M*CARBO Brotherhood

OVER bored. BORE! return,or not to return...?

Calipers for novice.digital or dial?-

2 Likes

Dog gone this STUPID PHONE😱 I got a taurus 9mm 1911 commander back in AUG,and the accuaracy stinks.i mic’d the barrel and loh&behold,it’s a .356" bore!(I have 3 other 9s that measure .354) so taraus says send it BACK.am I wasting my time?-just to have them tell me it’s within THEY’RE TOLERANCE…?(115grn-.355" 124grn+ .356"…)

4 Likes

This is a good cheaper option.

INSIZE 1108-150 Electronic Caliper, 0" - 6" https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0191UUWKC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_i4KWFb17NJ6E5

Insize makes decent measuring tools for the money. I buy oddball stuff from them for work. I normally use Mitutoyo or Starrett but they are a lot more money.

As far as the bore, send it back and see what they say. I had good luck with them fixing the FTF on a PT111 I have.

3 Likes

@Lurch Digital Used them years,as a Wrench,Especially when
the Eyes start to go South with all them lines. :laughing:

3 Likes

This is one instance I’d go digital.

4 Likes

if they offered an RMA, send it back, there may be more wrong with it, like bad rifling groves.

5 Likes

Just because I like to check things out, I would put a squib in it (Primer, bullet, very little or no powder) fire it, knock the bullet out, instant barrel slug. Lead bullet would be best. Something to measure, check grooves/ lands, etc. Of course, I’m not recommending YOU do anything like that…

4 Likes

Ok…i understand 90% of that.lol…i fired I fired a PCam bronze 115 FMJ through milk jugs to obtain a bullet to send back(they request) a case.for what info that will glean.but the lands groves basicly CLEAN for about 25/30% the circumference of the bullet,the rest are BLACK(3 rounds fired from clean bore),Wich explains why I’m getting lead FOULING in 2 places?

2 Likes

The lands look like they were honed with a grain auger! I fear they will kick it back because I polished the feed ramp.wich has DICK to do with the bore,but you know…hell,it’s they’re dime,if they won’t honor a crappy barrel like THAT,I’ll toss it and fund an after market…cuz this dude is AWFUL!

3 Likes

LMAO…heard that. They scraped my cataracts of a few years ago and put new lenses on.but said sorry mate,nuttin we can do for “TIRED” eyes

3 Likes

Taurus had the same problem on the early TX22’s and replaced the barrels, no questions asked. Rifling was NOT centered and there were chatter marks. If you recovered bullets that are smooth on one side, that’s probably the cause. Go to 16:08 on the video:

The follow-up video is here:

5 Likes

with just about any barrel. About 25 rounds thru this snubby before it went back. Took a tad over 2 weeks start to finish for a replacement barrel and back in hand.

6 Likes

The lands are chattered(for the most part) like a pissed off squirrel honed the bore!(perhaps one of mountain hunters?!?)AT THE TIME,ididnt have sufficient rounds on hand to break it properly.HERE IS MY DELEMA. Well BEFORE I knew the bore was out of spec, I polished the feed ramp! THUS,
ARE THEY GOING TO VOID THE WARRANT ON ME??

2 Likes

I wouldn’t see why polishing the feed ramp would void a warranty

4 Likes

Per us law they have to prove that any modification you made actually caused the problem to void the warranty, but we all know most companies just ignore that because no one will actually spend thousands on a lawyer over a $100 barrel.

I know there’s some people here who love taurus, or atleadt their tauruses, but from working in a gun store and handling literally hundreds of them this thread does not suprise me at all. Seen too many issues and have not been impressed with fit/finish or parts fitment on the taurus pistols ive handled

4 Likes

Ditto that, on their revolvers finish not too bad but fit, trigger, cylinder gap, etc low compared to Smith, ruger, rossi, from my experience.

3 Likes

Fit and finish, esp the lock work on their revolvers, esp the lower end clones of j frames and stuff is super rough. And their triggers feel terrible compared even to modern production rugers and S&Ws, much less vintage production revolvers.

I’ve also seen a handful of their polymer frames revolvers fail catastrophically within a couple days of purchase shooting themselves out of timing or in one case literally falling apart.

That being said there is one taurus product that id like to acquire, a raging hornet revolver. Lock work on the 2 I have handled was much nicer than the average taurus that I’ve had my hands on.

5 Likes

I want a Hornet revolver also, almost thinking about a custom.
Problem is they are just a tad longer then 30 carbine or 44 mag so need to lengthen the frame as well as re barrel and cylinder. Could get pricey.
Other option you mention Raging Hornet, and then go through the whole thing.
Rather have a conventional sixgun then the tarus…

3 Likes

Unfortunately the raging hornets the only realistic option that I’ve seen for a 22 hornet revolver even if they are on the rare side, and not super fond the idea of throwing the kind of $ people want for one at a taurus.

4 Likes

Custom it is.
I have a Hamilton Bowen in 44 Mag, maybe get a little brother in 22H.

4 Likes