M*CARBO Brotherhood

Old Pictures And Stories

Post your old pictures and tell us the story that goes with them!

3 Likes

This is one of my early ancestors. He is still wearing his “prison jacket”. He was a somewhat successful gunfighter, occasional rustler, came out of “bloody Kansas” and fought in some of the cattle wars in New Mexico.

He was hung as a horse thief.

9 Likes

@Johnksg Too Cool’ :+1:

3 Likes

A picture of the family in Arkansas before they pulled up stakes and pushed further west.

They were on the losing side of a blood feud over some pasture land. The mountain is still named after them though!

7 Likes

Uhh…and maybe I shouldn’t tell this part. But those are both of great, great grandpa’s wives!

8 Likes

20181207_191042

And that of course led to a BIG family!

(One wife passed in childbirth)

8 Likes

20181209_105243
20181209_105252

After the great war Frank and Will went into the railroads…

11 Likes

great gran pap dads side. rode with Nathan Bedford Forrest durin the war of northern aggression, after being wounded on 3 different occasions, he transferred west to Quantrills Raiders. when he had had enough blood, he came back to the hills, and made corn likker.

mom used to tell me about him, how she watched him dig a minnie ball out of his thigh, cause it was bothering him a mite…

8 Likes

@GOBLIN that is pretty amazing!

4 Likes

My grandmother was a rural health nurse and later worked for WHO helping to eradicate measles in Africa where she met Sid, the big game hunter. This is a picture of her in Northern California making the rounds between logging camps. :smiley:

5 Likes

james%20m%20keene%201800 IMG_2697279723699

(Top photo)James M. Keen was the pioneer ancestor of most of the Keen/Keenes that lived in FL and south GA.He was born in Tattnall Co, GA, and was probably a son of David Keen of Tattnall Co., GA. and his first wife.James M. Keen was a private in the FL. Militia for three enlistments during the FL Seminole Indian Wars.James and Apsilla had 15 children, all being born before the Civil War. James died Sept. 29, 1895, at Polk Co., FL, and was buried at Mt. Olive Cemetery. Apsilla, his wife, died four years after her 15th child was born in 1856 in Columbia Co., FL. and was buried near Lake City, FL. James M. Keen was the grandfather of James Wesley Keen, born 1859.Photo was donated by Katherine Walker Worth. (Bottom photo) is the Keene coat of arms I have tatooed on my back

7 Likes

@Flogrown Dude that is one stern looking feller! He looks like he could whip six men before breakfast.

It is great to see old pictures like that.:+1:

4 Likes

@Johnksg I was lucky enough to have a family member who is a member of the genealogical society of Nassau county. She has done all the leg work and traced all the way back to the progenitor who was German born in1647. So crazy to think about.

5 Likes

@Flogrown my mother was into genealogy as well. She tracked down all of the old pictures and stories and I am grateful that she did! :grin:

3 Likes

James was born in Edgecombe, NC on 17 Nov., 1803. He was the second child of Mills Manor and Lucy (Smith) Manor.
Of all the children in his family, James’ career is the most storied and documented. His life encapsulates the spirit of the western expansion during the 19th century.

James obtained a license to marry Phebe S. Foster on 26 June, 1824 and the union was solemnized by John Fletcher, J.P. on the same date.

His family had known Sam Houston for many years, and in 1832 Manor came with Houston to Texas. In 1836 Manor settled on Gilleland Creek just west of present day downtown Manor while Texas was in its earliest days of the Republic. He cleared the land and constructed a log home on the east bank.

James B. Manor, A first cousin of mine. Have been heavily into genealogy so have lots of old photos. The city of Manor, TX is his legacy.

9 Likes

@russ Great stuff! Keep em coming brothers!

5 Likes

Since there are many hunters on this forum here is one from the 1940’s. The man on left skinning the deer is my adoptive father Frank nmn Russell. The time winter 1944, place Vosges mountains, France. Frank was an avid, almost manic, deer hunter. So what does an avid deer hunter do in war, well… kill a local deer skin it out and take it to the company cooks. The context of this photo still boggles my mind, in deep winter in mountains, while fighting one of the toughest campaigns of WWII, Frank shoots and skins a deer.

8 Likes

@Johnksg They tended to wear out wives quickly in those days and run through several in a lifetime, but they usually waited on the second until they were done with the first. I guess your Grandpa was just planning ahead.

4 Likes

@JoeFridaySays funny thing is as you can see in the pics, even though 20 years apart, Gramps looks exactly the same?!

You would think two women would age a feller a mite?

3 Likes

@Johnksg “You would think two women would age a feller a mite?”
I typed about five responses in my head and every one of them would get me in trouble.

4 Likes