M*CARBO Brotherhood

Plastic collar vs metal collar

can you remove the plastic collar on a sub 2000 gen 2 and screw on the metal collar? will it mess up the receiver or can i just tighten down the metal threaded collar where the plastic collar was/is?

4 Likes

No, they’re different sizes. On my gen 1 I screwed on a standard AR castle nut instead of the hokey collar that must be glued. I don’t know if it would work on a gen 2 or if you’d need to mod the end of the handgrip. Technically, the screws are what hold the grip halves together and I’ve shot mine without it, but Keltec is so stingy they wouldn’t put something on the firearm that added one penny of extra cost to them, so I wouldn’t use the S2k long without something there.

6 Likes

thank you so much! i’ll order the castle nut today and you’re right, kel tec are so cheap that i hear squeaks

3 Likes

it doesn’t work on the gen 2 plastic collar - i could remove the plastic collar and try to screw the castle nut on? how would i mod the end of the hand grip?

3 Likes

Like I said, I didn’'t know if an AR castle nut would work on a gen2. I haven’t worked on one so I can’t answer your question about modding it. You can always buy the grip halves from Kel-tec for $50 to test your ideas.

Is there a specific reason you want to do away with the polymer collar? Is it loose/coming off/broken? A replacement should be covered under warranty but they also sell them for $7.25.

Be aware any mods you make would have to be reversed if warranty work was required. There definitely should be something holding the back of the grips together - there’s really nothing else supporting the tube - the closest support is the screw behind the hammer and sear.

Any of the brothers have ideas on a substitute?

3 Likes

thank you for your input!

3 Likes

The gen 1 nut is a larger internal circumference than the gen 2. I accidentally bought both gen nuts for my gen 2 with a plastic collar. The gen 1 probably would have went on with minimal material removal but i ended up sanding down more to fit the gen 2 metal nut but I’m ok with that because the tool grooves allowed for better engagement to put on or remove.

3 Likes

mine was finger loose when i bought it…just fyi

1 Like