M*CARBO Brotherhood

PC Carbine Bolt Problem

Morning - I have a PC Carbine and went to the range for the fourth time. I changed the mag release and charging handle. Not sure if its the cause - but my 33 round magazine kept falling out, and eventually the bolt would only open half way. I don’t think the change was the cause but just giving the facts. Got home disassembled and noticed the bolt top assembly doesn’t ‘seem’ to sit back enough. Any way went a head and changed the trigger, trigger pins, and extractor pin.

Problem still there, but noticed if i shake the gun and or fiddle with the charger bolt movement, the bolt will go all the way back.

I’ll head to Ruger site, but thought someone would have a solution here. Thanks Alan

2 Likes

I think i got it. After reading through form - i dissembled the receiver from butt stock. Charging handle worked fine - i was able to pull it all the way back. Put it back together (partially - didn’t tighten screws) and couldn’t bring the charging handle all the way back. The glock adapter appears to get out of alignment.

Is the solution bending the little arm down on the top of the mag well?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @alandchapman

Bending the ejector arm is covered here:

Ruger PCC 9mm stove piping with glock magazines

A picture of your bolt assembly would help.

Which model PCC9 do you have and have you tried the Ruger Mag/Adapter?

The Bolt Head Retaining Pins (Part #75) May have not been seated all the way when you worked on it.

1 Like

Thanks.

I have PCC9 19100.

This occurred before putting in the new pins - forth time to range since purchase - only change was the charging handle and the mag release - the store swapped out the adapter, so i bought it with the glock adapter in.

I didn’t think of swapping because i’m invested in the glock adapter as i have a glock gen 5 34. so i have many mags for the ruger and glock.

Since i was investigating the sudden cause of the bolt not opening all the way and then cleaning it - i thought adding in the MCARBO parts might help. So i don’t think its those.

But i think its the mag well because it works well before assembly. Once i put back the bolt assembly in to receiver - all good. Once i put the receiver into the bump stock - it works then it doesn’t. The bolt gets caught on the hook - i think.

First set of pictures shows where the charging handle gets caught - last one.

Second set is the bolt assembly.

Pictures coming in two separate emails

ac

MountainHunter
August 9

Welcome to the forum @alandchapman

Bending the ejector arm is covered here:

Ruger PCC 9mm stove piping with glock magazines

A picture of your bolt assembly would help.

Which model PCC9 do you have and have you tried the Ruger Mag/Adapter?

The Bolt Head Retaining Pins (Part #75) May have not been seated all the way when you worked on it.

1 Like

2 Likes

3 Likes

@alandchapman If the Ejector in the Glock Mag Well Adapter is bent upwards too much, it will definitely stop or hinder the bolt. It will catch between the removable bolt head and the bolt.

You should see wear evidence on the bottom of the bolt…depending on how many rounds you’ve fired so far.

Compare the angle to the Ruger Mag Well Adapter.

If it is touching the bottom of the bolt…bend a hook down like this…

2 Likes
  • Is the charging handle rubbing on the stock? Any wear on either?
  • Does rotating the charging handle before tightening it make a difference, like maybe it’s out-of-round and rubbing on the stock?
  • Does unscrewing the stock a little allow the charging handle to pull the bolt back all the way?
  • Will the bolt pull all the way back when the receiver is out of the stock?
  • Does switching the charging handle to the left side make a difference?
  • Will the bolt go far enough back to cock the hammer?
  • Will the hammer cock by hand when the trigger group is removed?
  • Does the buffer (part #78) sit completely into its slot in the receiver so the guide rod isn’t at an angle and the trigger group lines up so the pins (parts #84) go in easily?

Obviously something is either blocking or rubbing the parts that move.

2 Likes
  1. No
  2. No
  3. not sure - I don’t think i tried
  4. Yes
  5. Didn’t try
  6. Yes
  7. yes
  8. I think so - every re-assemble easily and all components were tested before putting it back together.
    ac
phuzzy42 Regular
August 9
  • Is the charging handle rubbing on the stock? Any wear on either?
  • Does rotating the charging handle before tightening it make a difference, like maybe it’s out-of-round and rubbing on the stock?
  • Does unscrewing the stock a little allow the charging handle to pull the bolt back all the way?
  • Will the bolt pull all the way back when the receiver is out of the stock?
  • Does switching the charging handle to the left side make a difference?
  • Will the bolt go far enough back to cock the hammer?
  • Will the hammer cock by hand when the trigger group is removed?
  • Does the buffer (part #78) sit completely into its slot in the receiver so the guide rod isn’t at an angle and the trigger group lines up so the pins (parts #84) go in easily?

Obviously something is either blocking or rubbing the parts that move.

2 Likes

Pre-assembles

2 Likes

You mention it made a noise and bumping it eventually let the bolt go back all the way. How far from being all the way back is the bolt when it stops? Far enough to be past the mag adapter? Have you tried jiggling the magazine when the bolt won’t go back? Also, you changed the mag release. Mis-assembled? Have you tried putting that back to stock to see if it solves the problem of the mag adapter moving? The mag release is what holds it in, and also your magazines were falling out.

1 Like

@alandchapman The ejector tip looks too high to me. You can also switch ejectors with the Ruger Mag Adapter to compare…look at them side by side to compare first…like the pic :eye: showed above.

1 Like

Half way - the set of pictures with my hand show where it stops. Jiggling - yes and sometimes that worked. Double checked the mag release with stock - same problem. ac

1 Like

Will try. Her it is when assembled.

2 Likes

The glock is in the back and the angle is higher. Isn’t it weird that it would begin happening only after four uses.

1 Like

Which one? We’re trying to figure if the problem’s in the mag well or further back. The first pic might be the mag well, the second almost certainly not because the bolt has already cleared it.

Probably the best thing to do would be to put the entire gun back to stock and change one part at a time until the problem recurs. We’re working with too many variables here.

I’m still thinking it might be the buffer not sitting completely in its slot. I have to use a screwdriver to push the top forward before mine sits in correctly.

Note how the guide rod angles up towards the buffer while sitting on the table in this pic? In the gun itself, if the buffer isn’t all the way in its slot the guide rod will angle down instead, and the back of the bolt may hit it before going all the way to the rear.

1 Like

Wow - much narrower spacing with the Ruger Mag.

1 Like

Also note the backward bend on the Glock adapter. There was a note a while back about not slamming Glock mags into the mag well because it can bend the ejector. Bending it back won’t hurt anything. Good luck.

3 Likes

I haven’t followed or read this entire thread yet, but the ejector tab on your Glock module is bent. I’ve never had issues with mine in 2500 rounds but don’t bang the mags in when charging the gun, it will bend the ejector tab. If bent enough, it could also cause an interference with the bolt. See @phuzzy42’s post just above. If you feel the need to bang mags in to get them to stay in, I would either look at the mag catch or the magazine itself. I would also recommend removing all custom parts and trying the gun again that way (in particular, that shock buffer). If all is well, then add the mod parts one by one, testing function after each. Some of this might have been covered by others already.

One last thing, make sure all screws are tight everywhere on the gun. Loosening of a couple of the screws, even in the slightest, can result in malfunctions in the gun. The PC Carbine does have a tendency to undo its own fasteners over time, a little VC3 on them should take care of that.

2 Likes

One good speed-slam up is all it takes. :face_with_monocle: :rage::rage::rage:

2 Likes