M*CARBO Brotherhood

Old Guns Versus New Guns And The Future?

@DivaMarie Yup, hahaha. Touche!! And what did the next 20 yrs not speaking end up saving you, and costing him, :thinking: I wonder?

@DivaMarie Oh, I get it I think, Tell me if I’m wrong… The "“Boat People” (such a proper and truly appropriate title.:rofl:) are heavily stocked with spending paper and that, along with the\ status and prestige, makes the comfort and admiration of their hinny’s paramount.
And your just one of the local clods. You are like the buzzing of flies, compared to the “Boat People”!

I Guess I will Correct last statement as Boat People " Newly Wed’s’’ and ‘‘Nearly Deads’’ ! ‘‘Blue Hairs’’ and ‘‘Silver Hairs’’ and Then their are a’lot of Overseas Visitors that come countries that can’t process Fire Arm’s. The Great Fleecing of the Old Ones and Just too damn much money to
spend,For Tee’s, and Gold rings etc. Then theirs the Thrill of Firing a AK full auto etc.
Not Many do and Haven’t for years give a damn About local Service! Oh ‘‘Please God’’ Move the Capitol and Open the A.J. Mine again!:grin:

Hell that’s Juneau and the B.S. Local Who’s and Service ! Where ya going to go? @ 70+ Sometimes I Wanna reach over the Counter and (B) Slap Em!! :rofl:

I have known a few people who bought new guns and put them on a shelf hoping to cash in some day, and values have increased substantially over the years for most of them. Some shot them once or twice, some kept them in “new” condition. If your purpose is in collecting or speculating, like art, then by all means sell when the market timing is right. I have traded or sold some of the guns I inherited from my father, but only to get new ones. The guns I will never sell are the ones that he used either in the military, his LE career or for recreation. Those guns are not just part of the history of a firearms manufacturing company, they are the history of this man. At age 63, and retired from a 30+ yr LE career I have added to them with my own “historical” guns. They will be the means by which the newest generation will stay connected to their heritage.

@DivaMarie the factor that has the greatest impact on the firearms industry is the internet. It used to be the margins on firearms was razor thin and your profits came from accessories…not anymore!

An FFL must have some “meat on the bone” also they must consider how long the weapon will sit on the shelf.

A weapon like my model 70 can be valued at $11,000 but I would be lucky to get more than $5,000 for it simply because of the difficulty in finding a buyer.

Likewise a used Glock will move quickly but the market is saturated. It will fetch between $150-200 from an FFL.

Political scares move the market of course…after Sandyhook $600 ARs where going for 4x their value.

My recommendation would be private sales through one of the auction sites…just be prepared for the fees and price accordingly.

The simple fact is that we are living in an era where some of the old truths about guns always going up in value are no longer true anymore. The collector generation is dying out and the younger generation is not interested in old weapons.

@Dane I inherited guns from my father as well as grandparents on my moms side. They all also have a family connection and heritage special to me. They have stories and a history of their life that make them something more than simply the gun itself, as I see it, and that can remain a part of it and be passed on into the future.
By that same token I believe any known history of a gun, should be preserved and passed on with it and not lost. I think it does ( or at it least should) have value in addition to the gun itself. A real and unique history, or Provenance if you will, that is specific to it.

Thank you for the above’ Is their a Kelly’s Blue book/Gun Digest? and I wish we Auction’s her in SE AK It’s such a Pain in the Rear with A.K. Airlines to Fly down to lower 48 for Travel with Weapons etc But Great Suggestions.

@DivaMarie there is…but no one uses it anymore as the internet dictates the market (I don’t even know if it exists anymore).

When I was at the gun library we would check gunbroker, CTD, Buds, and others to get an idea of the market…then we would offer between 20-50% depending upon market factors and demand.

@jeffing65 and @Dane that is the best scenario, family history, and sentimental value. But what do you do when those connections are lost? My 1874 artillery carbine belonged to my great grandfather who served in the French Foreign legion after WW1, it was my “toy gun” that I played with as kid in the yard. It reminds me of him and my youth. But it is absolutely meaningless to my children!

@DivaMarie if possible your best bet is to sell direct to the end consumer. No retailer or auction house will give you full value as they need to make money as well.

A consignment sale is possible, but retailers tend to use those to fill shelves and don’t really push them as the profit is small.

Well said ! Exactly as they sit on shelves collecting dust’ Even Though you have purchased 10 fire arms from them’

My Grandfather had the a full set of model 97’s ? With hammers ! my mother traded them for payment on a Medical bill :exploding_head:

@DivaMarie Ouch! But I will say a common story. Can’t tell you how many times I have seen that happen. We make money off of buying guns just like we do selling them…but it is buy low and sell high!

I kind of grew up in the trade. My Uncle Joe was a dealer and my first job as a kid was cleaning and stripping the cosmolene off of the batches of M1 garands and m1 carbines he was buying in bulk. Latter I used to buy and sell sks, aks, and makarovs.

These days I do evaluations (not appraisals!) For museums and FFLs. I specialize in Mausers K98s, C96s, and Walthers…I have my data base of serial numbers, proof marks and history books. I use that research to give an idea of the scarcity and uniqueness of a weapon.

The reason I do not do appraisals is because many of the old weapons that were once valued and collected simply do not demand the same interest in a generation that has no connection to the history. Many of these collections are coming back on the market again and driving down prices because of lack of demand.

When you walk into a gun store these days you see a lot of black plastic…that is what is selling.

@DivaMarie a perfect example is your old savage. If you found a guy like me who appreciated the technical aspects of the weapon, a rotary magazine to allow spire point bullets, the history of it…knowing that it was the first commercial savage and how they lost the military contracts they were hoping for to the modern bolt action rifles, and just admires the lines and the feel of that rifle then you could probably get a decent sales price.

But if you walk into a gun store with it you won’t. It is an “also ran” never got the prestige of a military weapon and is eclipsed by the winchesters and browning designs of that era.

@DivaMarie For what its worth, I have a 2005 edition of Gun digest “guns and prices” book. If what it said then is of any interest I can look up anything you want.

Guess it’s like sports, you got to start them young. Harder to do now days when they’re more interested in video games, even when those games involve guns. I don’t get how a gun on a tv screen can be more fun than holding the real thing in your hands and experiencing the actual firing of it. Don’t have any kids of my own, but have lots of nephews, nieces and great nephews and nieces. Who they go to will depend on who has the appreciation for the family history. The rest get nothing.

Here is my opinion…name just about any classic rifle from yesteryear and I can name half a dozen modern weapons that are lighter, faster, and will out shoot it.

The beauty, history, and nostalgia only last as long as there are generations that appreciate it.

My kids will value my weapons, the ones I trained them to shoot with because it is a connection to me. But will they value my grandfather’s weapons? Probably not since they never met him.

Outside of that they can buy better weapons now, modern weapons, that will fulfill their needs.

ok , i will bite, how bout a Steyr Mannlicher 458 Safari? im still of the mindset, that the tool is important yes, but the skill /experience of the shooter trumps the age of the weapon…

Thank you’ I Google’d the Sako’ and Prices and low 1900.- 2400. Then look at what few Leftys in the Whole big picture Changes for the good for me.