M*CARBO Brotherhood

Operator technique for the Safety

Good day. I’m new to the forum and the S2K (MCarbo M-series 9mm plus Sig Romeo 5) which I took to the range for the first time yesterday. Great fun!

First off, thanks to Chris for this great forum. I especially appreciate the “no religion, no politics” prohibition of Rule 1.

If this question has already been discussed please point me in the right direction; I couldn’t find anything.

Re-reading the manual after my time at the range, I determined that my safety appears to work as advertised in that the hammer must be cocked for the safety to fully engage. (I say “appears to work as advertised” because the button can be pushed in the safe direction with an empty mag and that does safe the gun but must be cocked in order to push the button all the way to the left and get the click.)

So my question then is - after the gun goes click on empty what is the recommended sequence of events?

Cock, engage safety, change mags?

Lock back charging handle, engage safety, change mags?

Change mags, chamber a round, engage safety (assuming not going to shoot some more immediately)?

And related question - Without a lock back feature, one won’t know if they are actually empty or had a misfire. How does that figure in, if it does?

8 Likes

Welcome to the Brotherhood, Mobike.

Usually when the magazine’s empty, I drop the mag and lock the bolt back to show an empty weapon, and it stays locked back until I load again or get ready to leave the range. Any gun not in my hand has the bolt or slide locked back and the magazine removed - basic range safety.

Ready to start shooting, insert a mag and slap the charging handle to chamber the round. If I stop shooting while still having rounds in the mag, drop the mag and lock the bolt back to eject the chambered round and show an empty weapon.

You can use or not use the safety as you choose, but with the bolt locked back and the mag removed, there’s no question the gun is unloaded

10 Likes

@Mobike

[quote=“Mobike, post:1, topic:8040”]
And related question - Without a lock back feature, one won’t know if they are actually empty or had a misfire. How does that figure in, if it does?
[/quote] If you haven’t kept track of the number of rounds fired, keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction for about 30 seconds in case of a hang fire. Then continue on with changing mags or ejecting the bad round.

8 Likes

@Mobike welcome to the forum

5 Likes

I usually drop the mag and lock the bolt back! That way its made safe! When I’m ready to shoot agian I throw mag in then reach over the top of the tube and push the charging lever with fingers and charge the gun! In places like competition when ready to shoot. You would put a mag in drop the charging handle and then push the safety button! When your done in comp you drop the mag then rack the round out and show safe. Then you flag the chamber and let the bolt down on the flag! Lol now that I’m typing this it sounds like alot but once you practice it’s a matter of seconds for the process and becomes second nature!

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies; you gave me several good things to think about I had not considered.

My training has all been for pistol (LE tactical) and, as the Sub 2k is for a PDW, I think of procedures along that line.

I think I will try things as follows to address both safety and empty/misfire conundrum -

Upon click but no bang with the intention to continue to shoot -

1. Lock the bolt back
  2. If a bullet came out when doing that, reach over the tube, charge the gun and shoot
  3. If nothing came out when locking the bolt back, drop and replace the mag, reach over the tube, charge the gun and shoot

If the intention is not to continue shooting (but potentially may shoot more), the procedure is the same except engage the safety as the final step. This can be modified to show an empty gun when appropriate. (I typically shoot alone on a LE range where the gun is either in hand or hanging in front of me on a sling.)

3 Likes

Yep sounds about right to me! Enjoy and welcome to the brotherhood!

2 Likes