PMR-30 feed ramp

This is my first ever attempt at polishing…anything. Thank you so much @ChrisNelson for propping up my intestinal fortitude to take on such a project with your fantastic, detailed instructional videos!! I see a lot of tiny mirror finish metal pieces in the near future.
So, my question to the Brotherhood is: Is this good, or should I keep working on it?

9 Likes

Looks great to me @Shelby! Saw the same video. Me thinks Chris’ OCD kicked in during filming… perhaps a little overkill.

5 Likes

Looks perfect to me, great job!

3 Likes

I am cursed with impatience and decided it was good enough to install. :smile:

The flat trigger install was a breeze and I got the set screws dead on on my first try. Almost 0 creep, clean break and a positive reset.

Raised and recessed mag release went in easy and seems to work great!

I got the extra power springs installed and promptly shot the guide rod retaining wire across the room, never to be heard from again. I cut a length of the old outer spring off and used it as a retaining wire. So far so good. I will let you know how the test shoot goes tomorrow. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Ok. The PMR jammed on the first and second shots. It fired 3 shots great then failed to strip the next 3 rounds from the mag. I replaced the inner M*CARBO spring with the factory spring, reassembled the pistol and now the slide is stuck on the receiver. I can’t pull it back and I can only move it about 3/4ths of an inch to the front (to remove it). It is now a REALLY expensive paperweight. What did I do wrong and how do I get the slide off? I KNOW FOR A FACT THE PISTOL IS NOT LOADED. The hammer is dropped on an empty chamber. Need some help here, Brothers.

3 Likes

@Shelby

I feel your pain my friend. I am not familiar with this pistol and am by no means a gunsmith. I looked on the web and YouTube for about 45 minutes for some info. What I can advise is to slow down. Easy now. No banging or hammering until you get more information. Make some calls, read, search, think. No hurry now.

3 Likes

I haven’t messed with the pistol since it seized. All I can think of is that somehow the guide rod slipped out of the track and is sitting on the locking lug. Is it possible to take the lower apart while the slide is in place without destroying the gun?

2 Likes

@Shelby Please Take some Pictures’ on This’ Did the Slide lock Knob Fall Off I had this Problem, Spring still attached with c clip to Guide Rod and spring.
Just a Thought.

Hey Tony, Nothing to take a picture of, really. The pistol appears perfectly normal. No outward sign of any malfunction. @DivaMarie

1 Like

@Shelby I know we are all learning here at your expense… but please continue to update your progress. We all find these issues to be both interesting and informative. Hang in there my friend, it will be solved. :+1:

1 Like

Like others have said, wish I could help. I feel like I remember some of the brothers saying they had PMR’s in some older threads. As well, if they’re on here they probably have some of the MCARBO mods installed which could help. May be worth it to search the forums and hit them with a PM linking to your issue here. Hope you get it sorted.

@chilipepper, @TexasEskimo, @DivaMarie Ok. Problem solved, and I bet the pistol runs like a champ when I test it tomorrow!
First, yes, you can take a seized slide off the pistol by CARFULLY separating the 2 halves of the lower receiver. Just take out the hex bolts and start easing the pistol apart while gently shaking it upside down. The slide will get looser and looser and then drop off the lower. I did this over a pillow. that was exactly what I expected it to do.
Second. The slide lock had slipped off the boss molded into the left side of the lower. This was not the cause of my problems, however.
I knew I had to have done something wrong in my reassembly, and I was right about that, too. I put the “top hat” (for lack of a better name) on the guide rod on upside down and it was causing the guide rod to bind at the muzzle end of the slide.
I flipped it over, reinstalled the retaining wire and she cycles smooth as silk. I think it will be a successful test shoot in the morning. :grin: :+1: :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Excellent news! Glad you got it sorted. I’m guessing the next time you field strip her you’ll be paying extra attention to that guide rod subassembly, eh? :grinning:

3 Likes

@chilipepper God willing, I’ll never have to take the guide rod assembly completely apart again. That goes way beyond routine maintenance and cleaning on this pistol. :grin: :grin: :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

@Shelby Thank you for the informative update. Great perseverance on your part… now you can sleep better at night! Or, just even just sleep again. Lol. :+1:

3 Likes

@Shelby Nice Job’ :+1: :+1: And having the Patience to Step back and Count to (10) and then to attack the Issue’ (Complaint, Cause, Repair)
As far as to the Retaining clip on the Slide Springs’ I launched mine into Hyper Space! :poop: :poop: :poop: Never did find it! :roll_eyes: Made One out of the Loop of a Safety Pin’ :smile:
Now all you have to do is find blocks of 500 22mag Cheap and Enjoy it.

3 Likes