M*CARBO Brotherhood

Older Glock Mags - U Notch in Sub2k

I’ve seen some reports that older Glock mags of the U notch variety don’t work well in the Sub2k. That true? What are your experiences?

I have mags a quarter century old going back to my G19 I bought in 1994. They work fine in my G19 S2K Gen2 just fine. They worked perfectly with the original stock mag catch and, now, with the MCARBO metal mag catch. :+1:

4 Likes

Wedge, are yours square notch or U notch?

1 Like

I have a gen 2 19 LEO that came with the older u shaped mag, I’ll try it next time at range and holler

Edit … Oops, can’t do that as my sub is the 17 round Glock grip, not the 15 round. FWIW I have used the Magpul mags and they work perfectly, I now prefer them for a number of reasons and bought a bucketful when on sale during holidays. Have you looked at those?

3 Likes

I live in the People’s Republic of MA, where our rulers have decreed standard capacity mags made after 1994 to be illegal. So, I’m looking into the preban mag options available. For Glock, preban U notch mags are more common and cheaper.

3 Likes

my gen 1 fires the U or the square notch, even the double notch equally well. did it before changing the mag catch, does it with the MCARBO catch. I had to look, the 6 I got with the Gen1 used, are U shaped. the rest i have are square, except for 2 they are double…
had no idea…

3 Likes

I’m sure over 25+ years, I have both types (U/square notch, ambi/non-ambi mags) and all have worked just fine.

2 Likes

Not at you GOBLIN, but for anyone else who may not know why that is, the double notch mags allow reversal of the mag catch to be ambi(dextrous) and move the button to the other side of the grip for lefties. :+1:

3 Likes

@Wedge Learn somethin new every day. didnt know that.Thanks brother! spent the coin and time to make the USP lefty, think i will do the same with 1 of the glocks now…

1 Like

You just need the right generation of grip/frame. Gen 4 and above, I think. Anything older won’t allow you to flip the mag catch over. I have my Gen 3 G26 and Gen 2 G19 right here and that’s a no-go with both of them.

1 Like

It is the Glock Gen 4 magazine to ‘clarify.’ They will work in all generation Glocks with the ‘exception’ of the new Gen 5!!! That is why I refuse to buy a Glock Gen 5. I am a left-hander and switched my mag release when I purchased my Glock 17.

3 Likes

@Wedge is it doable on 80%?

2 Likes

no sweat, ya dont know if ya dont ask. I will start shopping around for a 4, and hope they comeout with a gen 4 80% frame soon…

1 Like

@GOBLIN I don’t think so. Currently, Polymer80 frames are for Gen 3 Glocks only. I have my Gen 3 G26 in front of me on a Polymer80 frame and the original stock frame is right here, too. Not reversible on either.

now im confused… some how the thread flipped…

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know what’s going on, either.

“Strange things are afoot at the Circle K…”

1 Like

have to put it down to “alien’s” then…:rofl:

1 Like

@Wedge

Yea Scott, revisit that thread on ‘Women Veterans…’ and @GOBLIN

Laughing…

1 Like