M*CARBO Brotherhood

Opinion: .17 HMR or .22 WMR?

Interested to hear what the Brotherhood’s thoughts are on these two rounds and why you would choose one over the other. Seems like PPR is in the same ballpark (depending on locale availability, vendor and projectile weight). General opinions, factual information as well as personal anecdotes welcome.

4 Likes

@chilipepper only have 17HMR and it’s the most accurate round I’ve ever shot. Nasty little round :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Well here is my experience with both, YMMV on larger pest the .17 HMR was blowing up and left a severe, less then quickly lethal wound pocket of gouged out flesh but not deep enough, I deemed it unethical for anything over squirrel/rats etc… requires a special cleaning rod. Difficult to find this ammo in the best of times.

I don’t remember exact pricing or exactly when this was so my info may not reflect recent times and prices and certainly not now during the ammo Panic/Crisis…
.22 WMR works very well in a rifle/ not so much in a handgun/ Flash and poor performance out of short barrels.
The issues I have had with .22 WMR was price and availability Potential poor ignition though I honestly didn’t have a malf out of those I did shoot but rim fire is not as certain overall as is center fire esp if stored LT. I think the biggest thing was price, My Recollection was that it cost more than 9mm and not enough less then .223 at the time and it’s non reloadable… Obviously during the current panic I can’t do a good comparison but a quick check showed 20 cent to 30 cents per on ammoseek. How inflated that is I don’t know. but I seem to recall boxes of 50 over 10-12.00 in the best of times when I could find 9mm well under 10.00 a box of 50.

3 Likes

I don’t have any experience with .17 HMR.
I do have a Henry in .22 WMR and it is a tack driver.
I bought a bunch of Hornady ammunition and have never had an issue with it or the rifle.
Good little round IMHO.

4 Likes

Yeah Ok but what is it really good for that justifies the price for WMR over say a .22 LR Velociter or Stinger at > 1/2 the price? That you would not just use a 9mm PC on if it was too much for the .22LR premium rounds?

I just could not find a use case where it fit in that something else wasn’t far cheaper or far more capable for the same price or not that much more.

When I did my great caliber reduction plan it was one that I adios-ed as I really didn’t have a niche use-case for it.

2 Likes

Fun basically and improved ballistics.

2 Likes

Walmart still carries .22WMR MaxiMags at essentially the same prices as before - around 22¢/rd, sometimes cheaper. I bought 700 rounds (all they had in stock) in May for 16¢/rd. They also carry .17HMR but I don’t have a gun in that caliber so can’t tell you price. Rural King always has .17HMR too, but they’re often out of .22WMR.

2 Likes

If it matters to any one, when I help run the range for Texas LTC classes we don’t allow ether the 22WMR or the 17 HMR calipers to be used. The rounds are just too fast for the back stop, drives through the rubber blocks, hits the steel plates and come back. Not fun.
Tom

2 Likes

My lgs doesn’t have a problem with them. Maybe it’s how the range is designed - this is indoors and the steel back wall deflects bullets UP. They allow any pistol caliber including PCC’s.

Half the fun of the PMR-30 is the muzzle flash and the authoritative BANG. LOL

4 Likes

Appreciate all the feedback so far, seems opinions vary quite a bit on them. Probably good to add some additional info as to why I’m asking…

I have zero experience with either round, never shot 'em. I’ve finally gone back to my roots by purchasing a .22lr bolt gun, since no one in my family seems to know what the hell happened to the one I cut my teeth on so many years ago. Lost to the sands of time, I suppose. Anyway, my chosen surrogate is a CZ 457 Varmint model (due to arrive at my LGS this Friday) and I was surprised to discover it’s possible to easily swap barrels out (two set screws) on this gun and the options are .22 WMR and .17 HMR. The barrels aren’t bad for price and I thought I might consider grabbing one for a swap once I’ve had the gun for a bit. So that should give a little background…

I don’t shoot at indoor ranges, outdoor only and my home range has long gun berms from 50 to 500 yards. As far as I’m aware the only restriction on caliber is .50 BMG due to an incident some years back involving the engine block in a farmer’s tractor some two miles away…so I feel like I’m covered there…

I figured with the experience range we have here in the Brotherhood, this would be a solid place to start some real-world research into these two rimfire rounds. So far you have not disappointed. :grinning:

In the mean time I’ve got to select some glass for this bad boy…so many choices… :exploding_head:

3 Likes

@chilipepper I have a Henry Varmint in .17 HMR and it is the most accurate round I have ever fired. I have never had an issue finding ammo which seems to be priced about the same as .22 WMR.

1 Like

What distances have you shot it at? Hunting or just target shooting?

@chilipepper Just target shooting and have taken it out to 100 yards with iron sights. Just recently installed a Burris E1 Fullfield 2-7X on it but haven’t shot it with the optic.

1 Like

CCI has fantastic info on their site You can click on the top of the graphs to see range and energy etc.

.22WMR
https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/maxi-mag/6-24.html
22LR velociter:
https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/velocitor_hp/6-47.html

1 Like

The real answer is “Why not get both?”

7 Likes

…and there it is. Was wondering how long it was going to take before that one was posted. :grinning: That might just happen at some point the way things are going.

4 Likes

Realistically they are both cartridges filling the same niche and I don’t think theres much one will do the other will not looking at real world performance (esp effects on target) you can paper race it to death but a couple grains or a few fps isn’t going to make a massive difference in the intended use of cartridges, and if those numbers really matter to you you’d just end up throwing 5.55x45 instead of any of the rimfire stuff

3 Likes

About time!!

Excellent choice, can’t go wrong there.

There is, no doubt about that.
I’ve been partial to Nikon glass but since they’ve got out of the business I’m going to have to look for a substitute in the future. As @Chris19d said, the glass doesn’t have to be rimfire. I have a couple of rifles with Bushnell Banner scopes.
My Henry 22 Mag wears a vintage Weaver K4.
If you can find one they’re perfect for this application.

2 Likes

I was holding out hope the old girl would be found.

I had ordered the Pro Varmint but that didn’t work out in the end. Same guts with the Varmint, just more barrel and a Turkish walnut stock, less expensive as well…I can live with that.

Just as important is how I’m going to mount it. We shall see…

1 Like

The range is a purpose built 8 lane 15 yard semi indoor, 3 cinder block wall and a roof, the bullet stop is steel plate faced with compressed rubber blocks stacked together like legos. Can handle pistol calibers but not the smaller super fast stuff.
Tom