M*CARBO Brotherhood

PC9 and PMAG Problems?

Has anyone had problems with PMAG magazines? I have my carbine set up for Glock mags. I bought a couple of 27 round PMAGs for my carbine because the factory Glock big sticks were not available at the time. I’ve had numerous problems with them that I do not have with the factory Glock 17 round mags. They don’t happen consistently but they happen enough that it make me leery of using them. They have been:

Failure to feed. A bullet gets hung on the feed ramp.
Failure to lock the bolt back on an empty mag.
Failure to fire (the bolt looks to be completely in battery. I pull the trigger and hear kinda a “boing” sound like a spring makes. Nothing happens. I drop the mag, rack the bolt, the unfired cartridge is ejected, there is no primer strike, I put it back in the mag, reinsert the mag, drop the bolt and it fires this time when the trigger is pulled).
Failure to fire (the bolt looks to be completely in battery. I try to pull the trigger but it feels like it is locked and won’t move. I drop the mag, rack the bolt, the unfired cartridge is ejected, I put it back in the mag, reinsert the mag, drop the bolt and it fires this time when the trigger is pulled).

This seems to me like magazine driven problems. I’m going back out tomorrow and and will put a couple hundred rounds through it using the factory Glock 17 round magazines just to make sure they work well. My gun is not stock. I have installed the MCarbo flat trigger and shock buffer. But, I don’t think that is the problem.

4 Likes

In my experience, non Glock mags have been at issue too many times, I just don’t use them.

Get some Glock Happy sticks whilst you can.

7 Likes

I’ve had good luck with ETS mags. I’ve got two 31-round and one 40 round (9mm Glock 17 style) and haven’t had any problems.

4 Likes

Can’t say I have, and I run a mix of some Glock and mostly Magpul PMAG (10 and 15 rounders). I did have some issues with two ProMag brand mags initially (at least one 30+ rounder). I think the springs were too strong, but as I no longer use them it isn’t an issue.

2 Likes

Left loaded they swell over time… I plan on dumping the 2 I have at the next gun show.

3 Likes

I haven’t had them long enough to see that, but I don’t leave my mags loaded except for the ready guns, and I swap those around every month or so.

4 Likes

Yeah… when I loaded the PMAGs it looked like they were swelling a bit. They also don’t have metal feed lips.

1 Like

Are we talking about the same mags? I took @Wyo 's comment to mean his ETS mags swelled. The PMag Glock 17 mag that came with my Sub2K has worked flawlessly with no swelling in it after almost a year being fully loaded at all times.

The shorter ones in both seem to be ok but 25s and up swell on both.

1 Like

If you’re talking about the ETS mags, I only use them at the range. For-real-Glock-mags and fun sticks are reliable and are all I use in the ready guns so it should be okay. Didn’t know that about ETS - I don’t think I saw anyone mention it here, so thanks for the info.

3 Likes

Yes. I think you are correct phuzzy42. I think he was referencing ETS mag. I was talking about the 27 round PMAGS though. They did seem to distort towards the end of a full load. I could be mistaken.

1 Like

Just an update. I went out with several Glock factory 17 round mags today and shot 100 rounds. No failures at all. I’ll be sending the PMAGs back from whence they came.

2 Likes

I had Pmags just a few and folks I shot with had the ETS Both Swelled over time particularly in the summer heat. To the point they were noticeably tight. FTFs got common with them. I do have a 15 and a 12 round P mag that is OK.

I am looking to get rid of the large cap ones and I replaced those few with some Glock happy sticks that were on sale at the time… 25.00 from brownells with disc. I had to settle for OD colored as those were the sale ones at the time.
I think I have 5 happy sticks… trouble is the ammo is now worth more than the mags :scream:

2 Likes

Hi Jimmy - Same problem this wednesday. Glock Mag 17 works fine. 33 none glock mag - problems mentioned above. Trying ETS mags this weekend. I’ll advise. But certainly trending towards returning.