M*CARBO Brotherhood

On This Day - History.com

In Cambodia, the U.S. ambassador and his staff leave Phnom Penh when the U.S. Navy conducts its evacuation effort, Operation Eagle. On April 3, 1975, as the communist Khmer Rouge forces closed in for the final assault on the capital city, U.S. forces were put on alert for the impending embassy evacuation. An 11-man Marine element flew into the city to prepare for the arrival of the U.S. evacuation helicopters. On April 10, U.S. Ambassador Gunther Dean asked Washington that the evacuation begin no later than April 12.

9 Likes

1861, April 12 …Civil War begins as Confederate forces fire on Fort Sumter

Civil War Begins

10 Likes

April 13 1861

Union forces surrender at Fort Sumter

After a 33-hour bombardment by Confederate cannons, Union forces surrender Fort Sumter in South Carolina’s Charleston Harbor. The first engagement of the war ended in Rebel victory.

6 Likes

@cico7 up the rebels :v: :+1: :ireland: :us:

6 Likes

John Wilkes Booth shoots Abraham Lincoln

President Abraham Lincoln is shot in the head at Ford’s Theatre in Washington, D.C. The assassin, actor John Wilkes Booth, shouted, “ Sic semper tyrannis! (Ever thus to tyrants!) The South is avenged,” as he jumped onto the stage and fled on horseback. Lincoln died the next morning.

4 Likes

Abraham Lincoln’s funeral train leaves D.C.

On April 21, 1865, a train carrying the coffin of assassinated President Abraham Lincoln leaves Washington, D.C. on its way to Springfield, Illinois, where he would be buried on May 4.

Union Colonel Abel Streight’s raid into Alabama and Georgia begins

Union Colonel Abel Streight begins a raid into northern Alabama and Georgia with the goal of cutting the Western and Atlantic Railroad between Chattanooga, Tennessee and Atlanta. The raid ended when Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest captured Streight’s entire command near Rome, Georgia.

4 Likes

Seduction is made illegal in Ohio

](https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/seduction-is-made-illegal)

Ohio passes a statute that makes seduction unlawful. Covering all men over the age of 18 who worked as teachers or instructors of women, this law even prohibited men from having consensual sex with women (of any age) whom they were instructing. The penalty for disobeying this law …read more

3 Likes

“Panic has seized the country,” writes Confederate President Jefferson Davis

4 Likes

April 28 1970

President Nixon approves Cambodian incursion

Cambodia

Benito Mussolini executed

On April 28, 1945, “Il Duce,” Benito Mussolini, and his mistress, Clara Petacci, are shot by Italian partisans who had captured the couple as they attempted to flee to Switzerland.

Mussolini Executed

3 Likes

On April 29, 2004,

World War II monument opens in Washington, D.C.

More Details

3 Likes

On this day, April 30 1945-
Aldolf Hitler commits suicide in his underground basement.

Adolf Hitler commits suicide for more information

3 Likes

May 4th, 1970 National Guard kills four students in Kent State shootings

On May 4, 1970, in Kent, Ohio, 28 National Guardsmen fire their weapons at a group of anti-war demonstrators on the campus, killing four students, wounding eight, and permanently paralyzing another. The tragedy was a watershed moment for a nation divided by the conflict in Vietnam, and further galvanized the anti-war movement.

1 Like

On This Day - May 7, 1954

The French were defeated at Dien Bien Phu

In northwest Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh’s Viet Minh forces decisively defeat the French at Dien Bien Phu, a French stronghold besieged by the Vietnamese communists for 57 days. The Viet Minh victory at Dien Bien Phu signaled the end of French colonial influence in Indochina and cleared the way for the division of Vietnam along the 17th parallel at the conference of Geneva.

5 Likes

May 8, 2020

On May 8, 1945, both Great Britain and the [United States celebrate Victory in Europe Day.] Cities in both nations, as well as formerly occupied cities in Western Europe, put out flags and banners, rejoicing in the defeat of the Nazi war machine during World War II

US and Europe Celebrate VE Day

5 Likes

General Lee’s army beats Grant’s Union troops to Spotsylvania

On May 8, 1864, Yankee troops arrive at Spotsylvania Court House, Virginia, to find the Rebels already there. After the Battle of the Wilderness (May 5-6), Ulysses S. Grant’s Army of the Potomac marched south in the drive to take Richmond. Grant hoped to control the strategic crossroads at Spotsylvania Court House, so he could draw Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia into open ground.

General Lee’s army beats Grant’s Union troops @ History.com

3 Likes

May 9th, 1945 is the huge date, commonly underrecognized in the Western world. But I’m Russian, so I don’t give a fox, even if it’s Desert Fox!

75 years ago Nazis were defeated and Great Patriotic War was ended. I will not talk about first ever Nazis defeat in the Battle of Moscow. I will not talk about famous Battle of Stalingrad. I want to tell a story of my grandparents, and I hope it’s not inappropriate.

nana

My nana Concordia was 20 years old when the Nazis invaded Russia, and she was first drafted as a nurse in a rear hospital in July 1941. But she wanted to get to the front, and so she volunteered to join active service (she had to lie about her age to join). After basic military and technical training (throwing grenades was not fun, she said) she was assigned as a frontline airfield technician, and she was servicing, fueling and reloading fighter planes. She was re-assigned as a nurse in a frontline airfield hospital in March 1944 and ended the war in Berlin in the rank of Corporal. Her medals include “For the Defence of Leningrad”, “For the Capture of Königsberg”, and “For the Capture of Berlin”.

My grandfather Anatoly was a military engineer, who built and maintained frontline airfields, used for both bomb raids and for fighter planes. He started his military service in 1941 in the rank of Lieutenant and it took him through Western Russia to Europe, ending up in Berlin in the rank of Major. He was often given tough assignments in harsh winter and spring conditions, building airfields out of mud, snow, and sticks. He was awarded a medal “For Battle Merit” and an “Order of the Red Star”. I was only able to find this out from his commendation published online a couple of years ago, since my grandparents did not talk much about the war. My grandfather stayed in military service until 1960 and retired in the rank of Colonel.

I love my late grandparents dearly, and I regret that I did not get more stories out of them.

I would not be here if they did not get married in Berlin, but more importantly - if Red Army and Allies did not defeat Nazis, who planned to kill 80% of Russian population and to enslave the rest 20%.

Thank you to all WW2 Veterans - Soviet, British, American, Canadian, French, Polish, Czech, New Zealand, Australian, and others.
And thank you to all home front workers who made this victory possible.

12 Likes

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing.

6 Likes

D-Day: Allies storm Normandy’s coast

On this day in 1944, Supreme Allied Commander General Dwight D. Eisenhower gives the go-ahead for the largest amphibious military operation in history: Operation Overlord, the Allied invasion of northern France, commonly known as D-Day. By daybreak, 18,000 British and American… More at History.com

9 Likes

On this day in 1918 the United States Marine Corps joined in the Battle of Belleau Wood. Considered to be the most significant battle of the great war. It is here the USMC earned the name “Teufelshunde”. Out numbered and poorly supported, the Marines continued the fight and prevented the Germans from occupying the French village of Belleau.

7 Likes

I had wanted to post this on June15th, On this day in 1944 the United States Marine Corps invaded the island of Saipan. The objective was to establish an airbase closer to the main island of Japan, the battle lasted until the 9th of July, 1944.

6 Likes