On This Day - History.com

Wow. Never heard of that one. Thanks for the history tidbit!

3 Likes

Ah Yes ! :+1: Was taken Off the Old Breast Milk On that One ! :rofl:

5 Likes

Tony

It does bring back memories. I remember that song always keeping me and Nancy awake at the drive in theater. :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :wink:

I dang sure didn’t want to come dragging her home in the middle of the mourning and facing her dad (A former Marine). :scream:

Of course her mom didn’t think I was exactly a pillar of the community at 16 either. :roll_eyes:

Oh the good old days.
Larry :innocent:

4 Likes

1997: Cassini Probe is launched by NASA to explore Saturn and its moons.

2 Likes

1793: Marie Antoinette is executed

1859: John Brown begins his raid on Harper’s Ferry, Virginia

1903: Big Joe Williams is born

1923: The Walt Disney company is founded

1946: 10 guilty defendants are executed during the Nuremberg Trials

1946: Suzanne Somers is born

1962: President Kennedy is shown photos of Soviet missile systems being assembled/built in Cuba sparking the Cuban Missile Crisis.

1964: China detonates its first nuclear weapon

1978: Pope John Paul II becomes the first non-Italian pontiff since 1523

1995: The Skye Bridge is completed in Scotland

2 Likes

Still didn’t make up for the Loss of the Big ‘‘3’’ in the Plane Crash ! :laughing:
As far as to Meeting Dad I always found a good Firm Hand Shake and Looking them Straight in the Eyes’ Leveled the Ball Field of Intro’ :joy:

1 Like

Oct. 17th:

690: Wu Zetian becomes Empress of the Zhou Dynasty of China. She is the only legitimate female ruler in all of Chinese history.

1558: The Polish Postal Service is started

1604: Johannes Kepler first observes a supernova in the constellation Ophiuchus which later is given the name Kepler’s Supernova

1777: British General John Burgoyne surrenders at Saratoga, NY

1781: British General Charles Cornwallis surrenders the garrison at Yorktown, VA

1814: 8 people die in the London Beer Flood

1907: Marconi begins commercial wireless service across the Atlantic

1918: Rita Hayworth is born and later becomes the #1 “pin-up girl” for GIs during World War II.

1931: Alfonso Capone is convicted of tax evasion

1973: OPEC ministers begin internal discussions to use oil to influence the west’s support for Israel during the Yom Kippur war

1979: Mother Theresa is awarded the Nobel peace prize. Also, the US government creates the Department of Education.

1989: 6.9 magnitude Loma Prieta earthquake rocks the San Francisco Bay area.

2 Likes

October 18, 1867,

the U.S. formally takes possession of Alaska after purchasing the territory from Russia for $7.2 million, or less than two cents an acre.

Alaska became the 49th state on January 3, 1959, and is now recognized for its vast natural resources.

U.S. takes control of Puerto Rico

Only one year after Spain granted Puerto Rico self-rule, American troops raise the U.S. flag over the Caribbean nation, formalizing U.S. authority over the island’s one million inhabitants.

October 18, 1977

in the sixth game of the World Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers, New York Yankees outfielder Reggie Jackson hits three home runs in a row off of three consecutive pitches from three different pitchers.

4 Likes

1926: Chuck Berry was born

1939: Mike Ditka was born. Also, Lee Harvey Oswald was born.

1960: Jean-Claude Van Damme was born

2 Likes

Proving once again that commies are not only stupid, they aren’t really even people. My dad taught me that. Well, that, and trigger control.

3 Likes

Today 1969 The Temptations’ “[I Can’t Get Next To You” hits #1 for the first of two weeks.

1 Like

All the stuff my mother grew up listening to in Chicago. Temps, Tops, Platters and good old Smokey Robinson.

6 Likes

TO DAY October 22, 1967
The day after it hits #1 in the US, Lulu performs “[To Sir With Love” on The Ed Sullivan Show .

Nice peaceful afternoon scotch song :thinking: :thinking:

Larry :innocent:

2 Likes

Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber release “Jesus Christ Superstar” concept album

(Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber release “Jesus Christ Superstar” concept album - HISTORY)

2 Likes

November 9, 1989

8 Likes
6 Likes

I remember this. Thought the world was ending. Same again in 1978 (?) maybe TV went out.

4 Likes

Before my days lol. My dad was 7 and my mom was 3 lol

4 Likes

Remember it very well. People in the affected areas completely freaked out.

2 Likes

@Savage636 YOU HAD VERY YOUNG PARENTS BILL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes