+P Ammo In Sub2k?

To me that’s the rhino in the room

I get why a MFR says no to it when they’re giving ya a lifetime warranty

But I am wondering what people’s actual experience shooting it is

Those near 357 ballistic stats are impressive, but that’s with +p rounds

7 Likes

We are already getting a pretty good increase in velocity just by virtue of the 16 inch barrel in the Sub2K vs the 3-5 inch barrels typical of the handguns we are carrying. If shooters are concerned about pushing the envelope too far, then go in a different direction, use lighter faster rounds and avoid any excessive chamber pressures. Not that I believe there is a serious danger of the gun exploding, but hot rounds are harder on the action and can shorten the life of some critical parts. I am going to be testing out some Interceptor ARX rounds in both my 40cal, Glock 27 and my Sub2k. They are 88gr. and listed at 1420fps out of a 4 inch barrel. I also got some in .45 cal 112gr. at 1350fps. That’s going to be interesting in my Sig 1911.

7 Likes

I ran a few mags of Federal HST 124gr +p through mine to check for function because that’s what I carry in my Glock 9mms. No problems, but I wouldn’t make a steady diet of it. Too expensive anyway.

6 Likes

Thanks for the detail. I hear you on the lighter round. Still, I’m impressed by the foot pounds of 147 grain 9mm +p generates

I was sooo tempted by the 40 cal sub ballistic

4 Likes

I just run cheap ball through mine on the range. However, I have Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr 9mm +P in magazines that I hope I never use for self-defense. I’ve run a couple of magazines through it to check for gun and magazine function and am not at all worried about it. It still eats cheap ball like a starving hyena.

5 Likes

Thanks for confirming, that’s the same reason why I would as well.

3 Likes

Hey Al … I’ve heard that the critical duty +p is one of the softer +p rounds out there. If you agree with that, might be a good solution for Sub and carry gun. You’re probably already aware but the FBI choose this round

And hey … Off topic but look how much you’ve come out of the closet posting wise!

5 Likes

What about firing Liberty Civil Defense ammo 50gr 9mm+P 2000 fps , 450 FPE, 2" dispersion @ 25m, 12" penetration @ 10ft Was able to get my hands on one box but haven’t fired any yet.

5 Likes

I’d run the Liberty Defense. It actually has a reduced recoil impulse based on my limited experience with the 40 offering. The recoil impulse was reported to me by a retired LEO friend I connected with this load so he could complete his qualification following a hand surgery.

3 Likes

If it’s already going out at 2000 fps in a handgun it may be a little too fast out of a 16 in. barrel. Excessive speed beyond what a round was designed for may cause it to fragment on impact and not achieve the optimum penetration level. But, the proof is in the testing. Give it a try.

4 Likes

@djaecks

Welcome to the MCarbo Brotherhood, Dennis!

1 Like

Called Keltec directly. Told them it wasn’t listed in owners manual like it always should be. Told me regular and +P ONLY, just like the Glock 19 I own. Never use +P+ In Keltec Sub 2000 or any Glock, as +P+ is greater or less than +P. You will never know exactly what that +P+ pressure is.

Two thumbs up on this post!! I would go easy on any personal protection firearm when it comes to practice (there is no reason to beat it up with hot stuff during practice), however, I would make make sure the firearm was reliable with carry ammo, especially hot stuff . I am confident that if the steady diet of practice ammo is low bullet weight range ammo, you are doing the best you can to have the firearm live a long life.

2 Likes

I watched a Youtube video by a guy claiming 1500 rounds through is Sub 2K and show internally how the plastic in the handgrips just couldn’t handle that volume. Of course, you have to take his word for the part about 1500 rounds, but I can’t imagine how +P ammo wouldn’t shorten the life of the rifle’s polymer grip set.

1 Like