M*CARBO Brotherhood

Opinions Romanian AK vs MAK90

As the title says, what’s everyone’s opinions of either the Romanian WASR10 be the Norinko MAK90?

I have an opportunity to buy one or the other for $750 but can only choose one. I know some of the old timers like Buck will have extensive knowledge on them.

4 Likes

Recommend to check if it has stamped on the left side of the trigger “TAPCO USA G2”.

4 Likes

@SoNic It is marked on the trigger Tapco USA G2

5 Likes

My vote is for the WASR. Bore light down the barrel & check the rifling. Anything else can be easy fix.

4 Likes

Both bores look new. They are used but very low round count. Maybe 300 rounds max out of either rifle. The owner is meticulous when it comes to his guns, they both have been very well taken care of. It is a toss up which one I want and which is better.

5 Likes

Buy both, shoot both, keep the one you like best, sell the other. Easy peasy. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I wish he would let me buy both, I already tried and offered more money. Which ever I buy, the other is going to his son. I’m leaning towards the WASR, I’m not a huge fan of the thumb hole stock.

4 Likes

Brian ive owned both the wasr and mak90 over the years. The wasr is one of few guns i kick myself for trading off. But guy wanted it bad and traded me 3 sks rifles for it 2 chinese matching numbers and not forced matched either. And 3rd was a mix match yugo sks which i still have. I gave 625 for the wasr when i bought it years ago and trade was deffently to my advantage at time. But damn i miss that ak. It just worked flawlessly all the time no matter the ammo no matter if dirty or freshly cleaned it just ran and ran well. And i allways here people talking about how inaccurate the ak rifle is. I have allways been pleased with accuracy of the wasr and mak90. Of course its not a 20 inch heavy barrel bipod mounted target rifle. But for the job intended its perfect and with a good scope 100 yard tight groups are completely doable. But my opinion on which id choose out of the wasr vs mak90. Wasr would have my vote. I had near 5000 trouble free rounds before i traded her away.

6 Likes

That’s the good trigger.
I would not hesitate to get it at that price.

5 Likes

The thumb hole stock is an easy fix, Tapco stock. I wouldn’t want a thumbhole either. All these fixes can be done slowly as money/time allows. The Tapco G2 is a great trigger, just remember an AK is not a sniper rifle.

5 Likes

My Russian SKS is very accurate out to about 300 meters. After that, it’s a crap shoot. The AK is similar. I just bought a 7.62x39 16” upper from Bear Creek last Friday and it arrived 2 days later. I’m hoping to get out this weekend to shoot it. I couldn’t pass up the full upper with bcg and charging handle for $224

4 Likes

Bear creek is a local company here in nc. Ive used several of there uppers and have no problems per say. My 7.62x39 upper on my ar is bear creek. Works perfect with brass case ammo. But absolutely hates steel case and will not fire it reliable. That can be a problem and theres things you can do to fire the steel case rounds consistently but then could cause problems if firing brass case. Like filling the shoulder of firing pin a fraction to get touch more protrusion and heavy hammer spring to hit harder. But could cause a puncture on the softer more in spec boxer primer rounds. I use mine for my hunting rifle mostly so i use brass case with no issues. Using c-mag magazines. For there price point and the fact there american company making and selling in america. I would recommend bear creek to anyone looking for ar stuff.

4 Likes

Check the gas block - I have had several Bear Creek barrels, one is excellent and only cost 80 bucks on sale, the other 2 had to be sent back for bad/rough chambers, entirely wrong barrel sent, etc. The replacement barrels were what I would expect for cheap 5.56 barrels.

I’ve had to re-seat gas blocks on 2 of their uppers for other people. They tend to slap the block right up against the shoulder.

Bear Creek stuff is 50/50 for me so far.

2 Likes

I dont ever just throw a assembled upper on and fire. Assembled uppers allways get tore down everything checked and put back together. Even if i buy a brand new fully functional gun no matter high end company or cheaper they get tore completely down to parts everything gets cleaned sanded polished de burred. I dont trust quality control on anything. So everything gets my own hand finished touch to assure the best working firearm i can get. Ive used probably 8 or 9 bear creek uppers and havent had any problems. But by stripping down and going threw every piece and hand finishing everything i usually avoid any troubles from factory finished firearms.

2 Likes

Just like Dave, I don’t trust anyone when it comes to things going bang or boom. I check everything!

2 Likes

I’ve done OK with the WASR’s. They seem to hold up OK and although they aren’t the highest quality build they seem to be functional and reliable. My experiences with the MAK 90 comes down to long term use. I’ve had a few of them and it seems that the bolt and bolt carrier were pretty soft. 500 or so rounds and you could see mushrooming in the B/C guide slot as well as the lugs on the bolt. They always worked OK, but IMHO the long term life is suspect.

3 Likes

I chose the WASR 10 for that reason. The more I was researching the MAK90 the more it started to tell me to stay away from it.

3 Likes

I think youll be happy with the wasr Brian. Mine allways ate every kinda ammo i ran threw it. Cheapest steel crap to top shelf brass and everything in between. Theres very few guns i really regret trading off over the years. Id say the wasr would be at top of that short list. The damn thing just worked and worked well. Also the wood furniture looks nice but switch it with a good composite furniture set and it shaves pounds off overall weight.

3 Likes

Mine never saw brass let alone tasted it ! I’m not buying steak when it’s happy with hamburger.

2 Likes