M*CARBO Brotherhood

Pistol Range Design

I have a fairly decent ridge line on my property that I was thinking about digging in to so I can create my own pistol range. Anyone here ever build your own? Was thinking of getting some front end loader/dozer work done to create it, and maybe put some railroad ties in there as support. Suggestions?

5 Likes

I’m your huckleberry…

3 Likes

And don’t use railroad ties, within a year or two of shooting they will be highly flammable kindling.

Go with an organic matting material if you can. Or large concrete blocks that you pile your fill dirt in front of to create your impact zone.

5 Likes

I highly recommend these. Simple to use and a well designed backstop is also easy to mine for lead.

6 Likes

Great idea! Awesome tip!

4 Likes

Great thing about the concrete is it’s really easy to put in place will hold back your hillside, and create a safe impact zone. Bullets will not ricochet off of it, at worst the will just carve out chunks, but it will stop any caliber short of large artillery.

Stack the blocks in an elongated “U-shape” and fill in sand to create your impact zone. (The sand will slide, you will end up with a graduated slope about 4 yards in front of your blocks at the base.

4 Likes

Any idea how much it runs per block?

3 Likes

Look for used blocks from highway construction.

New costs as much as $350 per block. I heard of used ones going for as low as $50 if you can pick it up and move it. A single barrier block weighs 2 tons.

Don’t stack blocks more than three high.

You can make a really nice pistol range with about 13 blocks.

5 Likes

Appreciate that info!

4 Likes

@TexasVet I cannot address your backstop and berm specifically, but see these posts for a breakdown range setup I built for our farm. It now has many months of use and has worked out great.

6 Likes

@TexasVet one caution though…stay away from tires! Folks will offer them to you for free (thats because it cost $3 per tire to dispose of) and I cannot tell you the pain of a berm fire that is made up of mostly tires.

Don’t. Just don’t. Go with concrete and fill, it is so much cheaper over the long term!

5 Likes

Will do! Yeah, not interested in tires at all!

4 Likes

You know with the prices of lead these days, a properly designed impact zone will pay for itself in a few years.

You would be shocked what the lead miners pay us! :scream:

5 Likes

doesn’t the NRA offer something for range design?

6 Likes
5 Likes

They sure do…an online course for $300! :imp:

The NRA never misses an opportunity to make some cash. :thinking:

7 Likes

think that was their biggest failing John, went from a defender of the 2nd amendment in the early days, to seems like the institution and a total cash cow after 1994.

to me an its just my opinion now, they forgot whar they come from.

6 Likes

@GOBLIN it has been that way since La Pierre took over in 1991. He has turned the NRA into a giant fundraising [scam?] organization. I see the quality of their training decreasing to the point were I am recommending to our board that we no longer use them to train our range officers.

I am still a card carrying member, but other organizations get my $$!

6 Likes

I have a 100 yd range on my farm. I plan to add a few steel plates and some spinning targets. I can set my target from 25 to 100 yrds. I use the 25 for my pistol range. I just built a new table to use for my gun rests. I will have a range with many targets for pistol and 22 lr. I have been waiting for cool weather to finish my metal plates. It’s too hot to shoot or build a range now

9 Likes

I plann to build a course like Hickock45 shoots on. I’m working on putting 6 metal plates up. I have a 30 x 16 piece of 1/2 steal. One of my friends is going to cut it for me. I built a good shooting bench with some old framimg lumber. Its heavy but it’s very stable. I hope to get my 2 inch pvc in place soon. I will use them to hold my target stands up. I think a 10 to 12 inch piece will be plenty deep. Put them at 25/50/75 & 100 yards. I’ll add more types of target as I can. It will be like a sporting clays course for pistols.

6 Likes