Pack up your troubles and smile smile smile

After learning KelTec will trade up a Gen 1 for a Gen 2, today I dug out my beat up .40 Sub 2000 and packed it up.

On the subject of caliber: I have been unwilling to part with my Glock 27 and Beretta 92 in .40. I got the .40 S2K used for cheap maybe ten years ago. It was in OK but not great shape when I got it. Even so, it ran reliably. It is ugly but I like it. The truth is though… I haven’t shot any of my .40 pistol or this sad S2k for probably close to a couple of years. I’ve been busy.

The irony in that is… on the note I inserted in the box, I asked KelTec to send another .40 back to me. Preferably OD green.

I can hear it already… WHAT? .40 is SO 90’s. I don’t care. I still like the 40 and even through its decline in popularity I still have a preference for .40 over 9mm +P. So I’m not exchanging this gun for a 9mm. The topic of .40 has been debated to death. There’s nothing more to say that hasn’t been said.

I’m keeping the Beretta and the Glock 27. And soon I’ll have an up to date, foldable carbine in that caliber that uses either Beretta or Glock mags via Multi-Mag. I have a fair amount of .40 ammo. End of story.

I’m excited about trading in the old beater and getting a new Sub 2000. I’ll probably MCarbo-ize the insides and bolt on some useful extras. Hopefully KelTec will fulfill the order quickly.

14 Likes

I still like the 40 and wish I had not traded my Shield.

5 Likes

My S&W TSW 4056 is the reason I bought my Sub2k. If anything, reloading is simple !
Caliber is up to personal preference, and mine is .40 and lots of it please !

5 Likes

I’m guessing the .40 is a more powerful load than the 9mm.
Where I’m going to ask is why it’s not recommended to fire 9mm + in the Gen2 SUB 2K. They are both built on the same platform, or maybe not?
Just a thought to ask.

2 Likes

Everyone hates my Glock 27. I like it just fine. I like having that little extra umph when I carry. And with a Lone Wolf conversion barrel, it shoots 9mm anyway. So what’s not to like? That being said, as I get older (50 now. Damn) I do find I like the 9mm better. Is it possible that .40 is just a younger man’s game?

5 Likes

Good to hear .40 is alive and well here. It hits like a freight train.

I never met a gun or ammo I didn’t like.

5 Likes

The simple answer is .40 has more powder propelling a heavier bullet at roughly the same pressure as 9mm. 9mm +P runs about 2500 psi higher than a ‘normal’ 9mm or .40. The higher pressure of +p is hard on a gun not designed for it. Premature wear, the factory springs aren’t rated for that, etc.

3 Likes

I met a lot of (ie. Every) pocket .380s i didnt like before i picked my p238. Wont mention names… but they weren’t the p238 :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thanks, so pressures are close.
I keep thinking the SUB2K could be built to handle 10mm rounds.
I like the lightweight folding et al design.
Just a thought I keep circling back to.
Cheers,

3 Likes

380’s in general… the guns lots of people love to hate. I get it. A lot of them were pretty anemic. Especially before the more recent, improved ammo became available.

I have a confession. I love small guns. Some of my first were old .25, .32 or 22 Short. Old, new. I don’t discriminate.

Quick story: My grandfather had a small ‘gentlemans’ farm in Illinois. No animals. Basically grew his his own food and plenty of it. My parents never had to shop for vegetables or fruit. I recall one summer sitting on his picnic bench under a plum tree. Eating fresh cucumber. He was sipping a glass of Ruffino and delivering a lecture about how if you let rabbits eat your garden, they get fat and you go hungry. Thinking back, I’m pretty sure it was a metaphor for politicians and rich people.

Then he took a cheap .25 automatic out of his pocket and shot a rabbit at what I would guess was about 15 yards or so. One shot. His second lecture was how to skin a rabbit. I was six years old.

So impressed by this experience, I told my mother all about it that evening. She was pissed beyond belief. Then Dad got a lecture.

So I guess that’s why I like small pistols. And I practice enough to shoot 'em like a boss.

4 Likes

For something that hits hard like a 10mm in a small package… Would you consider an AK pistol with a folding brace? The gun is comparatively cheap and famously reliable as everybody knows. With a hinged brace the AK pistol is the same size as the S2K when folded.

Personally, I haven’t seen any 10mm takedowns or folders. Not yet anyway. I’d also like to see some in 5.7.

A 7.62x39 bullet at 2600 fps has a lot more stopping power than a 9mm diameter bullet at 1000 feet per second. The. 40 is typically a little bit less than 9mm in terns of velocity. But not much.

3 Likes

We need more 10mm options

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback folks.
It’s a restricted, non-restricted thing. Handguns are restricted and a lot of rules and restrictions, courses, registration, the list goes on.
Just plain easier to stay in the non-restricted category.
Thus the reason I asked.

2 Likes

My Mechtech 10mm Carbine upper packs small.

4 Likes

No go, in Canada is considered a restricted firearm.

1 Like

LMBO - 'cause a Mechtech is not a firearm. So, the 16" barrel ain’t proud enough I expect.

2 Likes

@Dred
The barrel length is the 1st issue for sure.
That ist’s a modified handgun probably second.
It’s to bad, I like it’s design. It would have been suitable for sure.
Cheers,

2 Likes

Where can I learn more about the sub2000 “trade up”?
Thanks

1 Like

1 Like