M*CARBO Brotherhood

Play between two halves!?

All Things SUB-2000! Ok so I have a quick question! Just recently I’ve noticed a slight amount of play between the two halves of my Sub and it very well was probably like that when I got it! But just didnt notice it! It’s like there is a slight amount of play in the catch its self! I was wondering if anyone else noticed the same thing? If this was a normal thing? Also if the Mcarbo lever would maybe fix that? It’s got about 1200rds though it! Thanks in advance

4 Likes
3 Likes

Yep mine does the same thing and its pretty much bone stock! No internal upgrades yet! I sent an email to Keltec and I’m just waiting for a response!

3 Likes

By no stretch of the imagination am I anything resembling an expert, so I can just give my experience. When I first bought the s2k it was very tight between the two halves as well as the other moving parts. As I have used it and taken it apart several times it has noticeably loosened up. I don’t have any problem at all with mine. It is a $350+ rifle. haha

4 Likes

Yes, you are correct, it is a $350 rifle. However, you might notice by inspecting the construction of the firearm that when locked into a usable configuration, the breech face/rear of chamber is created by the back half of the firearm. It would seem that play in this area would lead directly to slop in the chamber, and the resulting “hammer” effect created by repeated firing of rounds in a sloppy chamber would have the potential to create additional and possibly unintended stress on other aspects of the firearm…maybe the hinge, the polymer locking lug and where the barrel is set into the polymer hinge block. Inspecting the photos recently posted in this thread by @Miracledrugbust, the location and type of cracking seen might suggest this could be an issue, no?

I’m certainly no firearm engineer but it seems to me a sloppy chamber that allows for additional movement of a round as it is firing off might not be such a good thing. As well, any play in the lock up would seem to have the potential to affect accuracy given the barrel would have a tendency to flip up independently of the rest of the firearm. Just my $0.02.

8 Likes

Ok I just got off the phone with Keltec and they said that a little bit of play between the two halves is normal! So that makes me feel better and it’s time to start shooting! Mcarbo expect an order coming your way in the next week!

2 Likes

My Gen 1 is at over 4000 rnd count. still tight and solid. the Gen 2 i picked up used, is over my 2000 rnd count now. I have maybe.0015 movement if that. the gen 1 is completely upgraded, gen 2 just hit the round count to upgrade. plus all my spare cash was going on the KAK twins… :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

It must be a Gen 2 thing cause that’s about the amount of movement mine has!

2 Likes

Just a pet hypothesis, but …

I will not run a sling on the sub or any of my breakdown rifles. I load a 2 point pretty good when stabilizing my shots.

So, I wonder how much of that wobble might point back to sling use.

FWIW, I recognize that a single point eliminates that issue. But I don’t know how to stabilize with a single point so I don’t use’m.

2 Likes

Single points can be nut wreckers also! :flushed:

1 Like

https://www.facebook.com/GunAccessories/videos/10154344259546936/

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/8Q1nvIoeiFY the sling part is about midway or a little past! It really looks like a nice setup! Pretty similar to the video you have!

2 Likes